StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking for some insight regarding the amount of space between the clutch lever and bar. I feel that I have to extend my hand quite far to reach it. I've attached a pic. It's about 2 1/2" at the narrow side and 4 1/4" at the widest side. Does it look to be normal? Is there a way to reduce the space without altering the clutch cable slack (currently set correctly).

Thanks for any feedback!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
That really does look far - many bikes have a dial to adjust and you can buy levers with adjustable

Not one hiding under that rubber cover is there ?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Is that an aftermarket lever? Don't think my '13 650 had that black cover thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's actually an OEM clutch lever. Bought the bike new last year - '15 leftover. The black cover covers the cable adjustment rings.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Looks like 3rd party for you ...just be careful you get one with the correct clutch switch tab ( guess how I know about that ) sigh

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Yep, just went back and looked at some pics and it did have the cover. Nothing on the right side, though, which is what I remember since I occasionally used the adjuster on it. Seems I thought clutch lever was pretty far away as well...I think I put a little extra Play in the cable to compensate. You could put a rubber band around it to hold it towards the bar. I have Pazzo shorties on the V2 and really like them - great for a 2-finger pull, maybe 3 if your fingers and gloves aren't too fat. I used regular Pazzo on the GSXS, which are slightly shorter than OEM, but some days I kind of wish I had used shorties on it, too. Both sides are adjustable. Short might not be the best if it's a hard pull.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
FWIW, I have adjustable, folding, and extendable levers from the2wheels on my 2015 DL650A.

The specific model I have (LE6FE_SU) has the correct clutch switch tab, but doesn't appear available on their website any longer (which is where I bought them). Looks like they're still listed in their eBay store, however.

Their compatibility chart (on both website and eBay) isn't up to date. When I bought mine, I bought the version compatible with 2011-2012 VStrom 650. Looks like the eBay item linked above is compatible with the 2011-2012 VStrom 650, so probably the same ones (though I can't guarantee it).

If you don't want folding or extendable, they have other options, too. Took a short while for me to become accustomed to the folding feature, as it introduced additional up / down play in the lever, but now it doesn't bother or concern me. And I have mine extended not-at-all, so basically shorties. I went with the extendable (rather than just shorties) because I wasn't certain the full length would fit inside my handguard frames, or if the shorties would fit my hands.

Turns out I like these in their shorty configuration and can fit all but 1/2 of my pinky on both levers (I have small hands).

For both brake and clutch, I can't use ALL 7 settings -- on the brake side, adjusting too close to the bars for a very short reach eventually meant I ran out of space to fully engage the lever and achieve full braking power (b-a-d). On the clutch side, adjusting for a short reach meant the lever pushed the trigger button (tweaking the rotation of the control pod solved that problem easily).

At any rate, I can use enough of the adjustment settings to shorten enough that I find them more comfortable than stock.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking for some insight regarding the amount of space between the clutch lever and bar. I feel that I have to extend my hand quite far to reach it. I've attached a pic. It's about 2 1/2" at the narrow side and 4 1/4" at the widest side. Does it look to be normal? Is there a way to reduce the space without altering the clutch cable slack (currently set correctly).

Thanks for any feedback!
Jstrom15, one of my riding partners has the same series Vstrom650 as yours, and I asked him to measure his clutch handle spacing to compare with yours. His measures 2" at the narrow side and 4" at the widest side. Is it possible that your lever is bent, perhaps happening before your purchased the bike?
Brake and clutch levers are notoriously soft to avoid damaging the handle perch or the handlebar itself during "an event". For what little they cost, you might want to order an oem clutch lever and compare measurements to what you have now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
MAZE4ME - I appreciate you asking your riding buddy to check. My measurements may be off slightly. Pretty close anyway to his specs.

Anyway, I stopped by a dealer over the weekend and confirmed that my lever isn't abnormal in terms of spacing from the bar. It's a new OEM clutch lever that was installed last season after a tip over.

I think what happened during my 1st ride of the season (my 2nd season as rider) was I gripped the lever too far to the right. This weekend I positioned my hand to the far left which improved leverage and greatly reduced fatigue.

Thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bikehigh - thanks for the tip. I'll take a look. They look like another good option if I decide to give the aftermarket a try.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts