StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm switching from a 06 to a 13. I've been working on sorting out the 06 and feel I have it perfectly fitted for my style of riding. Taken it on some 500 mile plus days back to back without any problems. I've ridden the 13 a couple of times now and noticed it requires a little lean forward and the grips feel lower. Took a quick measurement and found the peg to seat height was about 1.5 inches longer on the 13 than the 06, both have Russell Day Long Seats. I think this is what's causing the extra reach and more weight on my wrist as a result which I don't like for day long riding. Is this just something that was a change from the older model 06? The reason I'm going to the 13 is for the ABS feature. Is there something I'm over looking here.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Check the difference at Motorcycle Ergonomics

It looks like the Wee has a little more bar pull back than the Glee. I rotated the bars down and back a little and liked that. You might want to go with a bar riser with a small increment up and back if bar height seems important but getting it back slightly did the trick for be.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have an '07 Wee and a '13 Wee2. In terms of ergos and comfort, my '07 is simply more comfortable and manages wind better. I have had to make more modifications on my '13 to make it as comfortable as my '07. I lowered the pegs, extended the shifter, and added up and back risers. Now the ergos are as good or better than the '07. The biggest disappointment for me with the '13 was the seat. On the '07 I had the seat problem solved with the Suzuki gel seat and an Alaska Buttpad. That combination doesn't work well on the Wee2. I ended up having Terry Adcox make one for me and so far I'm happy with it.

I suggest trying out the GenMar up and back risers. They will install okay without needing to extend the brake lines. I think that will solve most of your problem.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I have similar issues with my russel seat on my wee2. I will probably send it back, again, for adjustment as the reach to the bars is just too long due to the increase in seat hight and the position of the sitting pocket. If I scoot all the way forward to improve handle bar reach I end up hanging on the seat by my groin and crushing the family jewls. That cant be healthy....and is gets painful. Just didnt expect this being 6ft tall....

I did get 2in rox risers that I need to install tomorrow to see if that fixes some of my discomfort.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I went from an 08 to a 13 650. On both bikes I went to Russell saddle and 'high-atv' handle bars. I have found that set-up to be pretty similar comfort for me. The other key is the windshield - i carried over a givi midsize windshield which has been a bit trickier to set up perfect, but that was pretty close from the get-go.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just bought a new DL650 and I'm finding that the handle bar reach is about a inch too far for total comfort, and I'm 6'2 in height. I may have to get the bars brought back a bit.

I fixed the seat, tho. I took it to a dude who sculpted the foam so that it matches my butt. It cost me $270 (AU) but let me tell you, it is now a sweet and comfortable ride. No more sore points or constant wriggling on long rides.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have the 2013 650 with the Russell Day Long. I installed SW Motech 20mm risers and peg lowering kit. Feels perfect for my 5'09" frame.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Check with Russell about riding up to Shasta to get the seat position modified just right for you. Put on the up & back bar risers and brake hose extension if needed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ordered some 2 inch Rox Risers to play around with. Should be here next week.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have an '06 with a Suzuki Gel seat and peg lowering kit. Everything else stock and it fits me great. I purchased a '14 last summer and I still haven't been able to get it adjusted to be as comfortable as my '06. I tried footpeg lowering kit, up and back risers, and the Suzuki Gel seat for the second gen Wee. So far, something is still not right. I suspect the narrower seat design and position of the seat pocket is part of the problem. I really wish I could get a seat that has similar dims as the older gel seat. I can't afford to keep on buying different seats. I'm curious to see what others who have experienced both the first and second generation bikes are doing. I'm glad to see I am not the only one having issues getting the ergos on the second generation bike to be as comfortable as the first gen was for me. I like a lot of the changes on the newer model, but as far as comfort goes, I'm still not there.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Installed the Rox Risers last night and plan to fine tune them in the next few days.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Went for a 70 mile ride and the Risers have improved my ergonomics on this bike. It's close to my seating position on the 06 now.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I am built like a monkey, short legs, long arms, long torso.

I found the 12 much more comfortable out of the vs my 04.
I did switch both bikes to dirtbike bars with rox risers.
The grip height is roughly the same as stock but the sweep is much less and the bars are wider.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I suggest trying out the GenMar up and back risers. They will install okay without needing to extend the brake lines. I think that will solve most of your problem.
The mechanic that works on my bike insists there's no way he'd install my GenMar risers (I had them on a previous bike) without extending the brake line, but I know there's several people on this forum who've said they did it and it's safe and effective - so I won't get into that. But I have lowered the bike 3/4 inch, so I wonder if that makes it untenable on my bike as opposed to someone who has not lowered the bike? I did a search to see if I could find discussion on that particular issue, but I didn't come across any. Does anyone know?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just an update: I've been playing around with the position of the risers and now have them at about a 45 degree angle, so the bars are about the same amount up as they are back with the risers. This is working well for me and the brake line is fine. I also installed the Hot Grips which have a bigger diameter, a lot more comfortable on the hands.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts