StromTrooper banner

clutch release valve

2K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  jet7271 
#1 ·
i put new front and rear sprockets and chain on my 03 1K this weekend, but have a leak where the clutch release unit allen bolts to the sprocket cover. it is a sealed unit and i did not break it apart but i'm having trouble getting it tight and afraid i'll strip the aluminum casing. should i have ordered a new gasket? i've dumped a qt or more synthetic oil i had just put in on the floor the two times i started the bike. whaddya think? thanks, jet

G
#2 ·
jet7271 said:
i put new front and rear sprockets.. but have a leak where the clutch release unit allen bolts to the sprocket cover.
You more than likely damaged the slave cylinder pushrod oil seal - very easily done. If the leak is that bad, you should replace the seal. This will require the chain cover, slave cylinder, and front sprocket to be removed and alternator cover to be loosened. There is a small plate that retains the seal. Remove the plate remove/replace the seal. Replace alternator and chain covers. CAREFULLY reinstall the slave cylinder, slowly and gently easing the pushrod through the oil seal. That should do it..

#3 ·
thanks davidhenry, didnt know about the seal behind the plate since i didnt take it off. makes sense tho. if i call the cycle shop will they know which seal i need if i tell them pushrod seal on clutch release valve? i appreciate your expertise. merry christmas to one and all... jet

#4 ·
You can go to www.ronayers.com and look through the microfiche to identify the part and part number required and save at least 30% over the local dealer and probably get it as fast.

#5 ·
thanks bradm, went to the ronayers site, good info there. will know what to order next time, and maybe more importantly, how to put things back together properly! should have my seal this weekend and hope to get my bike back together. i'm enuf of a newbie that i miss riding even tho its cold here. merry christmas. jet

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.