StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me please. I searched this and could not answer my question. The manual says tie the clutch lever down. Then several reply they had issues and some say do NOT tie lever down. Others describe untying lever right before reassemble of slave onto bike.

My plan was to leave clutch lever untied and out. Then ziptie the slave cylinder piston to keep it from extending while cleaning and replacing sprocket. Remove zip right before reassembly.

My search turned up too much info and it contracted itself some.

Thanks for helping in advance.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump for help for weekend fun

·
Registered
126 Posts
no zippy

on my 1000 I have pulled the slave off for work and done none of the above. Pull it off, let it extend, push it back in for reinstall. Done. No problem.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
When we did a chain on one this summer we just zip tied the handle back pulled everything apart. We were careful to make sure the slave cylinder was not left hanging upside down by strapping it up with a zip tie. everything was taken apart cleaned and put back together with no issues.

I do know of another forum member that did not zip tie the handle back and when he moved the slave cylinder to put it back together the piston fell out making him a nice mess.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thank you sirs. For the life of me I see no reason to bind the lever and be working against the clutch springs when reinstalling. The forecast tomorrow is 62f and sunny. I have rethought my chain/sprocket replacement for this weekend and instead will put another few hundred smiles on the 25,000 mile chain. Especially now that I have seen how big a 17 tooth counter sprocket is...dam.:thumbup:

BTW...to keep my money among friends I just purchased and received my chain/sprocket kit from Blair at SVRacing. Good looking quality parts. Quick follow up on a silly question I had, and at my door in 3 days.:hurray:

P.S. I will be zip tying my slave piston so it can not get an erection while I am working on it (as in my opening post). But thanks for the heads up. I have a spare slave from the first fix my brother did anD already see how the inner spring and hydraulic pressure from the master being above the slave in elevation would make it fall out.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
you would be surprised I thought is was going to be a major pain in the a$$ to put it back together with the slave cylinder extended. It really was no trouble at all. I just worked around the bolts that held it on making sure that I was pulling it in evenly.

25,000 heck ya put a few more on it. I am going to replace mine next month with just over 30,000 on the clock.

·
Registered
780 Posts
When I remove my slave cylinder I zip tie the clutch lever. Some people have run into problems when they re install the slave cylinder. Put both bolts in and thread the bolts a few threads. Don't screw in the bolts all the way. Cut the zip tie then then thread bolts all the way. If you screw the bolts in all the way with the clutch lever zip tied, it "sometimes" causes the clutch rod to push the plates out too far and your clutch no worky. The solution to that is to look through the oil filler cap and use a screw driver to push the plates back into "position". If this solution doesn't work you have to take the cover off the clutch/water pump area and put the plates back into position. I have removed my slave cylinder probably 9 times with no problems. I try to keep the sprocket area clean. I was cleaning the sprocket area at every oil change. Some people never zip tie their clutch lever. The very worst case scenario not zip tying the slave cylinder might be bleeding the clutch system.
I think the slave cylinder removal caused me the greatest anxiety due to the "stories".Relax.
The whole point of zip tying is "causes suction" to keep the piston in position.

Good luck,
Les

·
Registered
18 Posts
Clutch "No Worky" after cylinder removal

Hey Guys,

I have a similar problem with the clutch not working after sprocket/chain replacement. Kept clutch lever ziptied throughout whole process, and even checked function of the slave cylinder just before reinstalling it.

No clutch action at all!:headbang::furious:--when tranny is in gear and I pull the clutch lever back (and I know from visual inspection that slave cylinder pulls back & is working). I can't get the read wheel to move. (Bike is on a rear pit stand)....... I have seen a comment or two that would suggest a fix is to peer into the oil filler hole "and nudge/push clutch plates back into position". What???:confused:

Any help is appreciated, and especially after my broken bolt Tale O' Woe, I'm d*mn near gutted by this sh*t...

Arbie

·
Registered
2006 DL1000
927 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but given the thread title, I figured the idea I had tonight would fit best here. I thought of a different method to hold the slave cylinder piston from working its way out when you take it off the bike, at least for 1st-generation Vees:

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

And it saves you from using a zip tie and then cutting it off and throwing it away. YMMV.
(y)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts