StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After two years of riding my blue 2006 DL650 I decided to change its color. I've found great alternative for painting: 3M Carwrap Vinyl. After few hour I've found shop in Poland selling this stuff. I bought piece 2m x 1,5m and started my work.

First I had to deliver vinyl to my friends garage. It wasn't easy but Vee can also be used as truck :thumbup:

Here are some photos before wrapping:

Tools that I needed:

Step 1.
Remove all fairings, remove all stickers and clean fairing surface.

Step 2.
Cut vinyl about 10cm more than fairing. Heat it with heating gun and wrap.

Step 3.
Stick new stickers. I decided to buy stickers with my individual project: 2011 DL650 White with aditional logo "Adventure"

Step 4.
Assembly all fairings.

Efects:

Orange turn signals weren't looking good on white Vee so I replaced them with white.

Everything took about 14 hours. I hope you like it.
Paul

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
How cool is that!

Love the new graphics too :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry but I don't have it. Guy who is making exhaust fiting pipes made it for me. I pays ~$80 + painting

·
Registered
935 Posts
Wow it's like a whole new bike! Pretty cool.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Wait! That's not 2006 Blue (Euclase Silver)? Had it been painted before?

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed your location...must have been different colors that year over there.

·
Registered
618 Posts
That's pretty damned cool! I am always amazed at some of the ideas and creativity people have on this site.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Really nice job!! I've never liked my bike's color (gray and black), so I'll have to look into this.

Does the vinyl have adhesive that sticks when you heat it?

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Very nice work, and those 14 hours shows the attention to detail you put into it. Couple questions though as I have an idea fr my buds tiger

1: How does the luster compare to a painted bike, Gloss, semigloss, or a bit more flat?

2: Air bubbles, did you just xacto them away? Any issues?

3:If you stopped the vinyl on a painted surface, would you be concerned a spray wash may lift the edge? Or do you feel the 3M has super bonding abilities never seen before on the civilized market?

4: Do you think I could cut it and then apply it, or is the oversize you mention due to the infamous shrinkage?

Very nice job! Tol

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
great

Great job!!! Looks wonderful! Something to keep in mind.
I used some 3M carbon fiber "look" to hide some blems in some work I did. It covered very nicely easy to work with. Bet the stuff you used would hide some serious body scuffs

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Does the vinyl have adhesive that sticks when you heat it?
When You heat vinyl it's making easier to stick, because it look like thin curtain.

Very nice work, and those 14 hours shows the attention to detail you put into it. Couple questions though as I have an idea fr my buds tiger

1: How does the luster compare to a painted bike, Gloss, semigloss, or a bit more flat?

2: Air bubbles, did you just xacto them away? Any issues?

3:If you stopped the vinyl on a painted surface, would you be concerned a spray wash may lift the edge? Or do you feel the 3M has super bonding abilities never seen before on the civilized market?

4: Do you think I could cut it and then apply it, or is the oversize you mention due to the infamous shrinkage?

Very nice job! Tol
Ad.1
It's flat. It's imposible to have this effect with paint.

Ad.2
Vinyl has some micro-pores (like gore-tex), to air-bubbles are not a problem.

Ad.3
Glue is very strong - don't worry about lifting edges.

Ad.4
I was cutting bigger pieces than wrapped element because I was hiding end of vinyl under the fairing, so I needed few cm's more.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Very nice. Looks better than I would have expected. Any problems with creases or folds or did it shrink to fit cleanly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
It looks like your front side panels have a small fairing lip where they meet the gas tank, have never seen that before. is it factory and does it help any with buffeting?

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
Pawel: Excellent job, the graphics are really nice.
Good choice in colour too!:thumbup:

Malikenya: My Strom came in that colour blue as a 2006. (Since re-painted)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
It looks like your front side panels have a small fairing lip where they meet the gas tank, have never seen that before. is it factory and does it help any with buffeting?
My Wee has the same thing. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking some (or all) of the Vees don't have that?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts