StromTrooper banner

Clutch on my 2019 DL1000 compared to my 2019 DL660xt.

2K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  The Revelator 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I have a question pertaining to the clutch on my bikes.
I purchased the 650 new and only has 250miles thus far . I purchased the 1000 last month and it has 1550 miles on it. Ok enough with the back story. The 650 when I put it in gear goes smoothly and with no jolting. The 1000 makes a big clunk and the whole bike lerks forward a bit. Any thoughts . I purchased the 1000 used and do not know how it was cared for or abused . ???
Any of your input would be helpful.

#3 ·
Your 650 would have a cable clutch, they have more adjustments than the hydraulic clutch on the 1000.

Is it only when cold or hot too ?

First check is to ensure the master cylinder is full of fluid and your chain is correctly adjusted.

Your clutch leaver has some adjustments but many of us do make changes to the push rod at the master cylinder to get the take up point where it's comfortable, the previous owner may have
done something similar.

With the bike on the center stand and the oil warm start the motor, select first gear, holding the clutch in put your foot against the rear tire, it should stop spinning, if it will not you need to investigate some more.

Could be the motor oil, adjustments or a hydraulic problem.

These clutches are quite tough and will take some abuse

Reactions: Weekend warrior
#4 ·
I have a 2017 650XT and a 2020 1050XT. Both clutches are different. The 650 mechanical clutch starts to engage at the time of release and up until the time of full release. The 1050 hydraulic clutch doesn't engage until much later in the release. If you release the clutch at the same rate on both, the 650 will feel smooth and the 1050 will suddenly catch and thus chudder a little. You need to get used to both clutch releases individually to smooth them out.

#6 ·
I just did a 3500k trip with my bride, towards the end of the trip I found my clutch was not working as it should, if I hit the starter button while in gear it wanted to creep forward and it engaged much earlier.

I do not run the front sprocket cover so I can clearly see in that area, I could see no evidence of a fluid leak but the MC was low.

I topped up the MC with fresh fluid and have not had a problem or lost any fluid in the 800k's since.

(Sorry the post is in two parts, darn computer problems)

#7 ·
Basically I think what you see is normal. Mine, when cold make quite a noise and wants to move forward. When warmed up it is less sever but it still clunks going into first.

When you start up riding one solution is to start the engine in 1st gear. That avoids the nasty clunk.

#8 ·
Bleed the clutch and clean the front sprocket area and slave cylinder. Crap on the clutch pushrod also causes this problem.

I don't have this issue on my 2014 1000, it's much nicer than my 650, but when I did the above I put a loose fitting rubber sleeve over the pushrod and packed that and the back of the slave cylinder with silicone grease. The clutch has stayed nice for several years now. I'll check it again when I do chain and sprockets.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.