StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 09 wee and when I start it I have noticed something. Especially when it has been sitting over night, I pull in the clutch and start it, I notice a very quick and slight surge as though the clutch is not completely released. After riding it, it is fine. Should I be parking it in neutral? Is this something to be concerned with? It has about 22,000 miles.
Thanks

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,424 Posts
Any clutch will have some drag, especially when cold and on first startup.

That said, it could be that yours is just needing a little adjustment to make up for a slightly stretched cable and other wear. If that is the case the mechanism isn't pushing the pressure plate away from the clutch quite as far as it used to and that would explain exactly what you describe.

There is a proper way to adjust the DL 650 clutch, the cable is the last part of the process.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Should I be parking it in neutral? Is this something to be concerned with?
Thanks
Clutch drag when first starting up is not unusual. If you park in neutral the drag will show as a clunk when shifting into first. While that also is not a problem you can avoid it by pulling in the clutch lever while still in neutral and revving the engine once or twice to break it loose.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I park my Vee in gear but shift into N before starting.

·
Premium Member
4,196 Posts
Your bike is like a dog, when you sit on it, it's thinking it will be going for a walk soon.. all excited.. then you start the bike and it's like "WOO HOO... LET's GO..." and it tries to run, but then it realizes the human has it by the bars, so it settles down to wait a minute..

Hurry up slow Human.. ;)

·
Registered
706 Posts
I park my Vee in gear but shift into N before starting.
Same here. If I start with it in gear, I get the light roll ahead on the start as well.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The good news..

Its not a BMW K1200LT Clutch.. It may make a clunk sound at startup.. but it still works

·
Registered
835 Posts
The good news..

Its not a BMW K1200LT Clutch.. It may make a clunk sound at startup.. but it still works
Why are you discussing a light truck on a motorcycle forum? :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Same here. If I start with it in gear, I get the light roll ahead on the start as well.
Me too.... in the winter it grabs enough to reset the dash clock...

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you start it in gear, before you press the start button (with clutch disengaged), role the bike forward or backward a few inches to unstick the clutch plates.

It's easier on the battery and starter if you start it in neutral. Also the clutch throw-out bearing will be well oiled before you put it
under stress.

Jim

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I will change the routine to start in Neutral.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts