StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any recommendations for warm boots? I stay relatively warm riding in cold weather but my feet get cold and that limits my riding time. If tried the heat packs but they don't help much. Not enough power for heated socks with all my other heated gear. Anyone wearing snowmobile boots? Do they fit under the shifter?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use heavy insulated hiking boots and they work well for me, I've had 'em down to single digits and no problems with my feet, but at those temps I only tend to be out for 20 minutes or so at the max. Face and hands are the problem for me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Boots

I have found that the single biggest factor in warm feet is buying boots that are at least one size too large. With wool socks, the air helps insulate and your feet stay warm. I ride down into the 30s, and don't have a problem. For longer rides, heated socks make a big difference.

Ride safe...:thumbup:
Dave

·
Registered
7,442 Posts

·
Bikeless 4 now
1,226 Posts
Not sure what you are looking to spend, but Alpinestars Web Gortex boots will keep your feet warm in very cold temps and totally dry through torrential downpours. They are very long lasting and comfortable enough to walk in when off the bike.
Alpinestars Web Gore-Tex Boots - RevZilla
+1 on these boots. I've had no problems down into the teens with these. I also wear Smartwool socks with them.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
AlpineStars Scouts and wool socks, sometimes nylon underneath, gets me through Midwestern winters. :yesnod:

·
Administrator
13,828 Posts
Socks are the key...I use Alpinestar Web Goretex boots and wear Tilley Travel Dress socks. They have worked for me in temperatures below freezing to up over 120f.

..Tom

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Avoid cotton socks!!! That's the quickest ticket to cold feet. Smart wool, polypropylene, etc., socks work well. Boots with a good Thinsulate liner that don't fit tightly are a good idea. Most sporting goods stores have a good variety.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rain covers

I've had a pair of boot covers that came with a rainsuit for many years. I find pulling those on during cold weather makes a big difference.

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Something watertight and big enough to allow you to wear good winter socks.

I wore out a pair of those Alpinestar gortex boots in a couple years. Stitching came apart. The soles are lacking in tread as well, which sucks in the winter.

I'm currently running a pair of these Gaernes: TCX Infinity Gore-Tex Boots - Canada's Motorcycle

Good tread, good support, watertight. Pricy, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I struggle with cold feet and hands, and not only on the bike.

I winter mountaineer a lot in the northeast and have found what works for me...

vapor barrier socks were the single most important addition to my setup. There are cheap and not so cheap ways to do this.

they work by eliminating evaporation heat loss.

plastic bags work, some people like to say subway bags are the perfect size. then seal them above the ankle so no air or water can get in.

over them wear whatever your favorite sock happens to be.

RBH designs makes fleece vapor barrier socks. they are thick so most likely won't fit your boots unless you remove the insole, and even then maybe not. These are probably the warmest sock on the market that does not have heat. for me these are a game changer.

integral designs also has one that is easier to fit in a boot since it's similar to a rain jacket material. it kinda looks like Rab now makes them either for them or bought them.

i have both and prefer RBH for the coldest conditions.

·
Administrator
13,828 Posts
plastic bags work, some people like to say subway bags are the perfect size. then seal them above the ankle so no air or water can get in.

over them wear whatever your favorite sock happens to be.

Don't know how well that works for you but my experience from many years ago is the plastic bags make my feet soaked from perspiration and end up with cold and frostbitten feet and toes. It might work for a very short ride in an emergency but not something I would want to try nowadays.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
moisture wicking

Moisture wicking socks that keep your feet dry is the se ret. jstark47 has the right idea with Merino wool. Even thin Merino socks like the Icebreaker brand will fit in properly sized boots yet keep your feet warm.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Canadian Tire bought hunting boots (of course camouflage) and wool socks. I bought them when I was once on a long trip and the temp suddenly dropped below comfortable. C.T. had a store I could see from the road, I've been happy ever since.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts