StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night I picked up my DL1000 from my dealer after he did the recall and fixed my clutch dragging issue. It was either 9 or 10°f (-12 or -13 °c.)​
Here is what the temperature readout said:​
I didn't notice when it went from reading a temperature to reading "lo".​
..Tom​

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, it doesn't register below 0?
I know it registers below 0°C. as I I'm sure I have seen it. I don't recall how far below it was but I think -3 or -5°c ballpark. I will hae to watch more closley (and hopefuyly can't fidn out this year anymore!)

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What it should say is "take the car moron". :grin2:
Why? And how would taking the car have helped me bring it back from the dealership?

..Tom

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hmm, someone here has to have a Walk-in (ride-in) freezer at work?

Reactions: V-Tom

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I think 28F was the lowest I've seen. Maybe the display doesn't have a "-" and won't show Celcius below 0.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Could not find anything about that in the manual. There's a freeze indicator light to blink below 3 degrees C. on the speedo. But nothing about a Lo readout. And then yours shows Air. Does it always say that? It's like it is referring to the tire pressure. Lo Air. but I don't think we have those sensors. Pain in the ass on my car.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The "Air" is for "air temperature" (as opposed to coolant or oil.)

I have TPMS though my Garmin 590. I do wish my car had them as well!

..Tom

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've ridden in a lot of minus Celsius temperatures on the V2 here on Ice Planet Hoth. The coldest I've seen on the display was -8C, last December.

I was hoping to see -10C to hit the 60 degree differential (+50C in Death Valley last June).

·
Registered
740 Posts
no low temp reading, why?

I think that the reason for the cutoff and display you see is that the temperature sensor circuitry is designed to be inexpensive and display the temperature range that matters to riders. This means trading resolution and accuracy for limited range. The alternative would require much more accurate analog electronics and would tend to therefor drive cost up. As a concrete example, I could connect a cheap LM61 temperature sensor to a cheap microcontroller with an 8 or 10 bit ADC (analog to digital converter) and get the kind of performance specified for the V-Stroms. To extend the range much would likely mean an external (to the microcontroller) ADC and maybe a calibration adjustment, adding more cost.

I'm going to venture something outside my experience, based purely on some knowledge of physics. I believe, without having found it by experiment, that there is a temperature slightly near or below freezing where, no matter how much colder it is, traction is not further degraded. If that is so, there would be little reason for Suzuki to report those colder temperatures at the expense of accuracy or resolution where temperature does affect traction. Further, they may figure that few riders venture out when their temperature display limits. (Maybe they want to avoid encouraging the crazy ones!)

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Trepidator,

I suspect you are overthinking their motives. Odds are it was to cut costs a bit.

Plus it seems to me the worst traction is in the temperatures within about 5 degrees f, 3 degrees c, of freezing. (Very rough estimate!) Depending on the surface traditions seems to get better a bit as it gets colder than freezing; at least when the tires warm up. (Riders that ride in serious cold weather please feel free to chip in here!)

(Of course I'm probably riding in to work Sat AM and the temps will likely be in the range just above freezing.)

..Tom

·
Registered
740 Posts
ice not slippery

Trepidator,

I suspect you are overthinking their motives. Odds are it was to cut costs a bit.
I may well credit Suzuki with a deeper consideration than actually occurred. However, my explanation incorporated the cost-cutting (or cost control) motivation. What I'm saying, (perhaps too wordily), is that the performance you see is consistent with a minimal cost design having the temperature readout feature, and that more performance is not worth enough to customers (in Suzuki's view) to merit making it a more expensive feature in a bike meant to target the cost-versus-value-conscious market.

Plus it seems to me the worst traction is in the temperatures within about 5 degrees f, 3 degrees c, of freezing. (Very rough estimate!) Depending on the surface traditions seems to get better a bit as it gets colder than freezing; at least when the tires warm up. (Riders that ride in serious cold weather please feel free to chip in here!)

(Of course I'm probably riding in to work Sat AM and the temps will likely be in the range just above freezing.)

..Tom
That is consistent with what I would expect from the physics. Ice becomes slippery when the pressure from concentrated downward force melts the pressurized portion. Strictly speaking, it is not ice that is slippery; it is the water formed between the ice and whatever is slipping. A sufficiently cold temperature can forestall the melting. Thanks for the confirmation from experience. (My below-freezing riding has been pretty much restricted to dry conditions.)

·
Registered
123 Posts

After a few minutes of riding it dropped down to 18*. I have ZERO heated gear except grips. I was a bit cold for the next 400 miles...

·
Registered
502 Posts
After a few minutes of riding it dropped down to 18*. I have ZERO heated gear except grips. I was a bit cold for the next 400 miles...
Wow, that's incredible!!! I did that "once" a few years back although a few degrees warmer than that, same distance, no heated gear at all.....I'm still trying to warm up!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts