StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, 07, V, 17k on the clock. on the centerstand, in first gear, clutch lever pulled in all the way, rear tire turns with a small degree of force. out of gear, once warmed up, the rear wheel stays put. Normal? Problem?

tia

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Normal. Cold oil transfers force between the clutch plates. Warm it up and the effect lessens markedly.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
GW, lucky for people like me you don't charge for your sagacity. Thanks! But the in gear, clutch lever pulled stuff, happens when it's warmed up as well. is this normal?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
GW, lucky for people like me you don't charge for your sagacity. Thanks! But the in gear, clutch lever pulled stuff, happens when it's warmed up as well. is this normal?
Sure. The engine is spinning so the oil speed is higher. Even though there is less drag when warm, the speeds of adjacent plates influence each other. The clutch phenomenon that you haven't mentioned yet but others have is the initial shift into gear after starting a cold engine. The plates are effectively glued together and have to be broken apart.

I had a Honda CB500 with a Barnett racing clutch that had to be started on the center stand and put into gear with the rear wheel spinning. Then pull in the clutch lever, rev the engine a bit and hit the rear brake. That would do the initial plate separation without too much punishment on the gear dogs. Otherwise, trying the initial shift into gear would wake up the neighborhood.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I had a Honda CB500 with a Barnett racing clutch that had to be started on the center stand and put into gear with the rear wheel spinning. Then pull in the clutch lever, rev the engine a bit and hit the rear brake. That would do the initial plate separation without too much punishment on the gear dogs. Otherwise, trying the initial shift into gear would wake up the neighborhood.
If I let my old CB750 sit for more than 2 weeks, it takes an act of congress to get those plates apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts