StromTrooper banner

Come to Queensland -- bring your wallet!

5757 Views 64 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  penguineer
I’d just finished watching the TV news where some spokesman for the local police service was grinning like an inane fool and salivating at the imminent introduction of the latest tri-lens speed camera which will put the Queensland government into the realms of the super rich.

This piece of technology was trialled on the Ipswich motorway over the past couple of months and in one four hour session reputedly clocked over 200 “speedsters” which at the minimum going rate of $133 gives some indication of its revenue gathering ability. The goon went on to say the camera had an effective range of 1200 metres and could target every car on the road regardless of numbers. “By the time you see it, the camera will have booked you” he crowed.

Now, after many many years of federal government inaction, Ipswich Road, the main southern artery from Brisbane to the New England highway, has recently seen major improvements and the work is ongoing. The previous problematic area around the Centenary Highway intersection is now an example of how these major intersections should have been built in the first place. The approaches to the intersection are now beautiful multi-laned highways and I’ll bet it was on one of these stretches that the camera trial was conducted, where Ipswich Road is at its safest and could easily support a higher speed limit.

I know the cops are only doing what their political masters tell them to and that we should be angry at the pollies who seem to be going after motorists/riders more and more under the guise of “road safety”, but the unbridled glee with which this idiot was telling the reporter how many more speeding convictions would result from this camera’s use made me want to throw up. What an arsehole!!! I bet he was the school bully as a kid.

As a direct opposite in attitude, here is a quote from an article by Jed Bulmer, the editor of 2Wheels magazine, in the September edition. He’s writing about the mind change required for riding on the right side of the road while coping with seemingly chaotic traffic in Rome:

“The reality seems to be that, although it looks like chaos from the outside, when you’re in it you realise that everything works to keep the traffic moving. There’s a natural order that arises from the chaos, aided and abetted by the police, to get everyone where they want to go.
At one stage, in Rome on the Laverda, we were waiting to turn across a busy road to take a tortuous one-way system to where we were going. A policeman tapped me on the shoulder and asked where we wanted to go. I told him. He said we should hop the median strip, ride through the pedestrian zone, down that one-way street the wrong way and it’d be on our left. Easy.”

While I’m not suggesting for a minute that this is the way we should all go about our daily commute, it serves to show the difference in attitude when a difficult occasion arises. I wonder if the Queensland oaf would have been as helpful in the circumstances.

Sorry about the rant but I just get so frustrated seeing bloody politicians crying crocodile tears over road fatalities, and then refusing point blank to do anything other than introduce more speed cameras.
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

· Registered
530 Posts
I hear you Don. I commute to work by car or on the Wee and there is always a 3 - 5km 3 lane parking lot at the end of the F3 freeway where it meets the Pacific Hwy. :headbang:
In the car I'm stuck, BUT on the bike I move to the breakdown lane and travel along at between 30 & 40 kph with indicator flashing. I haven't been pinged yet (touch wood) but I know every day I do it, brings me closer to the day the man in blue will be waiting to have a chat and provide me with a donation request to the state revenues.:thumbdown:
It's an absolutely ridiculous situation to expect bikes to sit in all that traffic just adding to the congestion and pollution when there is a means available to move on. :furious:

But smarter men than us make the rules :biggrinjester:
:cheers2:
BOB

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Speed cameras ...et al.

You have good reason to rant Don, the use of technology to extract money from motorists has no end in site. I will never be convinced otherwise that true road safety plays no part in the introduction of these evil money making machines. I find some solace, in that sometime in the future the smart people that introduce this technology will one day be caught by their own machines. Perhaps a bodgie number plate is the only way to beat the bastards. You wear my plate and I wear your plate...but I wasn't there your honour. Yeh I know it's not legal,insurance etc. but it does make you wonder how you can beat these Ned Kellys.
The system of money extraction is all based on the licence plate so there must be a way to beat them at their own game. C'mon people, all suggestions are welcomed.
Now lets not get confused between road safety and revenue raising. I'm an advocate for road safety which to me means more cops on the road not more useless ( in terms of road safety) technology beside the road.
Makes you want to rant, aye? Don.

WARDY

· Premium Member
5,769 Posts
, BUT on the bike I move to the breakdown lane and travel along at between 30 & 40 kph with indicator flashing.
BOB
Sorry that's illegal and down right dangerous and I for one will be very happy the day that you have the book thrown at you. Not only is it dangerous but it also reinforces in the public mind that bikers are all evil smelling, drunk, drug addled rapists who ignore the law and deserve to die.
If you are going to filter then filter bit stay out of the breakdown lanes.
In Victoria you would have lost your licence within a week.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Sorry that's illegal and down right dangerous and I for one will be very happy the day that you have the book thrown at you. Not only is it dangerous but it also reinforces in the public mind that bikers are all evil smelling, drunk, drug addled rapists who ignore the law and deserve to die.
Thats a little severe don't you think. I could think of a thousand or two crimes worse that trickling on the left side of the the designated lane. Small beer as far as I can see it.

· Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats a little severe don't you think. I could think of a thousand or two crimes worse that trickling on the left side of the the designated lane. Small beer as far as I can see it.
If filtering through stationary traffic, as opposed to lane splitting through slowly moving traffic, were legal, we'd be sweet. I still do it occasionally, rather than use the breakdown lanes where lurk lots of nasty sharp things to embed themselves into nice new tyres.

No, to return to my original beef, this smug jerk gloated that the new cameras would "fill the coffers". No mention that they'd make the roads safer. No mention that they'd zero in on "drivers" who don't deserve the title. Just frickin' dollars!!! He dead set couldn't see past them.

These cameras have been rejected by the Victorian government by the way. I can but surmise that even those notable revenue raisers think that this new camera is a step too far!

I know that some will say if you don't speed you don't cop a ticket, but fair dinkum the ever increasing repression of riders and drivers by the various state governments makes me fear for my licence every time I take to the roads. And that can't be good for my ability to concentrate on the important issues of keeping other road users and myself safe.

· Registered
29 Posts
He's happy cos under the latest pay raise deal this will make the productivity increases a shoe in without him having to do more work.
And the extra $ to the govt will pay for it and the pay rise will not upset the Govt budget.

or at least thats the way it used to happen in Vic.

now they have the pay they say we will stop collecting unless you pay us more....

time to stop turning the other cheek

· Registered
530 Posts
Thanks K1W1, will keep you posted :thumbsup:

:cheers2:
BOB

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Nice reply to a good mate,I have the opportunity to witness Melbourne traffic on a regular basis,ring roads and city--thats all.

· Registered
272 Posts
You use to be able to just go with the traffic, overtake a slow vehicle, or one that is swerverving all over the place because they are sending a text message. Now you have to spend so much time staring at your speedo, it's going to cause an accident.

Radars that are put in high trafic areas and set at a very low rating are a traffic hazard, and just as dangerous as the person on the phone. How many people have had a car race past them, pull in front, then jam the brakes on because they have seen a camera, police car, or a flashing light?

Touch wood, I havn't had a ticket in 10 years (young and stupid, and earned it), but it is getting harder.

· Registered
459 Posts
The approaches to the intersection are now beautiful multi-laned highways and I’ll bet it was on one of these stretches that the camera trial was conducted, where Ipswich Road is at its safest and could easily support a higher speed limit.
That's what's happening in SA. There are huge roadworks going on here, and the new roads are superb - but where there used to be 110kmh limits on the crappy old two lane highways they are often now 90kmh on the replacement multi-lane divided roads. One particular road went from 100kmh to 80 to 70 and now 60 though it does not run through a residential area and the road has been upgraded to a beautiful 4 laner.

There are also large numbers of fixed red light and speed cameras and mobile radar units operated by non-police staff. The mildly humorous bit is that originally tickets from these sources did not attract points, only fines, but in response to frequent popular complaint that they were only for raising revenue, not safety, the SA government put points on those tickets as well.

As to congestion, up to a year ago I lived 2km from the city centre and used to walk into town and often the 5km to work. After moving 10km across the other side of the city I either ride or drive. I can get a bus that goes almost door to door from here to work - but the cost of the weekly bus tickets to travel perhaps 100km in total will pay for the petrol for around 800km for the same trip on the Strom, 600km on the Bandit and about 450km in the car.

· Registered
1,816 Posts
Good post scrivens as I feel we are all experiencing the same and that is trying to keep track of the various speed areas,I find I am more aware of the speedo than road conditions/traffic and speedo fixation can't be a good thing,one road I travel regularly passes 5 speed zones in 10k--100,50 town,40 school check the watch,50,100---80,60,40 another school--very hard to concentrate other than speed.

· Premium Member
3,742 Posts
...The system of money extraction is all based on the licence plate so there must be a way to beat them at their own game. C'mon people, all suggestions are welcomed....
Just a crazy thought, but have you ever considered obeying the laws? That's the best way I've ever found to avoid getting a ticket.

· Registered
459 Posts
Just a crazy thought, but have you ever considered obeying the laws? That's the best way I've ever found to avoid getting a ticket.
That's quite true; and the last ticket I got was in 1972. At my age and on the bikes I now own I find 120kmh is the maximum (constant) speed I like going on the highway as wind and noise start to intrude on comfort. Around the Adelaide Hills most of the roads are 80kmh and they are narrow, badly surfaced with frequent blind bends and poor camber. Riding a Wee through the Hills smoothly at a genuine 80kmh is as fast as I think that bike is worth running at so the speed limit is fine. (Oddly enough I tend to ride the Bandit slightly slower as it is harder to flick around and very easy to powerslide on the crappy surface.)

Sticking to speed limits is a personal choice. I'm an ex-racer but I don't race on public roads; it just doesn't float my boat, as it were. Good riders on sports bikes can go a lot harder - but there aren't all that many good riders as a percentage of the lunatics you meet up in the Hills. So far in the last year I've had 3 near head-ons from sports riders - caught one on the videocam a couple of weeks ago which is on the link in my sig, with the Strom going from 80kmh to 10 in about 30 feet. What we get up here are radar guns in the bushes on long downhill sweepers where it takes a conscious effort to keep from rolling over the limit enough to be pinged. We also have the same thing windinhair refers to - one one local 1km stretch the limit goes 60-50-25-50-60-50-60-50, with the last 60 zone being around 100m long and on a corner. Guess where the radar car is usually. There are quite a few other roads the same and it means even if you are trying to keep to the limits you are continually looking at the speedo, and if you own more than one vehicle you have to remember the conversion of the speedo error for whatever you are riding or driving. As an example, I own 3 cars and 2 bikes - at a genuine 110 the Ford shows 117, the Vstrom 130, the Bandit 121, and the Hyundais 118 and 120.

Hope that makes sense - I've just got back from a 300km round trip for a deadly dull 6hr meeting and my brain is running on about 2 cells.

Edit - here's a pic of a common radar trap spot outside Uraidla.

Attachments

· Registered
1,327 Posts
When it comes to obeying the law I think that generally I'm one of the good guys. However when it comes to government being blatant liars in saying speed cameras are a safety measure I see red! Governments here in Aus.,like in many other countries, see this as the easiest way possible to raise taxes. So much so, that it is an important budget item, to such a degree that it is also included in forward estimates.

Governments claim that speed kills, true! Stupidity kills far more but they can't fine stupidity. Governments claim success in lowering the roadtoll by the installation of speed cameras. Oh yeah? It's convenient to forget; better cars with better tyres, better brakes, better suspensions, seat belts, air bags, crumple zones and slowly we also get better roads.
It only encourages people to get angry at the lies. Getting busted for doing 68kms/h in a 60 zone when there are no cross roads nearby and little or no traffic too. Yet some dickhead travelling at 100kms/h above the posted speed cops a fine days later rather than taking him/her off the road at the time of the offence.
Spineless government unwilling to admit to the lies we all know that they are telling. Just lies, absolutely nothing to do with safety. Busting people for trivial offenses, not stopping serious offenses at the time of the offenses. Yeah, real road safety. Riders and drivers blithely accepting the spiel as truth. Oh look, it must be good, true, whatever...the government said so. All good little soldiers! Makes me want to puke!

· Registered
459 Posts
Thought I had a clip of this somewhere. Entry from Lobethal in to Lenswood in the Hills a few weeks back - note the 60 entry sign. Up to the left is the Woodside road - it has a 50 entry sign; to the right, behind the chimney on the house near the right hand 60 sign is Coldstore Rd - it also has a 50 entry sign.

Attachments

· Registered
1,374 Posts
Revenue

Had my first ticket on a bike this year,:furious: I was slowing down after overtaking a semi trailer that was creating a huge amount of turbulence as I followed it, the choice was to drop back and sit on 95kph or get past the bloody thing, I got past alright and was settling back to the 100kph limit when the blue and red lights of the hwy patrol lite up. The coppers were very polite but they did still give me a ticket for 112kph.

But speed cameras are another story. You've probably heard the story of the young larrikins who sneaked up on the camera car and removed the number plate then drove back and forth past the camera racking up speeding tickets. Good on 'em.:thumbup:

The Warwick police often have a camera on the northern approach to town just beside the bridge to catch northern bound traffic and just over the railway line past the hospital heading south towards Stanthorpe, you can rely on them to be at either location on any weekend. Neither location is a "black spot".

They had one parked illegally at an intersection near the first BP servo one afternoon, its location made crossing the intersection dangerous as it blocked the line of sight south. :yikes:After risking my neck to cross I went to the police station and made a complaint about the vehicle being illegally parked and causing a hazard. They shifted it very quickly.:hurray:

If you want to change unfair and stupid laws then annoy the crap out of your local member of parliament or the minister responsible, they are obiliged to reply to every letter you send them and if they get enough flak about an issue then they may just start to worry about their position on the gravy train.
Complaining about them on this forum is a great way to vent your spleen but it won't affect those who make the rules and stuff us around.:headbang:
Howz that for a rant!!!

· Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Howz that for a rant!!!
Mmmm...about two out of ten.

Too factual, too polite and far too well argued.

Never mind -- shows promise for next time. :thumbup:

Bad luck about the ticket.

We're always looking for radar near that railway line when we're going to Morgan Park. Downhill, wide road, well marked and signed crossing, visibility forever ... classic spot for a trap.

· Registered
532 Posts
rant....
NSW has changed the point demerit system so now you can get a lot more "less than 15km" fines at $150 each before loosing your licence, hmmm?????????????? this equals more revenue and less court appearances per person.
I agree with the if you get caught 40km over limit = loss of licence and walk home for those only "ride/try to race" on the weekend idiots that cant stay in their own lane,,,,this 40km over" still allows you to overtake a semi (50km over would be better and SAFER IMHO)

most of my fines in the past were in this "less than 15km" range,,, probably arising from me concentrating on the road ahead rather than looking down at my dash or on those sweeping downhill bends where it is SAFER to have a little throttle rather than the brakes.

There was recently a propopsal to return Australian roads to a set 3 or 4 speed zone system based on location ie - schools, city and coutry/multilane roads and exit enrtry ramps,,,, like the speed system once was in a less politaically correct, common sence oriented century

Was this road SAFETY propoasl squashed due the possibility of revenue loss ????? would more drivers and riders pssibly know the limit they should obey without trying to read a different sign every 200m ?? and therefore have less accidents ???

I doubt any regulating authorities ever base decisions on SAFETY as only revenue raising proposals seem to be approved

p.s. I have all my points (touch wood)..... probably only because I ride a wee and not a Hayabusa

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.