StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Temp Gauge- sits at 3 bars when warmed up. Never goes higher but never drops, even at high speed in cold temps. Normal or do I need to look for air bubbles?

Fuel Gauge- 1 bar 100 k, 2 bars – 200 k, 3 bars almost 300 k, At 2 bars left it has the annoying flashing gas pump but in only 50 k more it is down to 1 bar and flashing like crazy. Still had more than 1 US gallon left in it?

PS 1st tank 50 MPG US, 2nd tank 47 MPG US including some high speed runs

Clock- Yes I read the manual but am still unable to set it properly. I wonder if it’s defective as the dealership didn’t set it to the right time.
Is there a secret?

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have the same three bars. Never varies. I'll see when the weather gets warmer. If you had bubbles you would be probably getting more than three bars. Good cooling systems keep the temperature at a constant value. They don't yo yo all over the place. I have not tried the clock. I'll try it tomorrow. I got about 52 mpg on my first full tank. That included one trip to Manhattan in bumper to bumper traffic. I have only 560 miles on it so far so I'll see how it goes. Very happy with the bike. The fuel injection is a pleasure. The bike is very smooth. No points with vibrations whatsoever. I think it will make a great long distance bike.
Shoot me but I can't see the need for a 1000 cc bike. Some mention that they need the extra horsepower. But that argument can be taken 250cc at at time all the way up to 2000 ccs.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Temp gauge

I found this discussion to be interesting.

The temp gauge on my '03 DL1000 V-Strom does move around some - anywhere from 2 to 4 bars. The temp will climb, for instance, if I am idleing at a stop light for a while on a very hot day. When I get moving again, the gauge will soon drop back a bar.

My '03 Burgman 650 scooter consistently shows 3 bars though, just like your 650 V-Stroms are doing. I've ridden it in 19 degree temperatures and 90 degree temperatures - always shows steady at 3 bars once it has warmed up.

As far as the fuel gauge goes, both machines do pretty much the same stuff, and yes, they get a little wierd as fuel level drops below 3 bars. I don't rely on it. Both machines have dual tripmeters. I reset the second one to zero miles whenever I fill the tank. That way I can always tell how many miles I've traveled on the tank. I try to stop for gas at about 160 miles, particularly if I'm riding in rural areas. I know that is pretty conservative, I could go further, but running out of gas does not seem like something I want to experience.

I have had no issues with either clock - the one on the Burgman is easier to set though. It has dedicated buttons - one for minutes, one for hours. I'll probably have to pull out the V-Strom owner's manual tomorrow when I'm resetting for the time change.

The power thing... I have one machine that is less powerful (and heavier) than your rides - and it still has more than enough power to be fun. I will not hesitate to take it touring this Summer. My 1000cc V-Strom has a set of Remus exhaust cannisters on it which further increase horsepower and torque by about 10% according to the dyno runs. It's very quick and has a very satisfying torquey power delivery. Do I really need that level of power? No. Do I enjoy it? Yes I do at times. But if the 650 version had been available last year, I'm not sure which one I would have purchased. It's nice to have choices.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Clock trouble

I picked up a black 650 on Tuesday(a beauty). I am having trouble setting the clock. The instructions are very straight forward. It does not set as it should. Sadly, the weather in Vermont makes it hard to ride much. But that is why I have had so much time to dick around with the clock. And now I have to set it forward an hour.....
Someone will get to the bottom of this.
Joe Mc. in Vt.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
clock

I figured the clock out.

First I tried it with the bike off- no luck

Second I tried it with the bike running- no luck

Third I tried it with the key on but not running - worked as the manual said

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Clock trouble

I finally got it to work after several tries. It didn't work three times, then worked on the fourth. Talk to you again in the fall. (when we must fall back)
Joe Mc. in (snow again) Vt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts