StromTrooper banner

Coming up on 4K miles since last oil change; a few questions

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  arooni 
#1 ·
Hi folks:

Writing to you from Ticul, Yucatan, Mexico. Planning on wrapping up the Yucatan with a possible side trip to Cuba before heading for Belize.

Here are my oil questions (I did searches on each before asking):

* Can I re-use oil filters? ...
My research: Service manual says that you can keep the same oil filter for 11K miles... but I'm wondering what the commonly accepted practice here is? Do most people swap out their filter when they do an oil change? I definitely want this strom to make it to 100K miles; so if swapping the oil filter might help I'm down to drop the extra $15 or so every oil change). There didn't seem to be a lot on the forum about this.

* Can I use 20/50 oil and does it make sense given the climate of mexico/central america? 20/50 seems to be really popular; and 10/40 difficult to find.
My research: Manual states 10/40 is recommended... Looking into the Central America climate for December - January - February ... it looks like lows of 50 and highs of 90s. Seeing as there really aren't that many mountain passes there and I'll be doing an oil change somewhere in Colombia / Peru... 20/50 seems reasonable to me... but not sure if I should try to get 10/40 if I can find it. Thoughts?

* Can I go to dyno after synthetic?
http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-tech-farkles/36663-switching-synthetic-dino-oil.html Seems to state that there is no issue with this. I'm just worried I may not be able to obtain synthetic oil now or in the future.

* For oil filters; are any of these filters lower than another?
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl-1000-specific/51056-other-oil-filter-options.html Seems to answer this question well. I will be looking for the Suzuki filter or the NAPA Gold 1359 (at UAP/NAPA) filter

* What is the typical amount of time between oil changes that people end up using? Synthetic or dyno make a difference?
People on the forum seem to run between 4K - 6K... I'm currently just shy of 4K miles. What your advice considering I want to keep running it for 50K more miles?

See less See more
#3 ·
Not my intention to unleash an oil debate. Just trying to get some perspectives after spending about an hour doing research on the subject before posting.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.