StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to be doing a weekend adventure on Vancouver Island and early morning temperature may be at or just above freezing. Was wearing my M2R leather gloves out a few weeks ago and even when slipping a pair of outdoor leather work gloves over them my hands were numb. Don't have heated grips or bush guards yet and wont have an opportunity to get any before this weekend's trip.

Was thinking of trying my snowboarding Mittens over top of the leather riding gloves. Looking for suggestions please......:confused:

·
Registered
22,310 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
GERBINGS

GERBINGS. Say it again, GERBINGS!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Here's what I do for 80mph interstate cruising:

Silk liners under fleece liners under winter M/C gloves - still too cold below 40degF.
Add handguards - better but still too cold below ~37degF.
Extend fingers so that they're parallel to the road while cruising - better but still too cold below ~35degF.
Put disposable handwarmers inside the liners - makes warm hands, doesn't help fingers.

I've decided that without heated grips, 80mph wind chill below 35degF is going to make your fingers cold.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I ride my bike everyday to Metro Vancouver from east of Abby, and I can tell you I know all about cold finger tips. Like what many people will tell you, get some Gerbing's. I have their glove inserts and use them inside my snowboarding gloves - they work perfect. It's amazing what a little heat will do.

I'd recommend getting the heat controller because your hands will get super hot, super quick. The nice things about the heated gloves is that they heat the outsides of your hands vs the inside. The heat is right by your hands vs under the rubber grips. These may not matter at all, but get some technos to keep you warm!

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
I used to ride with my Kombi ski gloves on. They were nice and warm and since made for skiing, they were also windproof and water resistant. They were also pre curved.

Only problem with them is they are not made for sliding along hard pavement, so i bought some real gloves, but they work in a pinch. Pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Off to the nearest hunting/fishing outfitters, and maybe even Canadian Tire or Marks, and look for glove heat packs. These are one time use packs that you crack open to heat up, slip them into your gloves and go. There are ones for boots as well. A pack of ten glove liners should be $15 or so. They'll get you through your weekend, and save your digits.

EDIT: MEC has them - http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/HikingCamping/HealthSafety/OutdoorSafety/PRD~4016-235/heat-factory-hand-warmer.jsp?bFlashEnabled=false

·
Registered
67 Posts
neopreme

I use my cold water 5mm scuba neoprene gloves for cold weather riding. I discovered this works years ago after using them in boat in the winter. I dive in 46-48 degree water and they make it tolerable. On the surface they are really toasty and block all of the wind. They run around 40-50 bucks.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Right, right,right... you need something before the weekend. What I used before my heated gloves were some rubber gloves overtop of my summer ridding gloves. The rubber gloves were under my snowboarding gloves and kept out the wind from coming in.

Wind that soaks into your gloves, suck all the heat out.

When you are out looking for heat packs, stop by Pacific Motosports, they have some goodies.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Rider from Minnesota

One of the things that I've learned to do is put Vasoline on my hands before I ride. I don't understand why this works, but it helps my hands stay warm longer. The other thing that I did was I bought some leather insulated gloves with the long cuffs that reach up tomy jacket sleeves to prevent air loss. The gloves came with some rain covers that are mittens. These really knock the wind off my gloves and add a lot of protection. Be careful not to add any layers that make your hand wear tight. You need loose fitting stuff that will allow air pockets to form around your fingers that will trap and hold warm air. Tight stuff is get cold fast and feel cold quicker. The other thing that will work in those hand warmers that others have already recommended. Get you a couple of these packs and put them in your gear somewhere that they are handy and available. Even if you only use them when you stop, they'll warm you up fast when you get a chance to use them. They are the big equalizer for recovering fast. Have a safe trip. (And get some hand guards to knock that wind off your hands when you can afford 'em.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all

Will likely try snowboarding mitts with heat packs inside and may also get those gloves recommended at princess auto for ATV's and motorcycles but definitely mitten style. Love those douchers at Pacific BMW where i stopped on way home for convenience sake yesterday. They want 100-250 dollars for winter gloves ....some gortex and other kinds. I was expecting them to be pricey but wow. I know as a niche market we have to pay ridiculous prices for things but come on!!! I will be adding bush guards and heated grips or gloves at some point but their "Hey you get what pay" for attitude kills me!!! I know it is generally true but they are notoriously over priced.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I have a lot of respect for those of you who can tolerate the cold as well as you do. Living in the South has REALLY spoiled me. If it drops much below 50 degrees, the bike stays parked and I'm taking my cage. Be safe ya'll.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Uphill, left hand in jacket.

Downhill, right hand in jacket.

·
Administrator
13,670 Posts
Just put on your ski/snowbaord gloves or mitts and ride away. Don't overthink it!

if you do it on a regular basis there is lots you can do but short term jsut put on whatever you have handy that's warm.

..Tom

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Just put on your ski/snowbaord gloves or mitts and ride away. Don't overthink it!

if you do it on a regular basis there is lots you can do but short term jsut put on whatever you have handy that's warm.

..Tom
That's how I came to my uphill/downhill method.

I had decent winter gloves, but they eventually proved inadequate.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
One of the things that I've learned to do is put Vasoline on my hands before I ride. I don't understand why this works, but it helps my hands stay warm longer.
The vaseline, or any hand lotion for that matter, keeps the wind from evaporating the moisture from your skin. When the moisture in your skin evaporates, heat goes with it.

I was in Canadian Tire the other day and saw some battery heated snowmobile mitts on clearance for $29.99. They'd probably do the job for you quite well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts