StromTrooper banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing the clutch side OEM handguard, cannot physically install all hardware that I think the instructions are calling for - what am I missing? Per the instructions (as far as I can tell), it calls for installing the new Bolt "E". All good so far. Then it says to install the following on the bottom side in this order: Washer - Spacer - Nut (one that was removed) - washer - knuckle cover - washer - nut. The bolt does not have enough threads available for the hardware called for in the directions? Any help would be appreciated. I have searched this forum for similar problem, found many others - but not this one specifically.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
in this order: Washer - Spacer - Nut (one that was removed) - washer - knuckle cover - washer - nut. The bolt does not have enough threads available for the hardware called for in the directions?
You do have the order correct as well, or at least according to how mine is assembled.

I have installed them on my bike, and while there aren't many threads, there was enough to put it together. I just went and checked and i have about 1-1.5 threads coming out of the nut, so it's not much but enough to engage the nylock. It was tricky to get it (from my memory) but it should work out per the instructions.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You do have the order correct as well, or at least according to how mine is assembled.

I have installed them on my bike, and while there aren't many threads, there was enough to put it together. I just went and checked and i have about 1-1.5 threads coming out of the nut, so it's not much but enough to engage the nylock. It was tricky to get it (from my memory) but it should work out per the instructions.
Thanks - I will give this another try! Just seems like very poor design to have only a thread or so left.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
That's different from what the setup on my 2007 was. The shouldered bolt was installed with a washer and nylock nut at the bottom. The guard was put in place with a hole on top over the bolt and a slot at the bottom around the nut. Then, to hold the guard in place, a washer and an acorn nut went on top and a washer with another nylock nut went on the bottom.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That's different from what the setup on my 2007 was. The shouldered bolt was installed with a washer and nylock nut at the bottom. The guard was put in place with a hole on top over the bolt and a slot at the bottom around the nut. Then, to hold the guard in place, a washer and an acorn nut went on top and a washer with another nylock nut went on the bottom.

That's weird...mine is an 07 but it didn't come with the guards. I bought the factory kit that was to put the DL1000's guards onto my wee. The instructions are in about 10 languages and not easy to decipher but they did go together. I tried to take a picture but could get the right angle and enough light.

One of the best improvements so far though! Good luck.

·
38,104 Posts
As often as Suzuki says the 650 and 1000 guards are the same, they are not. The clutch side guards are different due to the hydraulic v. cable clutches. DL1000 guards are standard parts and are available from the parts list while DL650 has an as an add on complete kit.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I was just fiddling with mine the other day. Had to remove it to get at the clutch adjuster. Found an extra washer on the floor later. I think that I lost the spacer on the floor. Anyway, put it back together with two larger washers, sandwiching the plastic 'fork' between them. Seems to work OK.

·
Registered
23 Posts
cut down the spacer

navyrunner you are not going crazy, I had the same problem. I posted the same question in another thread. The spacer is too big to use with the hardware stack privided with the kit. In the end I cut the spacer down with a dremmel tool, tidied it up and painted it. Mine is assembled solidly now, all good.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
navyrunner you are not going crazy, I had the same problem. I posted the same question in another thread. The spacer is too big to use with the hardware stack privided with the kit. In the end I cut the spacer down with a dremmel tool, tidied it up and painted it. Mine is assembled solidly now, all good.
One of the problems is the these spacers have to follow a standard when produced. With all standards and manufactured parts comes tolerances. Well this spacer, washer, nut thickness, could all be stacked up against you. Which is why you are having problems.

Like I said, mine worked fine but was close. It wouldn't take much to make mine too long.

If you have grind something down to fit after you have tried it the original way, then by all means make it easier on yourself.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I left the washer off, guess I'll have to wait and see. Everything seems solid, even with pulling on it. I thought the instructions were lacking or I just need better glasses.

·
38,104 Posts
The pivot area and clutch switch changed in 2009. 57300-27825-291 is listed as the replacement for all earlier handguard part numbers..

·
Registered
111 Posts
left knuckle pivot

I wound up taking a grinder to the pin to narrow it a little, then beat it on with a hammer after it wouldn't thread anymore. The order from top down
Top nut , washer, fixed nut (on pivot bolt) then knuckle top then clutch lever then spacer then washer then knuckle then washer then bottom nut.
I hope its right. Seems like the clutch handle works ok....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Japanese

This is one area where the Japanese should talk to QM about the instructions and design.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts