Strom Trooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wow, just installed my modified 04 clutch basket and I seem to have reaped some unexpected benefits from my shimmed clutch mod! I got a 5MPG bump (45MPG on my first measured fill up)!!!

Anyone else see this with modified/improved basket?

I was pleasantly surprised but it's really just icing on the cake. Actually, I would have been willing to sacrifice 5MPG, the real joy is how good it is to have a clutch that works like a dream and eliminates all of the standard gripes chudder/grabby clutch (AKA-clutch slap?)/idle hammer as well as vibrations and noises all over the rev range that you never realized we're emanating from that sloppy little basket down there. What an amazing difference!

I did use a slightly different approach than just a straight shim between the spring and the drive gear. Instead I used half shims to remove all slack between the top plate, drive gear, bottom plate and basket and then welded them in. This is a relatively easy process, dirt cheap and the result is simply magical.

Honestly, I have admired the beautifully reworked baskets from Realshelby (Werks modified clutch baskets) for quite a while and would love to have one eventually but my budget just hasn't allowed it. So, as my second basket (an SV1000 version with the heavier springs that I installed at around 40K miles (76K on the clock now)) slowly spiraled into full blown chudder again, I decided I had to do something. The shim fix seemed to be the best answer but as I started working on it I noticed it didn't eliminate all the slop between gear and basket and removed some of the functional working range of motion of the springs so I reconsidered the problem and came up with a slightly different strategy- half shim! Preload between top plate and springs creates a direct sprung connection between all components top plate/drive gear/bottom plate/basket.

Not sure what to call it, half-shimmed, half-baked, half-assed if you like but it seems to really do the trick. It turned a worn out, chuddering old 04 basket into a downright great clutch that I can live with for quite a while and has kept me grinning like a madman since I put it in.

Cheers,
Baba

·
Banned
29 Posts
Shimming baskets and welding was how reashelby (who is now Werks Parts) got started. Said it worked real well and so did his customers so stay with it. He now does a re engineered (about 300 USD) like SVman showed us all here some years before.
SVman sold lots of Idle Hammer Dampers too. Direct to owners rather than through the forums.. I'm trying to buy one but he sells outas soon as he makes a batch. Anyone know what hes charging? From what Im told by those who saw them they are very different from the pictures of his prototypes.
Where is his IH thread. I only have a small smart phone just now. Searching is impossible. Sure I even posted in it once but can't find it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well Nifty50,
I have never seen the idle hammer thread but my modification has Eliminated "idle hammer" completely for me. Since I've only put about 2K miles on the one basket I've modified so far I can't realy guarantee you will reap the same rewards that I have but overall this is the single best improvement I have made to my Vee!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I meant "idle hammer damper thread"...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FYI- I now have >2,500 miles on this mod and still working great but I am overdue for new chain and sprockets which I will be replacing before anymore long rides so this may skew my mpg as it usually seems to improve things. My results up to now seem to be up about 2-3mpg on average but I've been running it pretty hard to see how the mod holds up. I also continue to be Idle hammer free but this seems to go against expert opinion on the subject so I won't claim this as a real side effect unless it holds for a few oil changes and I can reproduce it. Either by modding my other failing basket and testing it or in another Vee. I plan on disassembling this mod and checking the that all is still good at 10K miles as well as watching the oil filters and plug for any changes. At that point, if all looks good I will have to decide if I want to test the mod longer and see what happens or mod my other basket and see if it gives me the same results or perhaps re-install the unmodified basket I replaced and see if the idle hammer returns before I do either... Votes anyone?

No mater what course of action, If all looks good at 10k miles I will post pictures if anyone's interested...

If it looks questionable at all my other basket will go directly to Realshelby for the full Werks upgrade!

Happy trails!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts