Strom Trooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
In a recent thread I chronicled my tale of woe involving my Craigslist purchased V-strom 09' ABS with only 1200 miles, whose clutch started slipping. Push rod adjustments seemed to work for a while, but after 100 miles or so it would begin to slip again. Greywolf, Black Lab, and others were helpful and it was finally decided it was a bad clutch. So, I ordered all new plates (drive and driven), springs, etc.. and did the clutch job myself. Here's what I found when I measured the various parts:

As you can see, all of the clutch plates were indeed outside of the standard thickness, and three of 6 the springs were as well. (Incidentally, when I first measured the springs they were all in the 49mm range. The measurements on the chart are after they sat on the bench for a week or so.)

Claw widths were all basically identical to the new plates, the driven plates were all 1.60mm exactly, and I did not have the ability to measure driven plate deflection. Everything internally that I could see looked good (ie, the clutch basket, etc..). I also replaced the thrust bearing and washer, just for yucks.

So, for you clutch experts, do the numbers above adequately explain my symptoms? For what it's worth, there is no slipping yet, but I won't believe I'm in the clear until 300-400 miles pass. (I'm paranoid, what can I say.) The friction point still seems to get further out slightly as the bike warms up, but maybe that is just normal.

A drive plate and the unique drive plate:

One of the driven plates:

·
Premium Member
3,093 Posts
Seems like the bike was driven by a newbie, who had not yet mastered releasing the clutch......slip it til you can't remember doin' it!

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
my 09 has 70K miles on it. The clutch works like new. Your new parts should last a long time.

Hard to say what happened to the original...abuse most likely

1 - 3 of 3 Posts