StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I had a 2006 SV1000S I say had because I totaled it last week. There was a forum they had that listed all common problems and complaints I looked through it religiously before I bought mine. Had wonderful information and the honesty of the owners was wonderful. I have read about the Clutch chudder but are there any other things that need to be kept under advisement when looking at a used one? Thanks in advance for any information or helpful hints. Looking forward to a settlement so I can get back on 2 wheels again :yesnod:

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
The most common complaint I know of is that the fueling is lean from the factory and a remap or Power-Commander type of device is needed.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
An occasional complaint about magnets coming loose from the magneto rotor has become significantly more than occasional.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 2006 DL1000 had 11000 mi. when bought, now 51500mi. Same engine
as SV only detuned slightly. My bike packs double then I add luggage I'm
almost 300lbs. Most confortable bike seat I haveever had. But ofcourse
thats a personal thing. My last trip was fromMercedes Tx. to Durango Co.
760 mi first day to Roswell NM. I would hop on this one & go any where in
Cont U S. Will buy another when this is done. One of my sons is looking for 1
now. My previous bike ST1300, it just got too heavy as I'm 74 yrs old &
been riding sinse teenager. I was put on the DL by an SV owner, he
told me it had basicly same engine. He had over 70,000 k. with no trouble.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is very reassuring as I am looking for something that will last a while. Don't get to ride as much as I like but had almost 20,000 on the SV just entering the sixth year of riding on it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Keep in mind the inherent bias of message boards. People never post when everything is fine, but post like Hell when there's a problem. I think of all the boards I watch, the wee/Vee boards have the least :furious: posts, so that should tell you something :thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The SV website I was on went so far that they were listing fasteners to check and how many miles to check them because of the vibration from the engine.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Suzuki does seem fastener paranoid. Some V-Strom torque specs are overly high by industry standards and more fasteners seem to get Loctite each model year. The scheduled maintenance includes checking some fasteners at 600 miles but not after that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The funny thing is the SV lost one of the bolts that holds the kickstand, thus causing the safety switch to kill the engine at speed. Yep V-twins vibrate but it feels so good.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Much better sprocket ratio for Vee

Don't get used to it, fix it. 16/43 or 17/45 sprocket setup will give you a much livelier and responsive motor/bike mating. The only people who don't prefer this setup are those who spend most of their time on the interstates or similar long, high-speed state highways. But even then I don't get it, since the bike redlines at 9500 rpm you can go 80 mph all day and never get close to stressing the motor with high rev. Plus in overdrive at interstate speeds you're already on the upslope toward the max torque point so you almost never need to downshift to pass someone, even when fully loaded-- just roll on more throttle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Kickstand switch seems to happen on a lot of Suzukis. Check for small oil leaks around the countershaft and clutch rod area if buying used.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I am on my 2nd DL1000. An 03 and now now 07 Combined 47,000 miles. Only issue on my 07 is had to replace water pump seals.
Love the handling and motor. Wish it had ABS and better seat.

Other than that only issue is with some Wee650 owners and their dreaded Napoleon complex disorder....:^)

·
Registered
77 Posts
The biggest problem I have had with my vee is when I ride to work in the mornings the thing feels like it has a steering/handling problem. It just dont want to turn into the work parking lot :confused: It does the same on the way home, It just dont wanna go in the shop. As long as you bypass home or work everything seems just excellent :hurray:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The biggest problem I have had with my vee is when I ride to work in the mornings the thing feels like it has a steering/handling problem. It just dont want to turn into the work parking lot :confused: It does the same on the way home, It just dont wanna go in the shop. As long as you bypass home or work everything seems just excellent :hurray:
:yesnod: Sounds like the bike may have some separation anxiety. Best not to leave it alone too long.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The front brakes are the worst I have ever experienced. I am used to them now, but the first day I owned the Vee I had to check that the rotors didn't have contamination on them.

The rear brakes, on the other hand, are the very best I've ever had. Maybe it's just the weight bias?

Clutch chudder and lean fuelling seem to be the biggest complaints but these can both be fixed. I haven't made any changes in these areas as I don't seem to have any fuelling issues and the clutch chudder doesn't annoy me enough to spend money on it.

Basically the bike has the finesse of a sledgehammer, which I find appealing. I think many of the complaints come from people trying to change the basic nature of the bike into something more civilised which is always going to end in tears.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts