StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
What do you think about the kit if a person is strictly pavement or a typical well maintained gravel road rider?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still well worth it; while my application was mainly with off-road in mind I did just do 300km of pavement today with the sole intention of torturing the suspension, and it was seriously smooth. I didn't think the suspension was "that bad" beforehand, but after install, the difference is absolutely mind-boggling, I'd never go back to stock.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
How was installation? I've never taken forks off a bike before, but I'm fairly good with my hands.
Also, did you replace fork seals and dust boots? Anything else like bushings, oil lock, etc? If so, how did you remove the old fork seals? Did you go with their spacer or the OEM spacer? How much do you weigh?
thx!

Reactions: TheSexyMedic

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How was installation? I've never taken forks off a bike before, but I'm fairly good with my hands.
Also, did you replace fork seals and dust boots? Anything else like bushings, oil lock, etc? If so, how did you remove the old fork seals? Did you go with their spacer or the OEM spacer? How much do you weigh?
thx!
Looks like Brockie has already linked my installation video for the dl650 above. All of your questions should be answered there! :)

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Looks like Brockie has already linked my installation video for the dl650 above. All of your questions should be answered there! :)
Why did you use the All Balls fork seals? Also, how fat are you? I meant, what do you weigh! Finally, does this kit make a difference in terms of brake dive?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Availability mostly! 215/220, it varies from moment to moment depending on a number of factors including relative humidity 😜 Well, as I'm sure you know, brake dive is affected by a number of factors, but I'd say that brake dive is progressive (as it should be).

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
Availability mostly! 215/220, it varies from moment to moment depending on a number of factors including relative humidity 😜 Well, as I'm sure you know, brake dive is affected by a number of factors, but I'd say that brake dive is progressive (as it should be).
I meant to say "How big a Boy are Ya"! I'm intrigued by the kit. Thanks for posting the install and review. Still not taking mine up trails with Baby heads!

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I just ordered the kit. Also ordered new dust boot, bushings, and fork seal. Figured might as well swap the stuff out once I have everything taken apart. I weigh about 178, so figure I'll go with the provided spacer instead of OEM.
Will let this thread know how it goes.
Also when I spoke to Cogent I was told that he heard that someone might be making an adjustable preload cap in the future, but he wasn't sure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered the kit. Also ordered new dust boot, bushings, and fork seal. Figured might as well swap the stuff out once I have everything taken apart. I weigh about 178, so figure I'll go with the provided spacer instead of OEM.
Will let this thread know how it goes.
Also when I spoke to Cogent I was told that he heard that someone might be making an adjustable preload cap in the future, but he wasn't sure.
I was using the same rationale when I did mine! haha. The provided spacer should be almost perfect, as the kit comes with a spacer based on weight :)
You won't regret the upgrade. I guarantee you're going to say "how did I deal with the stock suspension" lol
I might grab some cheapo eBay preload caps and report back.........

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,175 Posts
That's interesting. My Wee1 has spring preload adjusters.
2009 650 2009 Suzuki V-Strom (DL650) FRONT DAMPER | Babbitts Suzuki Partshouse
2017 650 2017 Suzuki DL650A FRONT FORK DAMPER (DL650AL7 E03) | Babbitts Suzuki Partshouse

The fork tubes do have different part numbers but I wonder if part #19, #20, #21, #22, #23 and #24 are interchangeable? I would doubt that the thread of the end cap is different.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Suzuki decided to do away with the pre-load caps in (correct me if I'm wrong) 2016 for reasons that I can't fathom. I'd be willing to bet a $20 that those caps are interchangeable, but you'd have to buy 19 through 24 X2. Cogent included replacement pins for #24, as the stock size causes clearance issues if used with the PVC spacer.

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
7,175 Posts
Surely it would be a simple cost thing - replace 6 parts with 2.
That is why V-Stroms are such good value for money.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
It's possible, who knows. Someone would have to try it and report back. The cost appears to be negligable.
I think rebuilding my front forks should top off my farkle machine. Here's a list of my existing farkles:

• Front cylinder exhaust repositioned from under engine to R side of engine to gain 2” more ground clearance
  • H20 proof dash mounted hazard flasher switch
  • H20 proof dash mounted low beam cutout switch
  • H20 proof dash mounted ABS cutoff switch
  • SW-Motech Centerstand
  • SW-Motech Skid Plate modified to attach to crash guards instead of engine for the 2” more ground clearance gained by front cylinder exhaust reposition
  • SW-Motech Height Adjustable Wide Street/Off-Road Foot Pegs
  • SW-Motech 15L Evo City Tank Bag with Map Case, Theft Prevention Pin and Quick Lock
  • SW-Motech Side Stand Switch Guard
  • SW-Motech Folding Gear Shift Lever
  • Givi PLR Side Racks
  • Nissin Front Brake Calipers from a Honda CBR600
  • Nissin Radial Master Cylinder
  • Akropovic Exhaust. 9 lbs. less weight, 5 more HP
  • Antigravity Lithium restart battery. Saves 6 pounds
  • K&N Air Filter
  • Kriega Outback 32L Saddlebags with OS-2 Straps, and 6 more Kriega 5, 6, and 12 liter modular bags. Four to attach to main bags, two more for crash guards
  • 30,000 hour Sementech Lo Beam White LED w/internal fan
  • ADVTech GPS Dash Mount
  • ADVTech Flood Lights with handlebar mounted on/off switch
  • ADVTech Fork Brace
  • ADVTech Front Fender Risers
  • R&G Racing Rear Shock Cover
  • R&G Racing Crash Guards
  • R&G Racing Radiator Guard
  • R&G Racing Tank Pads
  • R&G Racing Filler Cap Trim
  • RotopaX One Gallon Locking Gas Container
  • ASV Adjustable Folding Clutch and Front Brake Levers
  • Barkbuster VPS hand guards
  • 16T Front Rubber Dampened Sprocket. (OEM 15T). Drops RPM by 250
  • Admore Flashing Brake, Progressive Turn and Deceleration Lighting
  • Skene brake, Progressive Turn and Deceleration Lighting
  • Oxford Heated Grips with settings control
  • Garmin 396LMT-S GPS- Hardwired
  • Rupse Tire Pressure Monitors. Rechargeable display
  • Kaoko Throttle Lock
  • Pyramid Front Fender Extender
  • Crampbuster
  • Headlight Protector
  • 2 Locking Tool Tubes
  • Puig Spool Sliders
  • Green Chile Adventure Gear Heat Exhaust Heat Shield
  • Green Chile Adventure Gear Strap Holders
  • Green Chile Adventure Gear Velcro Straps

Reactions: Brockie

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
That is a very extensive list, but I bet you will do one more item after the forks. ...the shock. I find my bike handles great bone stock, so I'd love to try a modded one and see the difference.

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
I really don't have a problem the way the bike handles now either. The reason I'm going to do the forks is that I travel extensively in Latin America on Ms. Wee, and they have speed bumps down there the size of the empire state building. I hit one once that I didn't see at high speed and I thought it was going to rip out my skid plate, even though I moved the front header to the right side and raised the skid plate. Also, if it improves handling in the paved twisties then all the better too. I'm retired and I love tinkering also!

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
I really don't have a problem the way the bike handles now either. The reason I'm going to do the forks is that I travel extensively in Latin America on Ms. Wee, and they have speed bumps down there the size of the empire state building. I hit one once that I didn't see at high speed and I thought it was going to rip out my skid plate, even though I moved the front header to the right side and raised the skid plate. Also, if it improves handling in the paved twisties then all the better too. I'm retired and I love tinkering also!
Th
Will look forward to your observations.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts