StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried bending the clutch lever so there's not an acre of space between it and the grip? My hands aren't small, but I commute 5 days and I'm really getting some bad pains. I tried adjusting the dial, but that doesn't bring it any closer to the grip. There's a lot of dead space in my pull and I need to get rid of it.

·
Administrator
16,795 Posts
Adjusting the dial did bring my clutch lever a bit closer to the grip, it isn't a huge difference but at least it is some. My bike dropped in the garage the other day, so now I have a nice lil stubby clutch lever. :lol: There may be some better clutch levers out there, better suited for you. If I discover any....I will let you know.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Take a small, flat, fine file and shave a small amount off of the contact point shown.... keep filing and checking until the lever is about 1/4 inch closer to the handgrip, thats all it takes. I can now get 4 fingers on the lever. An added benefit is slightly easier clutch pull because the new contact point adds more "leverage".

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Does the clutch fully disengage? No problems with getting it into first when you are stationary? I'd be concerned that I wasn't limiting the actual clutch release.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, the clutch fully disengages with room to spare, of course, it engages a little sooner but you quickly get used to it. Try this...go squeeze your lever in and you will notice the last 1/4 to 3/8 inch is a real b***h. This mod eliminates that problem. Sometimes it's the little things that make a big difference!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Nighthawk, I'll try that this weekend. I've been paying attention and about 1/4" feels like it should work. My last bike was a Honda Shadow and I'm really enjoying how "techincal" the V-Strom is. I'm a tinkerer and this is so much more fun that just adding chrome.

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Are you guys talking about 1000's or 650's?

It would be helpful if people would mention what bike they ride some place in their signature file.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Heavy, the 650 has a cable and does not have the adjusting wheel on the lever. But it does work nicely.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Heavy said:
Cable and no reach adjustment on the 650?

+1 in the 1000 column! :wink:
But the pull is slightly easier on the 650's cable clutch...so let's call it a draw. :D

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
And a cable is very easy to adjust for friction point. And there is no slave cylinder pushrod and seal waiting to get scored by the gunk the sprocket and chain deposit inside the case. There are new parts to take care of that in the DL1000 though.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nighthawk's solution works great. Thanks! My file was too thick, so I finished the cut with a hacksaw. The pull is easier and the clutch is fully disengaged with enough pull to spare. I shaved about 1/16" and set the dial to 4.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts