StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like to zip on out to Calgary 2 or 3 times a summer, so will be leaving here on 28 Aug for my 3rd trip west.

Will keep an eye out for fellow Strommers and will more than likely do that nice run southwest of Calgary (Lougheed Hwy, Turner Valley, Bragg Creek, etc).

My hope is to do one more ride out west after that, and travel on down to Glacier and try out the Hwy to the Sun (or something like that), its supposed to be a great ride.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Apparently its a fantastic ride, just across the Alberta border. I havnt ridden it, but have talked to some locals who have.

Perhaps some others in the forum can pipe-in on this one.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I guess its actually called "Going to the Sun" road.

Lots of info if u do a search.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Have driven the Sun Road 3 times but never ridden it. One of my favorite roads for sights and altitude. Riding there is on my to do list.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Talked to a pal today that has ridden it. Apparently its only about 55 miles long or so, but has lots of great scenery and riding along the way.

If I dont make it there on this trip, will try in October.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have driven that road several times in cages and it is very, very nice.
There are lots of places you really would not want to go off the road though. Unless you can fly. But that is what makes the views so nice

The last time I was on that road it was a full moon night and we were in an old Ford Econoline window van and coasting on the downhill to save gas. (apparently someone forgot to fill the tank).

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yo Glenn, I will be out in late Sept or even early Oct and plan to do that ride. My ride out next week wont allow time for it.
Its a day ride out to calgary, spend 2 days fartin around and a day back. Then back to work again... ;(

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
For a bit of background, "Going to the Sun" road is 52 miles long, and is the only road all the way through Glacier National Park in MT, USA. It is a phenominal view the whole way and just breathetaking. If you're going to ride it, take gear that will work for temps ranging from the 50s to the 80s.

Graywolf and I rode it in August and it was 52 at the highest point and 85 at the lowest.

Pics from the road can be found here.

Tige

1 - 12 of 12 Posts