StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm heading out to CO for the first time to ride. Not sure whether I should take my wr250r or my 2003 DL1K. The DL is comfy and I can cover lots of miles with it. BUT I don't want to miss out on the "real" CO riding, most of the "good stuff" because the DL is so bulky. The 250 is a blast, but not the best for distances.

Thanks in advance for any opinions from those of you who have CO experience. (BTW, I asked the same question on advrider and I'd say the general opinion, not surprisingly, was to take the 250. I did get a few comments that many of the nice passes and many other beautiful roads can be ridden with the DL, but a lot of stuff would be just too difficult with the DL.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
Depends on what you want to ride I suppose- pretty much all the paved roads and some of the dirt roads would be ok on the DL.

But- I have done a lot of 4wd trails in CO and would definitely NOT want to be on the DL on many of them, some the WR250 would be fine, some I wouldn't want to do on ANY 2 wheeled machine:wink2: The ones with miles of basketball sized rocks come to mind as no way on 2 wheels. They were brutal in 4wd low at a crawl.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
Sept. 4th I leave Oregon to ride the COBDR on my Strom. As far as I can tell, I'll be one of very few others to ride it. From my reading 90% of the ride won't be really that challenging, and the other 10% I'll wish I were on a smaller bike. I'd rather enjoy the 90% than just 10%.

I've got lots of jeep trail experience already on my wee so I'm not that concerned.

Ride the bike that makes the majority of the trip fun.

If I had to ride a 250 from Oregon and back in a short period of time, I wouldn't be having any fun. If I had several weeks, it would be amazing.
 

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
Joined
·
5,190 Posts
Went to Silverton Colorado last year for the V strom rally. My Son and I were on DL 650's. The paved roads are great to ride in that area, but there are only so many of them and you would have to put some miles on the bikes to enjoy that kind of riding.

We ( well I, my Son decided he was better off watching...) we rode over Ophir pass and that is about all I want on a Glee with PR4's for tires and no skid plate. I think that kind of riding is what I would really enjoy on a trip to Colorado. But not on a DL 650 or DL 1000. There are enough mining roads to last for many days of riding. A decent 250 street legal bike with good tires would be a GREAT bike for exploring.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top