StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for an aftermarket exhaust that either is much smaller slip-on than the stock muffler or a full system that moves the exhaust to a lower profile location. I have been searching the web, but can't seem to find much information.

My previous bike (blown up Yamaha FJ09) had that nice low mount exhaust, which let me get my side cases much closer to the bike than my Strom.

Any direction is appreciated.

Thanks,
Vinnie

·
Registered
325 Posts
here's how my Arrow fit with the factory pannier

I'm pretty sure you can extend the mounting point and rotate the muffler more downward

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
You can just make a longer rear bracket, the joint in the pipe makes it easy to swing the muffler down.

At one time Rick from this forum was giving brackets away. ???

The muffler needs to be long enough not to melt your luggage.

A friend of mine once cooked all his tin food in a soft saddle bag and it was exploding as we rode along, we could hear it but did not know what the noise was until the next morning.

Lucky he was the last of the group that night.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Is that Arrow system a slip on or a full system? Looking for a slip on for my 2018 DL 650 that doesn’t cost a fortune.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here's how my Arrow fit with the factory pannier

I'm pretty sure you can extend the mounting point and rotate the muffler more downward

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
I like that. It's nice how your factory side case fits around the pipe. I use seahorse cases, which do not form to anything.
You can just make a longer rear bracket, the joint in the pipe makes it easy to swing the muffler down.

At one time Rick from this forum was giving brackets away. ???

The muffler needs to be long enough not to melt your luggage.

A friend of mine once cooked all his tin food in a soft saddle bag and it was exploding as we rode along, we could hear it but did not know what the noise was until the next morning.

Lucky he was the last of the group that night.
That might actually be the first thing I try now. Thanks for suggesting it! I can probably fabricate one myself.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is that Arrow system a slip on or a full system? Looking for a slip on for my 2018 DL 650 that doesn’t cost a fortune.
It looks like a slip on to me. The manifold has that distinct cable thing between bends, right before the muffler joint

·
Premium Member
2,628 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I am going to try fabricating a bracket to lower the exhaust and then install larger pellican cases on the strom. Currently set up with 24L side cases and thinking about switching to 39L.

I also like the danmoto slip on exhaust. I definitely don't want to / have the money to drop on a loud and expensive exhaust for a bike that I ride for 12+ hours a day

·
Premium Member
4,177 Posts
You could buy any slipon, and make a custom head pipe and clamp and put it anywhere you like. Won't cost too much to do that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The exhaust system/muffler on the new Tracer 900 (upgraded FJ-09) is mainly tucked under the motorcycle just behind the engine. It's compact leaving lots of space so luggage on the muffler side can be the same size as on the other side. Their system meets Euro standards without looking like a suitcase like Suzuki's. I don't think you'll be able to match your old FJ-09 system without significant mods. Plus, I did a search for exhaust/muffler mods and couldn't find any system like the FJ09/Tracer size except one which I doubt you'd want since its extremely loud with or without the built in silencer.

I find it a pain to try and load up for a trip and fit the essentials for the trip into both bags and top box and balance the weight between the small box on the muffler side and the larger one on the other side. Perhaps its time for Suzuki to redesign their exhaust system and make their VStrom a true "adventure touring" model.

I found this photo of a 2015 Vstrom 1000 with a GPR Furore road legal slip-on muffler with a DB Killer which may or may not be what you're looking for.

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yamaha Tracer 900 exhaust system is mainly tucked underneath...found a photo showing how Yamaha does it...

And while I'm on the subject of the Tracer, I'm looking at a change next year from my faithful 650 VStrom and the Tracer 900GT may be the ticket. Its price in Canada is $14,600 with bags, centre stand, cruise control, heated grips, adjustable windscreen, adjustable front and rear suspension, tuning changes from sport, standard and meak and mild on the fly, more horsepower, a smooth triple that's raved about and its lighter and not so top heavy...add all of this to the VStrom 1000 price at $12,999 and the Yamaha is a bargain. The Tracer may not be an "adventure" bike but it sure would wipe the "sport" and "touring" off of VStrom's "sport adventure tourer" moniker if compared side by side.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts