Strom Trooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know many folks here are doing some pretty serious Adventure Touring that makes investing in top of the line gear a smart choice, but thought I start a thread for those of us using our Strom's for the mundane task of getting to and from work. Even that task implies various demands, as conditions vary by location and for some riding isn't optional while some can take other means to travel if weather exceeds their riding gear capabilities.

I'm pretty much a fair weather rider here on the East Coast of the US, and won't ride if I know there will be rain and I won't ride when the temps dip too low. Lately, I've been facing the opposite problem as the temps hover in the 90's for days and weeks on end with humidity to match. Rain doesn't bother me that much but Traffic conditions on my commute are dangerous enough without weather, so I attempt to avoid it, but have gear if I am caught out.

The main goal for my gear is to have an extra layer of crash protection and that once I step away from my bike, that my means of transportation is not obvious. That means overpants and jacket that come off as soon as I park. I also can't be sweat soaked when I ride during these hot days. I'm also budget sensitive so seek decent value for a decent price vs. top end gear. This equation will be different for someone that rides year round regardless of weather or doing longer adventure riding.

With that background here is a quick review of the gear I've acquired since picking up the V-strom.

Bilt Techo High Vis Mesh Jacket https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-techno-hi-viz-jacket
I got this for improved visibility and protection on those hot, hot afternoons. The jacket is not intended as rain gear and has zero waterproofing. It does have an insulated liner that I have used once on a cooler morning ride. I think with the liner, the jacket will extend into fall riding, but not much cooler. With the liner out, the jacket has excellent ventilation except where the back protection is. I will sweat in that area during the afternoon commute, but I don't think there is a similar jacket that would avoid that. There is CE rated protection in the elbows and a bit of padding across the upper back. I hope to never have opportunity to evaluate those aspects of the jacket, so can only say, they have to be better protection than my work shirt. The only negative thus far is I have to zip the jacket carefully, as its possible to zip without the tang fully inserted, so the jacket unzips from the bottom. All it takes is a bit of extra attention and hopefully this won't become a bigger issue over time. So, I'm pretty happy with the jacket so far, and it looks like it will be reasonably durable.

Bilt Storm Waterproof Overpants
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/bilt-storm-waterproof-overpants
Now these are "waterproof" and therefore are close to 100% zero breathablity. They seem well built, and are easy enough to get on/off over my street clothes and riding boots but are totally unsuited to the hot weather we've had lately. They have armor in the knees and durable fabrics in the areas you are likely to slide on if you go down. Again, I hope to never test this functionality, but they'll definitely beat khakis for road rash protection. Hopefully they will prove to be useful in cooler weather and I keep them in a saddle bag should I misjudge the weather and need to ride home in rain. They also have an insulated liner that is likely to be adequate for any temp I'm likely to ride in, having been through the "ride no matter what" phase.

Wicked Stock Mesh Motorcycle Pants
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D1QJLJP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
So I found these on Amazon and decided to pull the trigger based on the good reviews and super low price. I happy to say I'm not disappointed and they work nicely with the mesh jacket to provide some crash protection as well as keep my street clothes presentable. The materials and features seem on par with much pricier competition. The overpants feature armor in hips and knees(adjustable for height), large mesh panels for great breathability, durable fabric in the seat stretch panel above the knee for comfort and zippers on the inside of the leg that come close to the groin so the pants are easy on/off over boots and street clothes. These seem a genuine bargain and on par with similar products at double the price or more.

So these are the results of my value choices thus far. As cooler weather approaches I might look into heated gear, but this is it for me so far. Hope it may help inform some decisions. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I commute to work on my 650. Weather usually doesnt matter to me.
I avoid the highway and take an hour to an hour and a half to get to work. Then again to get home.

I generally get to work and stay at work until the day is over. Occasionally I'll go out for lunch. Either hitching a ride with a coworker or putting the gear back on.

I have an Olympic Dakar II jacket and Rev'it Posioden II pants. While not actually overpants, I ordered a size larger and they work well. The little air vents suck, but they keep me dry in the down pours I often ride in.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
I've got BMW stuff, Cycle Gear stuff, etc. I liked the same thing for commuting as long distance travel. An Aerostich suit. I cheated and won the 'Stich suit twice at rallies so I wasn't out the biggie bucks.
But, I highly recommend the product. Bunched up, the Boots and the suit would fit in my locker at work.
The other gear I have isn't as loose fitting that would wear as well over work clothes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got BMW stuff, Cycle Gear stuff, etc. I liked the same thing for commuting as long distance travel. An Aerostich suit. I cheated and won the 'Stich suit twice at rallies so I wasn't out the biggie bucks.
But, I highly recommend the product. Bunched up, the Boots and the suit would fit in my locker at work.
The other gear I have isn't as loose fitting that would wear as well over work clothes.
I wouldn't drop the bucks for a new Aerostitch for my needs, but sadly I missed out on one on Facebook marketplace in my size in near new shape for $400. If I ever see a deal like that again, I'll snag it, just for the easy on/off factor.

·
Registered
14,009 Posts
815, One of the suits I won was blown up in a crash. The Darien. I got a like new Darien jacket complete with all the pads for $250 from the ADV Forum.
I got a Darien light from a friend for $75.
Lucky finds for sure but that stuff is out there if you are fast with paypal.
I like the Darien jackets more than the Roadcrafter. I got the 2 piece 'Crafter. The 'Crafter pants I do like a lot. very versatile. I got a pair of suspenders to hold them up since i don't have the jacket to zip to.
The Darien pants and the AD1 I initially tried didn't function as well as the 'Crafter pants.
I tried on a Falstaff at one of the Pop Up stores. It felt instantly like an old favorite jacket.
Good shit but pricey unless you hit that special deal. Happy garment hunting!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 6'5" with a 35" inseam, so I get jealous about all the options you guys have.

Pants for me: Scorpion Trey pants and sometimes Revvit jeans

Jacket: Tourmaster Intake Air 4

Both offer great ventilation and I can survive the low 90s here in CO.

Sent from my 2PZC5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've had a few days commuting with the new Wicked Stock pants with about 400 miles in them now. Definitely a huge improvement over the rainproof pants, but honestly in the heat we've been having, if you wear protective anything, you are gonna sweat.

Pluses are, the pants go on/off over my street clothes with acceptable ease, the fit is good with the knee pads where they are supposed to be and good length for riding meaning they are long to walk around in unless I tuck them up.

So no problem in the cool AM but my street clothes go straight to laundry when I get home as they are pretty damp with sweat.

Really think the Wicked Stock pants are a hard to beat value but man I'm ready for this heat wave to be over.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Massachusetts area: I commute 50 minutes in and back on most fair days, but I ride into the colder months and through them if the roads are clear and devoid of salt. In the warm weather I wear AlpineStars Wake Air over-pants. I have worn them as over-pants but prefer them over my shorts. They are quite meshy and allow a lot of air flow while having good armor in the knees and hips. I'm not totally crazy about the fit, but they're fine when I'm riding. I have a Triumph jacket that has great mesh/air flow (though it confuses people when they find I ride a VStrom). Basically, in motion, both the pants and the jacket feel as though I'm wearing nothing. The back protector (as mentioned above) causes my back to sweat, though if I sit upright at speed the air flow lifts it clear of my back and allows air to circulate and cool. The jacket has a zip in rain liner that works and allows the jacket, over a fleece, to go into cooler weather. In cold weather I have a "cheap" set of lined pants and Jacket that are truly cozy (make me look like the Michelin man in black) but work. They have zip in lining as well, for the really cold days and are good down to the 30's. Lower temps than that fog my glasses, no matter what I do with my helmet/visor.

Here's the winter jacket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UDB0S4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Here are the pants: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4XRW75/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a rain suit for the summer rain (so far the winter suit does pretty well in rain).

I also wear a lighted vest (gift from my wife) that helps with visibility even now. I leave the house at 5am or before. Today it was already dark at that time.

I also wear tourmaster boots.

For really cold days I also have a Gerbing heated vest.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Massachusetts area: I commute 50 minutes in and back on most fair days, but I ride into the colder months and through them if the roads are clear and devoid of salt. In the warm weather I wear AlpineStars Wake Air over-pants. I have worn them as over-pants but prefer them over my shorts. They are quite meshy and allow a lot of air flow while having good armor in the knees and hips. I'm not totally crazy about the fit, but they're fine when I'm riding. I have a Triumph jacket that has great mesh/air flow (though it confuses people when they find I ride a VStrom). Basically, in motion, both the pants and the jacket feel as though I'm wearing nothing. The back protector (as mentioned above) causes my back to sweat, though if I sit upright at speed the air flow lifts it clear of my back and allows air to circulate and cool. The jacket has a zip in rain liner that works and allows the jacket, over a fleece, to go into cooler weather. In cold weather I have a "cheap" set of lined pants and Jacket that are truly cozy (make me look like the Michelin man in black) but work. They have zip in lining as well, for the really cold days and are good down to the 30's. Lower temps than that fog my glasses, no matter what I do with my helmet/visor.

Here's the winter jacket: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UDB0S4O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here are the pants: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K4XRW75/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a rain suit for the summer rain (so far the winter suit does pretty well in rain).

I also wear a lighted vest (gift from my wife) that helps with visibility even now. I leave the house at 5am or before. Today it was already dark at that time.

I also wear tourmaster boots.

For really cold days I also have a Gerbing heated vest.
Update: I just ordered a Klim Hardanger onesie. I should have it tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
I ride a bike to work pretty frequently. I've got a Joe Rocket Atomic 5 with a ForceField Body Armour back plate in it. For pants, I typically just wear my non protective dress pants unless it is getting colder, then I have some Icon Overlord overpants that I keep in one of the side bags to wear. The pants run long, so at 6ft they are even a little long on me. My boots are some Dickies steel toe work boots.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Update: I just ordered a Klim Hardanger onesie. I should have it tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Another update: I've now been riding in my Hardanger for about a week and a half. I got an X-Large: I'm 6'2", 220 with a 33" inseam. It fits perfectly so their sizing chart is very accurate. I did all of the measurements and was just outside of the Large ranges.

The first day I wore it to work was hot. On my commute home from Boston I opened all the vents and was pleasantly surprised at the airflow, at speed. I was a bit warm in slow moving traffic but that's to be expected. Just has I hit the first of two exits I can take to get home the skies opened up and I was in a deluge for about 15 minutes. Since I was so close to home I persevered and the suit protected me pretty well. The vents did let in quite a bit of water, though, which isn't a surprise . . . it was truly a downpour ... so I don't blame the suit for that. The key to that ride was how comfortable I was with the vents open on a mid-nineties day here in MA.

The next time I rode in to work my weather app said "clear skies" but because I leave around 5am I still closed the vents since it was in the low sixties F. Sure enough, the minute I was on the highway (95 north) it began to rain. It rained steadily (not a deluge) all the way in to Boston and the suit was fantastic at keeping me dry.

Other than the initial stiffness of the zipper and my clutziness at hooking it up the suit is on and/or off really quickly.

Another "test", if you will, was when I met up with a friend for breakfast. I put on the suit, rode 25 minutes to the restaurant, took the suit off and put it in my top-box and then after breakfast put it back on and took off. It was very convenient and again, comfortable.

So far so good.

Just don't ride in a deluge with the vents open .... :surprise: :grin2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts