StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the brake fluid out and went to change the clutch fluid and I can't get the cover off. That cover is on there pretty darn well and I don't want to strip the screws...any suggestions?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Gently tap downward on the screwdriver with a small hammer as you put some counterclockwise rotation on the screwdriver. Don't overdue it!

You can also try some heat transfer by setting the screwdriver into the screw and heating the screwdriver with a soldering iron near the screw head. Warming may be enough to loosen or warming and cooling might do it.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
You need a JIS screwdriver.

These bikes don't use Phillips Heads.

Once you use a JIS you will never pick up a Phillips head again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like we will be going to the shop since I tried both with no luck...hate it when stupid simple things like this don't work right.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Manual impact driver with the correct bit. I bought one at Harbor Freight years ago, they probably still have them. Chinese made, so it has a good selection of asian style bits. Very handy tool.

Mine were stuck too when I got the bike, I had to use the little manual impact tool. Using some thread locker or antiseize will stop that in the future. Steel screws in aluminum...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
925 Posts
You need a JIS screwdriver.

These bikes don't use Phillips Heads.

Once you use a JIS you will never pick up a Phillips head again.
I use the screwdrivers in the OE tool kit. They are not high quality but they are JIS, and for light work like this they will hold up fine.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I also use them if I really have to.

I drilled a hole in the handle of mine so they can be used as T bar type driver I just don't trust them like I trust my Vessel Drivers

When you put them in you can feel it is going to do the job and that help with the confidence.

I use the JIS driver on all "Phillips head style screws" they just don't cam out like a Phillips does.

The drivers that come with impact drives are a great fit too.

·
Registered
545 Posts
For reference, Motion Pro sells JIS bits in #1, #2 and #3 sizes. I ordered a set, or two, of each through my local Cycle Gear (to shave shipping/postage) and use them in my favorite handle. 2 packs show $3.50 MSRP. They also have a T-Handle driver with one of each size but I recall thinking it wasn't worth, to me, their asking price of $20.99.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0577

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
Put a little dab of valve grinding paste or scouring powder on the tip of a screwdriver for extra bite. It works amazingly well. As a pro, I can feel when a screw needs a little help and a little dab will do ya.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just drop the bike. It is guaranteed to come off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts