StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Anyone in Guadalajara

Planning a trip to Guadalajara/Lake Chapala area this spring/summer with a move to follow in about 5 years (soon as the US housing market comes back and I can sell my house without a huge loss).

I know there is a Suzuki pro shop in Guadalajara - but are there any Strommers from the area on the forum?

If there are, i'd love to hear from you ... or, if anyone has spent time in that particular area, I'd also love to hear from you.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Been there, doin' it again

I've been inspired to travel to Baja! Is there a good book on moto-travel in Baja, or Mexico in general? Websites? I probably won't make it this coming year, but maybe in 2012. Anybody here been to Baja on a bike? Stories, advice, do's and don'ts? Thanks!
I traveled the length of Baja on my 07 Strom last September for two weeks. I had a great time, loved it so much, I am doing it again next week!!. All the tips, info from the original post are good to remember. The people are wonderful, roads are interesting, food is great even the roadside stands. The motels are cheap most with wifi and pools about $35 us per nite. Always drink the bottled water, always wave at people on the side of the road, even the road workers, they all love it. One more thing I need to add.... don't crowd the center line in a curve. The center line for most locals is just a suggestion, they do ride in both lanes around curves. Other than that, when you go, enjoy

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
I've been inspired to travel to Baja! Is there a good book on moto-travel in Baja, or Mexico in general? Websites? I probably won't make it this coming year, but maybe in 2012. Anybody here been to Baja on a bike? Stories, advice, do's and don'ts? Thanks!
I rode with some friends to Loreto, Baja last spring, they continued on to Cabo and were on a schedule while I wasn't and decided to relax for a few days in Loreto. I found Motorcycle Journeys through California and Baja by Clement Salvadori very useful. Many motels were around $16 with wifi so a netbook is useful for skype etc. The main highway 1 is paved but I felt the more interesting Baja is on the dirt roads, some pretty rough and would be better traveled on a dualsport. The only precaution I took was if I got out of bed in the dark I would use a flashlight to check where I walked in my bare feet. Good practice when you travel anywhere. Many military checkpoints but I was impressed by the people in that they have little and are happy. Wonderful seafood.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I rode with some friends to Loreto, Baja last spring, they continued on to Cabo and were on a schedule while I wasn't and decided to relax for a few days in Loreto. I found Motorcycle Journeys through California and Baja by Clement Salvadori very useful. Many motels were around $16 with wifi so a netbook is useful for skype etc. The main highway 1 is paved but I felt the more interesting Baja is on the dirt roads, some pretty rough and would be better traveled on a dualsport. The only precaution I took was if I got out of bed in the dark I would use a flashlight to check where I walked in my bare feet. Good practice when you travel anywhere. Many military checkpoints but I was impressed by the people in that they have little and are happy. Wonderful seafood.
Man, that sounds awesome! What did you ride?

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Man, that sounds awesome! What did you ride?
I rode my '09 wee. Great for the highway but I would prefer something lighter for exploring off the main highway. DR650 or KLR maybe. Also I entered the country through Tecate which I think many will agree is preferable to Tijuana.

·
Premium Member
3,413 Posts
Planning a trip to Guadalajara/Lake Chapala area this spring/summer with a move to follow in about 5 years (soon as the US housing market comes back and I can sell my house without a huge loss).

I know there is a Suzuki pro shop in Guadalajara - but are there any Strommers from the area on the forum?

If there are, i'd love to hear from you ... or, if anyone has spent time in that particular area, I'd also love to hear from you.
Article in March issue of Rider about a ride through that area. Mentions fine year round weather.
Sounds like a good plan, maybe rent your house for now.

·
Registered
161 Posts
in August while on a trip to San Francisco, on 101 I ran into about a dozen Mexicans on dual sprt bikes,, 3 were on stroms,, great place to meet , Garberville California, great bunch of guys , they were headed North, one of them said,, seattle, or Canada was the goal , if time permitted, it's amazing how it eases the situation , just to say Hola ,, como estas ?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I just returned Tuesday from a great ride South of the border. Don't speak the language but I will the next time!
Posted pics in the ride reports section.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
good info! my plan is to buy a wee and do mexico when i retire in 3 years, 7 mos. got to find the bike, outfit it, learn spanish....

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Good thread. Am thinking of getting the prep work done a week early on my normal days off, buying a roundtrip ticket out of Tucson (going to Guaymas) and leaving the bike in long-term airport parking, returning a week later for vacation.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
SURELY someone has ridden to mexico in the past year or so? i'm still gathering info...i may even go this summer. weather is an issue for me now. I haved no idea when the best time to go would be considering heat or inclement weather. I'm also thinking that riding from fla for 4 days, the nearest border would be the Texas coast area. then thinking to diagonal across to the pacific.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Made a few trips down. Will be going again this Jul and Nov.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Riding in Mexico

Just reading your posts about riding in Mexico. We just got back on April 15. We were gone for a month..no hassels, no secutity issues and some of the best scenery I have ever seen..We rode from Calgary, via Las Vegas then to Cabo..awesome..
cheers from T&A

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mexico

Hi guys - I'm just reading this thread. I've been riding 2-up in mexico for the past 2 weeks and we're going down to guatemala. I can confirm it's a beautiful country, great food, very nice people. Not a single problem so far.

I am also in the market for a taller windshield for my '09 wee-strom. If anybody has any tips / ideas on where to get them over here let me know.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Taller windshield

I rode through Mexico down to Guatemala last April. I spent about a month riding around. I have 650 Wee. I put on a windshield from "California Scientific". It worked out great. They have different sizes to fit the individual rider. I would recommend there product.

Bill :thumbup:

·
Administrator
13,560 Posts
harmonicamoon,

I was in your town few weeks ago.. Beautiful town! Unfortunately I wasn't on a bike as the Harelys available in Playa del Carmen were not to my liking so we just rented a car.

I think all your tips make sense! Mexico is a wonderful country with wonderful people and hopefully my wife and I can get down there again but with bike(s).

..Tom

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
harmonicamoon,

I was in your town few weeks ago.. Beautiful town! Unfortunately I wasn't on a bike as the Harelys available in Playa del Carmen were not to my liking so we just rented a car.

I think all your tips make sense! Mexico is a wonderful country with wonderful people and hopefully my wife and I can get down there again but with bike(s).

..Tom
Would have been great to see you, Tom. No matter if you come in a car. I can still share knowledge about my pueblito. It is beautiful. There are some incredible cenotes. Many aren't in the guide books.
Come back soon!
Pako

·
Premium Member
2,975 Posts
Going Baja with 3 friends soon, look forward to nice rides and great food.

Wondering if I should buy extra insurance.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Under Mexican law, you MUST have Mexico insurance provided by a Mexican insurance company that is authorized by Mexico’s National Insurance Commission. Your U.S. and Canadian auto insurance is NOT valid for liability accidents in Mexico.

http://www.motormexico.com/

21 - 40 of 41 Posts