StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if what I'm about to describe means the clutch isn't engaged or what, but it makes zero sense to me. I'm replacing my chain and sprockets, so I had to remove the clutch cable assembly. 2008 650. I watched a video on adjustment, which I did, but the following things happen with my bike on a stand:

• The wheel spins freely in neutral. It doesn't move at all in gear.
    • Makes sense to me
  • If the assembly is hooked up and adjusted, holding the clutch lever does not disengage the clutch. Wheel doesn't spin if in gear.
    • Doesn't make sense, it should spin
  • If I tighten the pushrod all the way in, holding the clutch lever also does not disengage the clutch. However, with a little force, the wheel spins.
    • Doesn't make sense, seems like clutch isn't being disengaged enough?
  • If I loosen the pushrod more than it should be, still no disengagement. Wheel doesn't spin.
    • Makes sense since it's like I'm removing it
  • If I remove the assembly and push on the pushrod myself, the same outcome as tightening the pushrod all the way.
In all those cases, I can shift freely with my bike on a stand. I have no idea if that's normal; this is my first time doing this.

Prior to changing my chain, the clutch worked fine so I'm completely lost on what's happening!

Thanks

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,946 Posts
I don't know if what I'm about to describe means the clutch isn't engaged or what, but it makes zero sense to me. I'm replacing my chain and sprockets, so I had to remove the clutch cable assembly. 2008 650. I watched a video on adjustment, which I did, but the following things happen with my bike on a stand:

• The wheel spins freely in neutral. It doesn't move at all in gear.
    • Makes sense to me
  • If the assembly is hooked up and adjusted, holding the clutch lever does not disengage the clutch. Wheel doesn't spin if in gear.
    • Doesn't make sense, it should spin
  • If I tighten the pushrod all the way in, holding the clutch lever also does not disengage the clutch. However, with a little force, the wheel spins.
    • Doesn't make sense, seems like clutch isn't being disengaged enough?
  • If I loosen the pushrod more than it should be, still no disengagement. Wheel doesn't spin.
    • Makes sense since it's like I'm removing it
  • If I remove the assembly and push on the pushrod myself, the same outcome as tightening the pushrod all the way.
In all those cases, I can shift freely with my bike on a stand. I have no idea if that's normal; this is my first time doing this.

Prior to changing my chain, the clutch worked fine so I'm completely lost on what's happening!
Not really sure what problem you are having here.
Does the bike not ride correctly now that you have replaced the chain and sprockets?

Note that there will always be stiction in the clutch. That is why in the morning your neutral to 1st will always be clunky. The plates will not willingly separate. Suzuki's are worse than some other bikes in this regard. That is the nature of a wet clutch that has been sitting with its plates compressed overnight.
Perfectly normal.
If you put a cold V-Strom into gear, pulled the clutch, and attempted to spin the rear wheel you would most likely fail.

Have you test ridden the bike yet? If not, adjust the clutch as shown below, and take it for a test ride. There may be nothing wrong at all.
p.s. Although Suzuki recommends 20-30mm cable slack many here adjust to 30-40mm, especially with an aged chain.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Since you had to remove the clutch worm gear assembly (middle pix in the above post #2), there is a possibility of missing ball bearings or the chance of the worm gear not installed correctly. See #4 of Clutch adjustment

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright folks, turns out I just wasn't confident enough to trust my hands. Everything was totally fine. Jim, your video definitely helped confirm I was doing it right!

To recap, I expected 1st + clutch to spin as freely as neutral, which evidently isn't the case. Live and learn!!

Side note: harbor freight chain remover/riveters are junk. There's a reason why they're $15 while "real" ones are nearly $100

1 - 5 of 5 Posts