StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have read all the threads related to those cartridges, but have not seen head to head comparisons, so am asking for feedback.
Both have their proponents, so probably no bad choice, but am trying to buy once and be done, rather than buy twice...
Main concern with the Ricors is lack of rebound damping, as it seems that they work on the compression side, so with the lighter fork oil that is required, there will be a loss of rebound damping.
DDCs are advertised as working on both compression and rebound damping.
Rest of story: 2014 DL650, my weight is around 185 lbs in gear, planning on retaining the Sonic 0.85 springs currently in the forks. Want the cartridges to help reduce the harsh hits when encountering moderate and higher speed bumps as well as sharp edges/pot holes. Went to the Sonics to reduce brake dive, which they did.
Thanks in advance to any feedback and info!

Mark

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would like to find out as well, although suspect that issue is dealt with when following Cogent's advice to use the correct linear rate spring.
DDCs are fairly new compared to Ricors, so hard to find feedback from actual users, hence this thread.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
cogenT

I like my Cogent DDCs and my linear springs. Yes I now have much less dive. You need to buy The Cogent catridge installation tool- else the little sods get tilted and jam the fork inner.

Reactions: mpom

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like my Cogent DDCs and my linear springs. Yes I now have much less dive. You need to buy The Cogent catridge installation tool- else the little sods get tilted and jam the fork inner.
How is the compression and rebound damping? How is it when you encounter bumps or potholes?
FInally, was thinking of installing them, should I purchase, with a long grasper, has 4 spring fingers. Do you think that would work?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Have read all the threads related to those cartridges, but have not seen head to head comparisons, so am asking for feedback.
Both have their proponents, so probably no bad choice, but am trying to buy once and be done, rather than buy twice...
Not sure if this is still on the table, but Ricors have one flow which may or may not be a big deal. The anti-dive valve causes hydraulic lock and can be really harsh if you hit a bump (not pothole, bump) under braking. In 7,000mi riding Intiminators only happened to me once, but this is 100% road. Off-road may be a different story.

The guy who had Ricor, RT GVE and Cogents thinks Ricors are better on-road and GVE off, and Cogent is just better, but I cannot confirm this from personal experience not rushing out to buy Cogent product, and knowing the problem can ride around it. Not sure how DDCs are on the brake dive either.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if this is still on the table, but Ricors have one flow which may or may not be a big deal. The anti-dive valve causes hydraulic lock and can be really harsh if you hit a bump (not pothole, bump) under braking. In 7,000mi riding Intiminators only happened to me once, but this is 100% road. Off-road may be a different story.

The guy who had Ricor, RT GVE and Cogents thinks Ricors are better on-road and GVE off, and Cogent is just better, but I cannot confirm this from personal experience not rushing out to buy Cogent product, and knowing the problem can ride around it. Not sure how DDCs are on the brake dive either.
Decided to hold off for now, as front end is pretty good w Sonic springs. No doubt caridges would be an improvement, bUT just not ready to spend $200 plus a few hours at this point.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
124 Posts
This isn't going to help much, but I purchased a 2012 a few months back with the Cogent upgrade. I cannot compare to stock, as it's the only way I've ridden the bike. Nose dive is not an issue at all. I only have a few hundred miles in my local county before ol' man winter arrived.
I can also say that with a fork brace and Michelin Anakee 3 tires, it feels like it's on rails. I was actually shocked how much of a "rail" feeling this bike has. How much is Cogent? Can't say, but the combo is fantastic on pavement. Non asphalt roads are on my "to do" list for next year.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your experience certainly helps establish that the Cogents are good at what they are supposed to do, so the feedback is helpful, even though its not a comparison.
Should I have a strong need to treat myself to the tune of $200, the Cogents would be high on my list :smile2:
Just bought myself a nice jacket so Cogents have to wait...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Next time if I ever get damping rod fork I'll try Cogent. Ricors are definitely improvement over GVE as they don't need drilling out rods and virtually have no dive, but I am curious to try something different. Besides Rick is almost a local guy he lives 1/2 away from Asheville, and Ricor and Cogent are the same price.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I don't know if this helps any but Cogent rebuilt the rear shock on my other NON V-Strom Bike over the summer. The KTM's rear shock was shot!! Cogent did a great job at the rebuild and install of a new spring to match my weight and riding style. In a couple weeks, I'll be sending the company my front forks for the same treatment and was looking at the Cogent Dynamics DDC valves for it also. I take more trips now a days with the KTM then I do the Vee so I'll let you know how the set up feels but it will be later in the spring though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts