StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket & mesh pants, but it's getting mighty chilly here in Utah, and I'd like to ride some more. I've never owned any winter riding gear.

The gun rag adds for the Tourmaster one-piece suit have caught my attention. List price is $369. It looks dry and well sealed, but doesn't appear to have any insulation.
Tour Master :: Textile Suits :: Centurion 1-Piece Suit

Are 1 piece suits the way to go? Are you happy with your 2 piece suit in the 30°-40°F range? Which one do you have?

Any suggestions for cold weather suits?

Thanks,

Steve Koski

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have a Olympia Phantom suit + liner. It works very well, no air nor water leaks. It is wearable under 85 F. 55-85 F without liner, under 55 F with the liner and some electrics to as low as your judgment advises you :fineprint:

What is the temp range on the Tour Master?

Your number one enemy in cold weather is air moving through seams in your clothing and having contact with your skin. Small seeping is fine, but large gaps in clothing can increase the wind chill factor.

Typically, the motorcycle clothing has 4 seams: boots/pants, pants/jacket, jacket/helmet , jacket/gloves. One piece suits have one seam less, making it easier to seal the suit to the outside air.

In extreme cold (as in windchill), rain suits work well (for short periods of time) even with minimal winter clothing, because they block the wind.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I use 2 piece and I can't say I ever get cold where the jacket/pants meet. As long as it fits properly you shouldn't have any trouble. I would think it more an issue of do you prefer 1 or 2 piece. I'm sure there are people in both camps. I tend to find my feet and hands get cold before anything else. Oh, and I'd definitely get something for your neck/face. A balaclava or buff. That area does get cold.

FWIW I have a firstgear Kilimanjaro and HT (2.o maybe?) overpants. Both have removable liners and keep me toasty.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry about getting something with a liner. I find I can throw on an extra layer quicker than I can zip the liner in and out of my jacket.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am very satisfied with the Roadcrafter Darien jacket w/ Darien pants. The trick is to buy the outfit large enough to fit all required layers for the temps. For serious cold add the electric liner. The Darien is versatile enough so that you can quickly stash the layers and be comfortable during warm-ups.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Cold Weather Suits

In the days when I drove to work everyday for 17.5 years, I rode in weather down to -1°F. During those cold days I wore my ski suit. My good quality ski suit kept me warm down to about 20°F. Lower than that, there was a slight chill.

Of course, the problem with a ski suit is that it offers very little abrasion resistance if you go skidding down the highway on your back. The solution to that is - - - don't wreck.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wear a one piece in the winter. A fact if life in the PNW is a lot of winter rain, and it gets in any small gaps in riding gear. I wear it to work , meetings etc, I can take it off, put it in the top box and i look "normal" .

·
Registered
831 Posts
I use 2 piece and I can't say I ever get cold where the jacket/pants meet.

I have a firstgear Kilimanjaro and HT (2.o maybe?) overpants. Both have removable liners and keep me toasty.
Ditto, on both counts. Mine's a 1st gen Killi. Granted, the thinnish sleeves are the weak point when the ambient temp dips below 35 F or so.

TM

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
2 pc

My 2 pc Road Crafter zips together well enough to keep cold wind from my back. Probably as good as a 1 pc suit and simple to put on extra layers. I suggest that you get a suit that's just big enough for a variety of layers, but no too big to fit right for protection.

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Layers are your friend and let you adapt to differing temperatures. A well designed two piece should work as well as a one piece and provides more flexibility.

I have worn a Roadcrafter Two Piece for the last year (about 29,000 miles), and before that overpants and a 3/4 length textile riding jacket. My commuting riding temperature has ranged from -16c, or about 3 degrees F, to upper 90's. My commute is 45 minutes, about 40 miles if I go direct, and in general I wear a Suit and tie to work.

I have a heated vest with arm chaps and leg chaps. I found that I don't use them for the commute once I started using a fleece jacket and these neat fleece pants from Aerostitch that have zippers on each side. (You don't need to remove boots to remove them.) As it gets near freezing I hae started using my old Frogg Toggs Jacket over the fleece; when it starts getting in the lower 20's I will wear my 3/4 length Leather Dress jacket that I wear at work.

On longer rides the heat can more easily get sucked out of you even if it is a lot warmer. I won't normally do all day rides if it is going to have a high below freezing but I'll add the electric vest if it is around freezing. That makes up for longer term heat loss. Some ski under-clothes (moisture wicking) as a base layer and then fleece etc. over keep me warm.

..Tom

·
Registered
22,313 Posts
My 2 pc Road Crafter zips together well enough to keep cold wind from my back. Probably as good as a 1 pc suit and simple to put on extra layers. I suggest that you get a suit that's just big enough for a variety of layers, but no too big to fit right for protection.
RoadCrafter isn't that good for cold imho, I have a one piece, wind blows right thru it, its only as warm as what you wear underneath, my Kilmanjaro & HT pants work much better

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
//
Are 1 piece suits the way to go? Are you happy with your 2 piece suit in the 30°-40°F range? Which one do you have?

Any suggestions for cold weather suits?

Thanks,

Steve Koski
I have both: Olympia AST jacket plus Ranger II pants, and the one-piece Olympia Phantom. In the Summer I wear an Olympia AirGlide jacket+pants 95% of the time.

I find myself wearing the one-piece much more often than the two pieces in cool weather. If it's going to rain or be very cold, I always take it.

But don't size it the same way. I bought one whole size bigger so I can wear as many layers as I want. It comes with a full length liner but I almost never use that. Most of the time I use the top liner from the AST, or a heated Gerbing jacket.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the wealth of info. At this point I'm leaning pretty heavy towards the yellow Olympia one piece unit. Visible, good reviews from two guys here. What's not to like?

·
Administrator
13,742 Posts
Thanks for the wealth of info. At this point I'm leaning pretty heavy towards the yellow Olympia one piece unit. Visible, good reviews from two guys here. What's not to like?
Maybe that it's yellow? ;)

..Tom

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have the Fieldsheer One-Piece Textile Suit (Cyclone).

Pluses:

1. Fits over my work clothes, etc perfectly.
2. Totally Waterproof. I have ridden it about 6 times in driving rainstorms that lasted for hours. Not one drop got in.
3. Very Warm, with or without insulated liner (I wear it w/o liner and simply put on my Gerbings if it is that cold (which it is mostly in December - February here in St. Louis area.

Minuses:

1. Even with vents open almost discernible air gets through. For me at least it is strictly a <55 - 60 degree suit.
2. Has a built-in permanent watherproof liner that comes almost up to your chest. Makes ti a royal pain to put on.
3. Have to pull it almost all the way down in order to use the facilities --- unlike other suits (stitch etc.) that don't have a waterproof liner coming all the way up to your chest.

Conclusion:

Once on the suit is comfortable, water and snow proof and easy to like. It is very warm though so I only wear it when temperature is going to stay below 55 degrees or so.

Worth keeping but not a 4 season suit by any stretch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts