StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed today after I got out of the woods my clutch was slipping a little bit. 1st gear no issue at all... when I wen to 2nd and let the lever out I noticed the slip for about a second maybe 100 rpm before the clutch grabbed. 12 500 miles 2012 650 just changed the oil with suzuki synthetic. Any ideas? I wouldn't think the clutch would be smoked already.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Does it try to slip in the higher ( 3-6 ) gears? At any rate, check for a lot of crud buildup around the front sprocket/clutch mechanism.

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
have you been fiddling with cable adjustment without checking clutch pushrod adjustment under the front sprocket cover?

also have you lubed the barrels at the cable ends ? unlubed levers may be a bit sticky
The clutch adjustment on the 2012+ DL650 is not in the same place as the earlier models. It's on the other side..

..Tom

·
Administrator
13,741 Posts
How often do they need adjusted?
My 2012 DL650 has never had the adjustment of the clutch itself. I did adjust the cable as the cable stretched and when I replaced it (because I didn't lube the end at the lever.) That was at aroud 100,000 km/62,000 miles.

..Tom

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
My 2012 DL650 has never had the adjustment of the clutch itself. I did adjust the cable as the cable stretched and when I replaced it (because I didn't lube the end at the lever.) That was at aroud 100,000 km/62,000 miles.

..Tom
Mine needed adjusting at around 60,000k's. And it did NEED adjusting.

Details.

The clutch mechanism is working optimally when the clutch engagement point is near where the lever pushing on the end of the shaft is at right angles. (Checkable with a torch and the cover off). Mine was at about 30 degrees not at right angle, which means you need more lever movement for the same clutch movement.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts