StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the "freeze" light when starting the strom at 34f. Just doing this to keep the battery up in the cold shop. Is it too cold and hard on the engine to do this without a preheat?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Do not idle the engine to warm it up or charge the battery. It causes excessive engine wear to idle cold and creates acids in the oil. Only start the engine if you are going for a ride and ride it right away, keeping the revs under 5000rpm. The engine warms up faster under the light load of riding under 5000rpm until it gets warm enough to rev higher. Get it good and warm and the condensation and water created by combustion boils off so acids are not created by byproducts of combustion dissolving in water. If you aren't going to ride long enough to boil the water off, probably a minimum of 30 minutes or so, don't start the engine. For sure don't idle it. If you are worried about the battery, top off the charge with a battery tender once a month. The battery discharges extremely slowly in cold weather though so it isn't really necessary.

·
Administrator
13,827 Posts
My winter rule is

" if it takes longer to get dressed than the time of the ride, I take my Jeep"

I'll ride 100 miles in zero degree weather, but not 8 miles
I suspect that 8 miles of riding usually takes more than 8 minutes,

Does it really take you that long to get dressed for riding?

..Tom

·
Registered
22,323 Posts
I suspect that 8 miles of riding usually takes more than 8 minutes,

Does it really take you that long to get dressed for riding?

..Tom
In the winter when I'm dressing for 0°f,yes

my typical errand, going to the post office, is a7½ miile round trip

I can run the errand in my Jeep completely quicker tha I can be dressed and ready to leave the driveway on my bike

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
I disagree with some here. When its down around the mid 30F range, I let my bike idle a minute or two. Then I shut it off, put it in first, pull clutch in and restart. Now I am ready to ride. I do this to warm the clutch up a little and avoid the big clunk from shifting into first with a cold and draggy clutch pack.

Idling a minute or two harms nothing. I do agree that its best to ride at least a half hour or more in the cold and not do very short trips. I also like synthetic oil for cold weather use. In the car I do the same thing except the turn off/restart step.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My V2 doesn't have a stiff cold clutch, but the KLR certainly does. My solution is to put in 2nd gear and push it with the clutch lever pulled in to free the sticky clutch plates. Works great.

·
Registered
4,116 Posts
My V2 doesn't have a stiff cold clutch, but the KLR certainly does. My solution is to put in 2nd gear and push it with the clutch lever pulled in to free the sticky clutch plates. Works great.
Its not fun to push a Super Tenere. After first shift, she is smooth as silk. I forgive her for it.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I have no problem letting my '09 Wee idle at a stoplight, but don't like the idea of running at idle to charge a battery, lol. YMMV

Winter is tough on motors that don't get a chance to reach operating temperature and stay there a while. 2 strokes don't mind so much. :laugh2:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have no problem letting my '09 Wee idle at a stoplight, but don't like the idea of running at idle to charge a battery, lol. YMMV

Winter is tough on motors that don't get a chance to reach operating temperature and stay there a while. 2 strokes don't mind so much. :laugh2:
Idling a motor for the 30 seconds or so a traffic light lasts isn't going to hurt anything....Its also not going to charge your battery any real measurable amount.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Idling a warm engine or idling during a traffic light stop is not a problem. It's warming up a cold engine by idling it before riding is what wastes fuel, adds to pollution and increases engine wear.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts