StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know personal preference is most important when deciding about gear, but wondering what everyone's experience/preference is. Trying to find out the pros/cons of each.

Sound off if you've used either or both and what your experience has been.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
There is definitely a lot of opinion on this topic out there. Me personally, I've ridden in sub-freezing temperature with my Deer Leather gloves, oxford heated grips, and hand guards...My hands were okay, thumbs and finger tips get a little chilly but it works. My problem is I don't like bulky gloves as it affects the feel of the controls. Even if I had heated gloves, which I plan on having some day, I will always have and keep heated grips. Sometimes even in the summer, when it gets late and dark I find myself somewhere with just my summer gloves, and having those grip heaters is awesome!

Either way, start with the guards first, if you don't already have them. Deflecting that wind is the first key.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If I could only have one = Heated gloves. I can use them on multiple bikes, and they keep the back of your hands warm.

Of course if you want to be chi-chi, use both. Grips when its slighty cold, gloves when its colder, both when its snowing!

Buying heated gloves was the BEST purchase I ever made for moto gear. Pissed I put it off so long to save $200. Live & learn, you want something that will make riding more enjoyable (and safer cause frozen fingers are not fun) then just buckle down & buy it.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Spend your available watts wisely. Here's an article that will tell you what that is, depending on which Strom you have:

Basic V-Strom Wiring 101

I don't yet have any heated gear, but I think a heated vest would be my first choice. Very important to maintain your core temperature, as that extends to all other areas of your body. The Iron Butt Association's list of tips recommends that. You can add hand guards to protect your hands from the wind without consuming power.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Gloves do a better job but grips are always available. The two together work great and can be run off the same controller.

·
Administrator
18,165 Posts
I am a heated grips kind of guy, find too many heated gloves bulky. They are very effective with the handguards, and allows thinner gloves to be worn. Yes your thumb can get a bit cold, but I just move my hand around the grip to help with that.

·
Registered
818 Posts
i've never had heated grips so can't speak those.

these are pricey but i'd like to snag a pair one day. tho grips are less expensive. i just know i wouldn't want to be wired up to the bike.

Mobile Warming LTD Max Heated Gloves - RevZilla

·
Premium Member
4,293 Posts
When up in the Yukon in July this year the temp was around 1c in the morning. I had my heated jacket liner on with my summer gloves and the grip warmers on occasionally. The backs of my hands/fingers were cold, but the heat everywhere else made it ok.

I tried the heated liner with my heated gloves but as mentioned there is a lot of bulk in those gloves. I also only had a single voltage controller, so that limited my options to control how much heat went to each. I did not have enough power in my 2004 to run heated liner/heated gloves and grips at the same time without the battery charging power dropping below the minimum. The Heated jacket liner was awesome and my first option always. I did switch to using my unplugged heated gloves on occasion with the heated grips. That also worked.

Heated grips and Heated jacket liner are required IMO.

·
38,103 Posts
Being wired to the bike is no big deal. In cold weather, I have a connection for hands, a connection for the rest of the body and a connection for the GPs/mp3 box. If I get separated from the bike, the coaxial plug connections between the bike side and the body side wires simply separate.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Being wired to the bike is no big deal. In cold weather, I have a connection for hands, a connection for the rest of the body and a connection for the GPs/mp3 box. If I get separated from the bike, the coaxial plug connections between the bike side and the body side wires simply separate.
GW, did you really mean "coaxial"? Photo?

·
38,103 Posts
Yep. Warm & Safe and Gerbing use coaxial connectors. The outer is negative and the inner is positive. Each warns against using the other but I have no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Just got my Gerbings with the dual controller. Can't wait til the temperatures drop so I can try them out.:yesnod:

·
Registered
286 Posts
i have heated grips on my SV. i have heated glove liners for my DL. to be honest, the liners are a PITA. but they are warmer for sure...

·
Registered
464 Posts
"Coaxial" connectors come in many, many different forms & sizes, so it can be confusing.

Think of the ones for heated gear as the same kind that our laptop's power supply connection has (type M, I think).

Trust me, using the coax connectors is much safer than SAE when you get off the bike and forget to unhook....and it happens more often than we would like to admit.....:headbang:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
To those who think heated gloves are too bulky - there are newer heated gloves out now that are fitted pretty close to standard motorcycle specific riding gloves. There is a vendor up here that started selling these: Velocity Motorcycle Heated Gloves

They are pricey but far more fitted. There are also the WarmnSafe carbon gloves which are just a bit larger than typical motorcycle gloves.

I have used heated grips as over-wraps or under the grips elements. I liked them and thought heated gear was either too expensive or too bulky until I started really riding with heated clothing. I now use both Gerbing G3's and WarmnSafe Carbon gloves - the Gerbings are better for sub freezing weather and the WarmnSafe are good to around the freezing point.
G3 Glove - Collection | Gerbing Thermovelocity Protection
Ultimate Touring Men's Heated Gloves - Warm & Safe Heated Gear, LLC

I also have cold hands/feet (poor circulation?) so I don't just rely on the "warm core = warm..." wisdom... If I'm using my full heated jacket liner, my hands still freeze without the heated gloves. I also like heated socks - now that is comfort.

If you are using multiple heated items, you may want to add a voltmeter of some sort so you can monitor your power draw. I can safely run a heated jacket, gloves and socks at about 50% power on my dual controller and be nowhere near draining my battery.

In short... Heated gear for the win! If I was low on funds, I would layer up, get some hippo hands and use cheapo heated grips.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have oxford heated grips, and recently added a Tourmaster heated jacket (with dual controller included) and Powerlet heated glove liners to my clothing collection. As people have said, you always have your heated grips with you, so if it's a cold morning or evening, or it's raining, you can have comfortable hands. When it's too cold for just grip heaters, I throw on the jacket, plug in the glove liners, put on my Teiz Lombard one piece suit with liner, a pair of medium weight gloves and I'm comfy down to freezing. I like the Tourmaster because it's reasonably priced with the included dual contoller, can be worn as a regular jacket off the bike, and is insulated so as to use less of that scarce V-Strom electrickory. The Powerlet liners work well with heated grips, as all their heat is applied to the back of the hand and the perimeter of the fingers. The Tourmaster jacket and the Powerlet liners both have coaxial connectors that match up perfectly. Since I have a voltmeter, I've noticed that turning up the gloves instead of the grips uses less power.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I have multiple bikes, so I use Venture heated rechargeable gloves. best moto money I've spent.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Just some random thoughts on the subject...

I love my W&S heated gloves. Most winter gloves tend to be bulky. Heated gloves, on the other hand, usually contain some amount of thinsulate, but not near as much as a non-heated glove. So, my W&S heated gloves are not very bulky. But I do see the convenience of the heated grips always being ready to be turned on. The W&S heated gloves are easy to connect and easy to put on....depending on your jacket that is. The sleeves on my Olympia AST are a big long and the cuffs have velcro inside of zippers so they don't open as far or as wide as some jackets. I should mention that I much prefer to wear my gauntlets ( the W&S heated glove is a gauntlet ) inside my jacket as opposed to over my jacket.

I think the main reason I have not bought heated grips is that I don't ride with all of my fingers wrapped around the grips. I grew up riding dirt so I have the habit of always keeping one finger on the front brake and two on the clutch. That plus I prefer to keep my fingers in a more relaxed curl as opposed to a tight curl. That makes heated grips a little less effective. This isn't an issue with heated gloves. It has been my experience that wrapping my fingers around grips reduces circulation and makes my hands / fingers fall asleep. This is more of an issue if you have tight fitting gloves. Grip Puppies help as with the larger diameter you don't have to curl your fingers as much.

I tend to be a 3 season rider ( Fall, Winter, Spring ) and sometimes experience larger temp changes during the course of the day so I almost always have at least 3 pairs of gloves with me at all times. 1 pair is my W&S heated gloves for below 50F, another is a pair of Fieldsheer Highway leather gauntlet for 50F-70F, and a pair of Klim Adventure perforated leather summer gloves for 70F+.

I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts