StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm super lame.

I don't own a test light or a ohm meter or whatever.

Installing switched power to GPS and using the switched accessory plug behind the right side of the radiator, commonly referred to as the heated grip plug.

Two wires: light blue and black

Common sense would dictate black is ground, making light blue positive. But... I've been burned before (not literally) using common sense to assume wiring colors.

I've searched....a lot... Can anyone tell me which wire is which? I guess I'll go buy a tool if I have to... I should probably own one anyway...

This is the wiring, after cutting off the plug and attaching Posi Locs:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Hood Bumper

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,350 Posts
Light blue and black. Heated grips and accessory wiring. Black is earth.

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Spend $20 on a meter.

Comes in handy working on a motorcycle.
Yeah... I'm embarrassed that I don't. I do a surprising amount of electrical tinkering (I'm a HAM, even) and I just have always found a way around using one. Thanks... :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
<snip> I don't own a test light or a ohm meter or whatever. <snip> I've been burned before (not literally) using common sense to assume wiring colors. <snip>
I've tested your sentences above and can confirm they are connected :)

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
∆ Checks out

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any pic. Of plug before you cut it off? Or sitting on the work bench.
No before pic. I'll get an after pic when I get home. It's the open connector on the same bundle as the horn, you can actually see it and grab it (just barely) by looking at the horn from the front. Held to the horn wiring with a white piece of tape.

·
Registered
45 Posts
On a more serious note than my other comment, does anyone know what this part of the loom is rated at - could I run LED DRLs and a 5 amp sat nav feed from it?

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On a more serious note than my other comment, does anyone know what this part of the loom is rated at - could I run LED DRLs and a 5 amp sat nav feed from it?
From my searching it appears it's only safe to use at about 3A + max, so it'd be a good trigger for a relay to run that stuff, but not for power for both.

Reactions: Spark

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,350 Posts
I'm thinking that your 5 amp SatNav is in reality 5 volts. The draw should be more 1 - 1.5 amps.
Its on a 10 amp fuse I believe which should easily handle a pair of LED spots and a SatNav. Heated grips would have a far greater draw.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yeah, I thought it was odd if it was rated at 3A, as I'm sure grips would draw more. I'll check the rating on the sat nav again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Just for my future reference; is there a way, or plug etc. to tap into that connection?I’m assuming the (non power) side is just a PLUG THE HOLE THING?I want to plug into the power side.I’m asking this (with-out) seeing,or looking at my bike.Lazy mans mechanic!

·
Registered
20 DL1050XT
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just for my future reference; is there a way, or plug etc. to tap into that connection?I’m assuming the (non power) side is just a PLUG THE HOLE THING?I want to plug into the power side.I’m asking this (with-out) seeing,or looking at my bike.Lazy mans mechanic!
Eastern Beaver makes a connector but they are unsure if it mates with the "new" Strom:

Correct that the nonpower side is just a plug.

Obviously my electrical knowledge may be suspect since I don't own a multi-meter :) but I'm confident that something like PosiLocs is a really efficient way to tap this circuit. If you have small hands you can even do it this way without removing any plastics, save for the inner lining which is held on by three push-pin connectors. You can just pop the pins, shove the liner out of the way, and do your business.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
8,350 Posts
The siting of that plug is surely a mystery. Older models featured the same plug as is used for the horn - but that one is different although I have seen it before so it must be available somewhere. Auto electrical parts store?

That Eastern Beaver link looks spot on.
"New DLs Aux Power Adapter $12.95" at the bottom of the page.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts