StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI....

I often ride at night and sometimes it will be moonless or cloudy making for a very dark night. This can make it hard to find the un-lit buttons on my GPS, read a map, or find the controller for my heated grips. Has anyone found a light that works well to light the cockpit area at night, preferably in red so it does not kill my night vision? Has anyone found a way to mount a chemical glow stick to use?

Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
198 Posts
I think a chem stick would be to bright to ride with at night, you would need something like a 3 pot led or somthing that you can turn off. I was thinking about this very thing the other day, and im working on some led's just for that. Will let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
578 Posts

·
$orry $ucka
476 Posts
Get a headlamp that has the red light feature. I bought one at Target for around $15. You can alter the strap to fit around your bicep or whatever you choose. Reach over, click it on, do what you need to, click it off. Pretty versatile...camping, roadside repairs, etc. I always have one in the panniers.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I have a cheap little LED key fob light which I had velcroed to my helmet.

It came in very handy on several occasions from rummaging in bags to finding dropped keys in the middle of the Pisgah National Forest at night in the rain.

I think it was about $6 at Taget.

It is similar to this:

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
I got some of those little LED lights that are meant to add accent to cars. I hooked it up to my switched fuse box and it illuminates my thermometer.

I don't however, use it to illuminate the buttons of my GPS (Garmin 60cx) as I know by now where all the buttons are without looking at it. I don't use it for my heated grip controller either as I also know where it is and run it by feel as well.

..Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think a chem stick would be to bright to ride with at night, you would need something like a 3 pot led or somthing that you can turn off. I was thinking about this very thing the other day, and im working on some led's just for that. Will let you know how it turns out.

I'll be curious to see what you come up with for LED's. For the light stick I had this in mind to control the brightness.

·
Administrator
13,211 Posts
Here is what I used:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoCustomPerformance/NeonLEDAutomotiveLights/PRD~0375311P/Touring%252BTypes%252BMicro%252BDash%252BLights.jsp?locale=en

I am sure you don't have Canadian Tire down there, but I'm just as sure you can find the same or similar LED's in Auto stores.

As I mentioned previously, mine are hooked up to my Switched Fusebox. If you don't have a switched fuse box I am sure you can draw power from a number of places including the Heated grip plug near the radiator or the wires that provide taillight power. These draw very little power so there is no reason to not leave them on whenever the bike is running.

..Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This looks interesting... If what I bought does not work out I'll look at these...

Here is what I used:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/AutoCustomPerformance/NeonLEDAutomotiveLights/PRD~0375311P/Touring%252BTypes%252BMicro%252BDash%252BLights.jsp?locale=en

I am sure you don't have Canadian Tire down there, but I'm just as sure you can find the same or similar LED's in Auto stores.

As I mentioned previously, mine are hooked up to my Switched Fusebox. If you don't have a switched fuse box I am sure you can draw power from a number of places including the Heated grip plug near the radiator or the wires that provide taillight power. These draw very little power so there is no reason to not leave them on whenever the bike is running.

..Tom

·
Registered
508 Posts
I use a round battery operated push on/off stuck to inside of the windscreen. Only a few bucks at hareware store. Work really well.:thumbup: Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts