StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch safety switches have always annoyed me, and I've been meaning to override mine for a while. Well, on a recent long trip mine started failing. First it would only work in a very specific position, then not at all, then intermittent.

Anyway, I want to override my clutch switch. Normally I would just jump the wires and be done with it. However, back in my SV650 racing days I learned that this actually messed with fueling and/or timing (don't really remember, but it messed with how it ran). Knowing that my idles moves a few RPM with the clutch in and out I assume it's the same on the DL1000.

Anyone know the "right" way to defeat the clutch switch?

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
What year is your bike ?

With the 650 it was OK to bypass bikes before 2007 I'm not sure about the 1000.

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
I looked through some old posts and GW said you can bypass the clutch switch on a Vee unlike the the 2007 and later 650.

So just bridge the 2 wires and ensure the bike is in neutral before you hit the go button.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That'd be easy, thanks! I was hesitant because when the switch is working properly, you can see and feel the RPMs move ever so slightly when the switch actuates. I guess it's worth a shot and if it has issues running I'll go back to the drawing board.

·
Registered
705 Posts
There should be a thin black wire with yellow tracer at your ECM. Double check that it connects to ground when you pull the clutch lever. If so, you could snip that and the same B/Y near the starter relay. You will need to ground the relay side of the wire, but you can get rid of the switch and extra wires to the clutch lever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts