StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No question here, just a comment on cold weather riding.

This is my third autumn with the V and I am finding that my riding season has really been extended compared to when I was on my KLR. Part of it is my new Revit jacket which is much better than my old Frank Thomas, but mostly it's the improved weather protection on the V. I installed heated grips which really help too. I even rode to work one morning with the snowflake icon on my dash and it really wasn't too bad.

I'm finding that >8 Celsius seems to be the sweet spot, at least for my 1/2 hour commute. I don't see too many other bikes out there once November hits, but I'm really enjoying it.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It's nice riding late in the season after all the leaves have fallen. And having good gear goes such a long way to being comfortable.

Compared to my previous bikes I find that the Strom keeps most of the wind off my knees and torso. Hands and feet still get pretty cold, so anything below 10deg and I'm using heated gloves and jacket. Anything below 5deg and I bust out the heated socks.

Hoping to ride all winter again!

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
I'm commuting every day (except that day a week or two ago) when there was snow on the roads and the next days when all my roads were ice)

Thankfully it hasn't really gotten cold yet.. -3 when I left home this morning and when I got to work an hour later it was a balmy -1 here.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Going out tomorrow on the Strom but took the CBF over to fill up with fuel Damn the tires were squirrely...not sure if down on pressure or just slippy in the cold. Can't wind it out the way it felt. We'll see what's up in the daylight....got battery topped up and premium fuel. Noticed the tires looked shiny - it's been sitting since end of July. Started just fine once battery was up.

Juste paddling around the driveway bloody leaves are slippery in boots....

•••

11 tomorrow....Forks time or maybe St Jacobs for lunch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm commuting every day (except that day a week or two ago) when there was snow on the roads and the next days when all my roads were ice)

Thankfully it hasn't really gotten cold yet.. -3 when I left home this morning and when I got to work an hour later it was a balmy -1 here.

..Tom
That's ballsy. What gear are you using? You're commuting 1 hour each way?

·
Super Moderator
13,106 Posts
That's ballsy. What gear are you using? Your commuting 1 hour each way?
From Port Perry to Hwy 407 and Weston Rd, about 80 km depending on which way I take. It could be 50 minutes if I went the fastest way but generally take a slightly slower route to cut down on 407 bills.

Gear is whatever street clothes I need to wear at work (suit pants, cotton shirt with my Suit jacket in my topcase) from around freezing and colder Fleace pants from Aerostitch over my work pants, heated jacket over my cotton dress shirt, soft shell over that (on colder days a thin layer between the heated and the soft shell) and my Aerostich Roadcrafter over all that. Socks are Tilley Travel Dress socks in my Alpinestar Web Goretext boots (as I am getting older I am starting to add an extra layer on my feet. Ten years ago the boots and socks were good to -15 for 50 minutes to an hour commute.)

..Tom

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice to see riders extending the riding season. I haven't been on my Wee for awhile but now that the leaves have mostly fallen and have been blow/washed off the roads I'm hoping to get in a few rides before the snow covers the roads or it gets to cold. You have inspired me to get back in the saddle. :wink2:

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been having a blast this November as well, especially since I only got the Vee2 at the end of October. The first thing I noticed was that it just didn't feel as cold as when I ride my old Honda late in the season... mind you that is a naked bike where the Strom as a bit more wind protection. I also just installed Oxford heated grips which are quite nice, although without hand guards the wind still bites the top of my hands even when the palms are toasty.

Unfortunately when I was out today I noticed that some municipalities are already putting down de-icing brine spray even though there is no snow in the forecast... I made sure to wash the bike thoroughly when I got home! I don't mind the cold, but I don't want that crap eating away at my bike :p

·
Premium Member
4,668 Posts
Glad to have an extended season again ...got in a lot of riding last year from mid Sept to end of the year including US trips even in November. Conditions not as conducive to that kind of extension this year but this week looks good.

Having been in Australia til Oct 29th from end of July the whole Sept/Oct was missed or the first time I think in decades.

Getting some decent weather even if it is a few hours is really nice....too chilly for the CBF so it's tucked away.

Looking good all week for the GTA

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Yesterday was a beautiful fall wx (weather) day in Sudbury, Northern Ontario, temps at 13C rode all day, however looking at the extended forecast I realize it is time to put the bikes to sleep for the winter.
Looking forward to the site chatter and posts

Still looking for a seat replacement for my 2010 wee...........

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Bitter cold is part of my history.

Ontario has had 150 winters, and for one-sixth of those, I rode all winter, from Lawrence Park to U of T and then to my job in downtown Toronto. The warmest outfit I had was a snowmobile suit. It wasn't waterproof, but it was thick enough that melting snow didn't reach my skin until I was nearly at work or nearly home.

I recall one sub-zero evening I needed to deliver a computer tape. When I reached my destination, the fellow who (desperately) needed the tape groaned and said he would need to warm the tape gradually to room temperature for hours before he could use it. "You worry too much", I said, then I peeled off layer after layer, eventually reaching the tape next to my skin.

Another time, I was riding up Yonge Street in really ghastly slush, and stopped at the stoplight at Fairlawn, near the old theatre. A Lamborghini Miura pulled up beside me, and fer goodness sake it contained my long-ago classmate Ian and his wife. They could not have recognized me, because I looked like the Michelin Man except grey and dripping filthy slush. The lady casually glanced to her right and looked at me. "HI JANET!!!" I hollered, as loudly as possible, and I sorta heard two things immediately: her neck cracked from the speed with which she turned her head away from me, followed by her thoughts, "That horrid monster DID NOT say my name! HE DID NOT! HE DID NOT! ...".

Finally, here is something from elsewhere on this site:

A favourite poem of mine, called "to Mercury with a Crash Helmet"
includes these words, and I think nobody says it better ...

Mercury take the timeless cold, which beat
Feeling and strength from finger-tips and feet,
Little by little, as a fire starts,
Stealthily driving back the dividing line
Between sense and senseless, metal and mind, to combine
Hand and handle-bar, foot-rest and foot, as parts
Of a galloping steel-cold beast with twin hearts,
The fire in the belly of the bike and the fire in mine,
Seats of beset heat, which yet controlled
Bone intergrown with steel. Mercury take the cold.

Stay warm, y'all!
Keith

1 - 13 of 13 Posts