StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so my used 'Wee is at 15000 km and I'm out of the easy adjustment free play. The clutch slips if I accelerate quickly. My question is should I order a clutch kit and change it out when I go in there, or is 15000 low enough that I just need to do the adjustment?

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
It's very rare to have a slipping clutch that early in a Strom's life. (My clutches never slipped on any of my Stroms.)

Almost guaranteed to be an adjustment and my initial suspicion is that the cable is adjusted too tight. Have you checked for play in the cable? Is the cable caught in it's routing so that it pulls itself too tight?

The adjustment for the clutch is within the right side housing. I don't know how to do it as I never needed it in 139,500 km on my 2012 DL650. I am sure others will chip in shortly.

..Tom

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,212 Posts
There is an exact method for adjusting the clutches. The 2004-2011 are different from the 2012+. Look up those procedures and follow them.

No, you should not need a new clutch at 15,000 kms. But if not adjusted correctly and ridden a while that might not be the case.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been using the manufacturer recommended synthetic oil, don't have the bottle near me. But what the guy I bought it from used, who knows.

And thanks for the info, I'll try and do the adjustment first before getting the kit.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
@ Lars, walk through the steps that you followed to readjust your bike clutch. Could be that you may have missed a step.

·
Administrator
5,017 Posts
Hi Lars, at your mileage the bike should not need a new clutch OR a clutch adjustment.
Can you be sure that motorcycle specific engine oil has been used? Some automobile oils can have additives that are not compatable with wet clutches.

If there is any doubt I would purchase some motorcycle specific 10W40 synthetic or semi-synthetic oil, a new oil filter, and change the oil and filter.

My other thought is that the bike was sold as there was a problem, perhaps one caused by the previous owner. I'm assuming that the bike is new to you and bought privately as otherwise, the dealer should sort it out for you.

I have attached the information you need to adjust the cable and clutch correctly - but you must first be very sure that the oil is the correct oil. Some clear images of the throttle and activator end of the cable might help to diagnose your problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently, there's is definitely motorcycle synthetic oil in it, I did an oil change right after I bought it. Before that, who knows? Probably, he worked in a bike shop.

As for the method I used to adjust the Freeplay, I only attempted to adjust on the handlebars, I didn't adjust anything under the clutch cover. That will be my next job.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Besides on the handlebars, is there a place to adjust the free play that doesn't draining fluids? Just to make sure Im not missing something obvious.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
If there is no free play in the clutch cable, you can adjust it at the top AND at the bottom. If there is no adjustment remaining at the top then the bottom adjuster is too far out. Bring it back some so you get some adjustment range at the top, set it to the specified couple of mm at the lever and see if that fixes the problem.

see here for details: https://www.stromtrooper.com/713846-post6.html
https://www.v-strom.co.uk/smf/index.php?topic=21656.0

Clutch adjustment is outside the engine case, so no oil comes out! Whiles you have the cover off clean out the area since it's most likely gummed up with chain lube and grit.

·
Registered
432 Posts
You need free play at the lever. In other words, the nob on the end moves a half inch before the slack in the cable is taken up and the cable starts moving. If there is no free play your clutch lever is always slightly pulled and clutch will slip. There are two adjustments up top. One on the lever and one a short distance down the cable.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes they look maxed. Down below on the lever the cable pulls on there is an index mark next to the shaft it rotates. On mine the shaft has a line on it that points to the dot on the lever. Are those aligned? If so would moving the lever on the shaft one spline give you the adjustment you need. If the bike has been driven a lot with no free play the clutch will slip under load. This causes excessive wear on the plates. I wonder if the former owner has basically worn out the clutch and there is no cable adjustment left.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Look at your lower lever arm in the pic you have above. On mine the arm aligns with the boss on the engine. The raised casting with a threaded hole in it. Yours is clearly aimed to the right of it.

·
Administrator
13,199 Posts
Clutch adjustment is outside the engine case, so no oil comes out! Whiles you have the cover off clean out the area since it's most likely gummed up with chain lube and grit.
This is the 2012+ DL650 forum. The clutch. Adjustment is not in the front sprocket area like earlier DL650's.

.Tom

1 - 20 of 35 Posts