StromTrooper banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Season? What is this "season" of which you speak? ;)

I bought a Scottoiler and a dual injector for it. I fill it with Scottoiler's blue oil every, oh, three or four tanks of gas depending on weather (turn it higher in the rain, lower in the dry.) After around 10k miles, I popped off the front cover and cleaned it out. The amount of crud was about equal to the pile I scraped out from the previous owner who only used Maxima spray chain wax. The difference was, the oiler's crud was a lot softer (dry cookie dough v. hard caulk.)

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Sounds like the oiler is turned up too high, should be little to no mess at all.

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
Sounds like the oiler is turned up too high, should be little to no mess at all.
Filling it up every 3 or 4 tanks of gas is a pretty good indication of that, holy cow. I get through 7 or 8 months with one fill. You only need to lube the chain every few hundred miles, not constantly. Maybe try turning it off after an hour or something?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Scottoiler states the stock reservoir is good for up to 1,500 miles between fills, and I get about 250 miles to a tank. Riding in the rain means turning up the oiler and today was the first day in a month it hadn't rained. So yeah, it needs a fill about every 3-4 tanks of gas. How someone can go 7-8 months between fills I do not know.

Reactions: Toshbar

·
Registered
3,943 Posts
I used a light spring with some heat shrink over it to cover the push rod.

Ensure anything you use does not apply to much pressure to the seal at the motor because there is nothing stopping it being pushed into the motor.

I can see a oiler helping to keep things clean because any fresh oil will work as a solvent on the old oil.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I used a light spring with some heat shrink over it to cover the push rod.

Ensure anything you use does not apply to much pressure to the seal at the motor because there is nothing stopping it being pushed into the motor.
That's brilliant!

..Tom

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
I regret it. I need parts for mine and he won't respond to my e-mails. I've purchased lots of items from him and been happy but not the oiler.
Have you tried "calling" him? I don't respond quickly to emails either, but a call or text is always going to be responded to ASAP.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I regret it. I need parts for mine and he won't respond to my e-mails. I've purchased lots of items from him and been happy but not the oiler.
When I wrecked my Slave Cylinder last year and I was trying to install the replacement I also had managed to pop the clutch past the normal extent it should go. Rick was incredibly helpful, even calling me long distance (I'm in Canada) to try and help me out.

I suspect if he hasn't replied to emails he may be having email issues or something.

I would agree with Brian.. give him a ring.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
4,232 Posts
I haven't seen Rick on these forums for a while, he must be up to something. Busy in his lab coat inventing perhaps.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
My Slave cylinder went yesterday. I went in for a coffee and when I came out and started it the clutch lever did nothing. I was abut 60 km/40 miles to home so I rode without the clutch. Discovered the starter has enough power to start the bike while in gear without the clutch being released (but the lever pulled in.) I had to do it twice... once for the first start, the second for an unavoidable stop.

I had a replacement waiting at home so it was relatively simple to switch it out apart from the locating "dowel" being stuck in the old slave cylinder. Boiling hot water on the old unit got it unstuck. So the last one lasted 81,018 km or about 50,500 miles. Clues that it would fail was starting to need some topping up of the fluid over the last few weeks so I can be more proactive next time.

To be safe I ordered another Slave cylinder.

..Tom

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
For the price of a coffee, you could just replace the piston seal if the cylinder isn't scored.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
For the price of a coffee, you could just replace the piston seal if the cylinder isn't scored.
I'll take a look at the old one and see.

How much is the coffee?

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,442 Posts
Vtom, you sure have had more than your share of headaches from clutch slave cylinders!

·
Premium Member
2,604 Posts
Vtom, you sure have had more than your share of headaches from clutch slave cylinders!
He's not alone. I think I'm on my fourth. And each of those was rebuilt, except for the first one which was replaced under warranty. It's the winter riding that does them in.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
He's not alone. I think I'm on my fourth. And each of those was rebuilt, except for the first one which was replaced under warranty. It's the winter riding that does them in.
What mileage is on your bike?

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
"hydraulic clutchitis'

What's normal? I'm over 95,500 miles now.

..Tom

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
In the motorcycles Ive owned with hydraulic clutches, I have never experienced a failure. Then again, I make a point of flushing my brake and clutch fluids every year regardless of miles.
The only clutch failure Ive had occurred 100 miles from home in my '81 Honda CB750K about 15 years ago. Only 18K miles on it back then. The cable went down to 5 strands, and the cut ends would stick in the conduit and cause some slippage. Replaced the cable, was fine, til a month later the clutch slipped on accel with plenty of cable slack. New plates..and has been fine ever since.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts