Strom Trooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here ever ride most (if not all) of this route with a Vstrom 1000? If so, how did it go?

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I just googled it and you can ride the Rawhyde way for 3000 bucks. Yeah, howdy.
Have you checked the ADV site? I'd imagine that the lighter the bike the easioer the going would be, unless you are an experienced dirt rider.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I've been on part of the road. Once by KTM 450 EXC and once by jeep. I turned around on my Vee. She's a street queen. As the previous poster says, a lighter bike is better and the lighter the better. It's not a HP road, it's more technical. When in a jeep, we came across 3 or 4 guys on big ADV bikes. They were big dudes and up to the task with a 500 pound bike. We chatted a bit and they were doing the backroad ride. Most of it is very easy at slower speeds. Some is very steep for short stretches, some very rough with large rocks, shale and such. You cannot go "off-road" to avoid things. Much of the terrain is extremely steep and uneven and has many large rocks. Some is very near vertical with "roads" carved into the side of the mountain in a C shape, so you have rock above you, too. Like half a cave. If I was 35 years old, 6'2, muscular and weighing around 220lb, I'd take an ADV bike. If I do it again, I'll use a 250 or even a 125. At 71, I don't muscle bikes around like I used to when I was young, like 65.

·
Registered
315 Posts
SpokeXX-I rode the COBDR south from Buena Vista, CO to Dolores, CO on my 650 VStrom. Great riding at times, and hard riding at times. I bypassed the hardest section from Animas Forks to Silverton because I was riding alone, it was mid-day, and I was getting tired (stupid stall, dropped the pannier in a rut. had to unload some stuff so I could drag it out of the rut before picking it up). I was disappointed, because I wanted to do that section. But, I didn't have to use the Spot Tracker that day.

I realized that I never posted my trip here. So I just posted it a few minutes ago. Maybe it will help

http://www.stromtrooper.com/ride-reports-route-sheets/244370-new-mexico-colorado-cobdr-2014-a.html

I'm no super-rider, so I'm not arguing with the other guys about using a smaller bike. This is the only one I have and probably wouldn't have ridden anything smaller from California.

Watch the videos, read the threads on here and on ADVRider, and figure out how much you want to do.

There is a good array of pics in this thread, VStrom-capable and harder. If you take your Vee down Black Bear Pass, I want to see the video! :jawdrop:

2015 GraceADV Colorado Mountain Camp Meeting - Sept 3-7

·
Registered
566 Posts
I'm considering doing the COBDR last week of August thru Labor day. I don't mind technical riding, kind of enjoy the challenge. My cousin on his GS800 and I have done a bunch of rides together, including 4 days in Moab in 2013. This year we did parts of the TCAT and WABDR.

We just started talking about this year's ride and the COBDR is high on the list. We're also considering doing half the "Heart of the West" or a portion of the Continental Divide Ride.

If guys on GS1200's can do the COBDR, then the Vstrom can do it!

·
Registered
546 Posts
If guys on GS1200's can do the COBDR, then the Vstrom can do it!
My thoughts, too. I'm in the east, so I spoke w a local about the route; his thoughts were that the shale is slippery and maybe the hardest part for me because it's something that I haven't experienced yet.

I'm interested in giving it a go this year.

·
Registered
14,015 Posts
I'm with bobbyvstrom. Old guys can armchair ride the nasty stuff benefiting from the younger ADV lions. Cigar and a brandy in a comfortable chair oohing and ahhing at such magnificent feats!
Y'all send pictures home now!:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I was just watching videos on the youtubes last night and there are quite a few deep water crossings, especially the one at... Beaver Pond ??? on the 5th section, Gypsum to Steamboat Springs. Good Grief!!!! Almost half the bike is submerged while crossing it. Thats all i need, to stall and drop the bike in water miles from anywhere. I wonder if theres a go-around?? My off road skills are great. I do lots of PA and NJ dual sports on my plated WR450F. I guess im just wondering how the big-Strom would fair. Crank up the preload for more clearance and get a bash plate with gnarly tires??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts