StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every instructional I've seen says, when installing a new one, to lightly tap it until the seal "SEATS". Well.....uh, there's no seat; so when I did this, the entire seal fell into the case. :headbang: I then had to destroy it to get it back out of there. No seat? It is just supposed to float there in place?

Is there really no seat for the push-rod seal? You just have to eye-ball it?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
DL1000-Installing a new the push-rod seal:
1. Clean the seal mounting hole squeaky clean with alcohol.
2. Clean the sealing surface & the push-rod hole of the new seal with alcohol. A good grade of Q-tips work well for the hole.
3. Put a light coat of silicone grease on the mounting surface of the new seal.
4. Insert the new seal. Use a socket slightly smaller than the seal diameter and using a brass hammer, lightly tap the seal into the hole so it is seated well.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Yep. Tap it in until the surface is even with the case. I know it's crazy.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks Grey...yea, unreal. now I have to find a new seal. So far, NOBODY has them. Any thoughts?

update- Found one for $20 with shipping. Great.....can't believe nobody has done what I did. Talk about aggravating.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Funny thing is, I have been thinking about this "How To" as my next editing project for my site. I have all of the text and photos queued up for it. Maybe I can get to it later this week.

B.L.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I would think somebody taking it out would notice it's not seated.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I would think somebody taking it out would notice it's not seated.
I guess that's true. I didn't look all that closely, or give it that much thought, since it said "seat".... I didn't really look that closely on the depth in there (light wasn't the best). Still, why say "until it seats" if there is no seat? No worries...water under the bridge now.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
I guess that's true. I didn't look all that closely, or give it that much thought, since it said "seat".... I didn't really look that closely on the depth in there (light wasn't the best). Still, why say "until it seats" if there is no seat? No worries...water under the bridge now.
Don't worry. I did exactly the same thing that you did. The thing is, I can't remember if I was able to pull the seal back out, or if I had to buy another one too. When I go through my photographs, they will tell me the story.

Greywolf, it is not as easy a situation as people think. Nearly every seal that we deal with IS seated against something. A person CAN'T tell that this seal ISN'T seated against something. It is assumed that it is, as we are removing it, (without looking........). The trouble arises when we go back to install a new seal.

As I am writing this, my memory is flickering back to life a little bit. It wasn't the clutch pushrod seal that I "buried", but the countersprocket seal. I replaced both at the same time.

More will follow as I get resurrect this old "How To" of mine.

B.L.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts