StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided to get the bike ready for winter... since it is a nice day I figured I'd give it a wash (rare occasion!), put some stabilizer in the tank, go for a quick ride to circulate the stabilizer and warm up the oil for a good drain.

So, after a quick wash, as I head out I notice that my rpm is going up but the bike doesn't seem to move all that quickly. I pulled over to remove my ear plugs (NO idea why!), get back on the bike and there it goes again, if I twist the throttle a bit too hard the revs go up but the bike is not going.... son of a b^*ch, my clutch is slipping!

I haven't been out on the bike in a couple of weeks and the last time I was out everything was fine. All I did today was to wash the bike.
So I changed the oil to see if that would make a difference, but it didn't... still slipping.

In 35 years of ridin I have never had a clutch go on me - or even slip, so I'm in foreign territory. The bike only has 16,500Km (about 10K miles) on it, there's no way the clutch could be toast already?

Any thoughts/ideas would be appreciated. Anything I can do?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
About the only thing I can think of is your clutch slave cylinder sticking. The clutches in these bikes is very tough and almost never known to slipping. That said, the 2014+ has a bit different inner hub, which actually applies more pressure to the clutch under higher load. Could be that it is having an issue. But, I don't think it would act up as badly as your description. There is almost NO chance you have hurt the clutch plates yet. I have yet to see that done on a DL 1000. Something ( like the slave cylinder not fully releasing ) is causing the clutch plates to not have normal pressure applied.

Any chance you installed a new clutch lever?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any chance you installed a new clutch lever?
Stock levers.
No, absolutely nothing has changed since the last time I rode... which was only a couple of weeks ago - and everything was fine then. The bike wasn't moved, or even touched. All I did today was to wash the bike.

Would removing the slave and cleaning it be worth a try?
Would chain slack have anything to do with it? (sorry, that was probably a stupid question)

I have zero knowledge when it comes to clutches... so I am at a loss right now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
First look would be the slave cylinder pushrod. It is known to get gunk on it from the chain, and it may be stuck "in", and applying constant pressure on the clutch. Remove the slave cylinder bolts and pull the pushrod out to clean it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
What sort of oil do you use?
We used to have issues with a certain brand of oil causing v twins to slip.
I don't bring it up anymore because it causes a shit storm with people who love that oil.
Could be a few things though, if you're not confident it may involve a trip to the bike doctor!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What sort of oil do you use?
We used to have issues with a certain brand of oil causing v twins to slip.
No, it isn't the oil. It wasn't slipping two weeks ago and before that with the same oil in. But that was my first thought too... maybe some water got in the oil while washing the bike (highly unlikely, but I was trying to consider any possibility), so I changed the oil - it is motorcycle-specific MA-certified (not just MA-compliant as many oils claim to be). But that didn't make any difference.

I'm going to pull the slave off, as soon as I have some time, and see if there might be any problems there...

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
Check the pushrod that goes into the engine as recommended earlier while you are in there. At your mileage I wouldn't think there is that much build up, but you need to be sure.

Reactions: Brockie

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Realshelby you were spot on!
There was a chunk of dirt sticking to the pushrod that kept it from moving freely and fully disengaging the clutch. It was getting stuck on the plastic sprocket-cover that also goes around the pushrod. I guess washing the bike and wetting the 'greasy chunk of dirt' made it more prone to sticking.

Thanks for your help...

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
There are a few posts on here from people that have made covers for the pushrod.

I made a pushrod cover and also removed the plastic sprocket cover to help keep things clean.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
I check that area every oil change, but on the 650 it is "much easier" and quicker than on the 1000. Do away with sticky gooey chain lube, highly recommend "original bike spirits" or the "Dupont chain saver".

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
I went off the Dupont Chain Saver when the chain and sprockets on my 2004 died after 18,000km. The Dupont would melt off the chain when applied while hot and was not effective over long highway miles. I use a chain oiler now and at 24,000km my chain/sprockets are in good shape. I do agree about staying away from waxy or gooey chain lube though, once it sticks in the front sprocket area it will catch all kinds of stuff in there.

·
Administrator
17,508 Posts
Yup.....no doubt a chain oiler is the overall best solution.

·
Registered
11,528 Posts
Just curious - how often were you spraying the Chainsaver? I know several folks that have gone 30,000 miles with it but spray it every tank. An oiler is best if you can stand the mess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts