StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Woke this morning, rolled the bike out of the garage, started up, then noted very little clutch fluid and difficulty shifting. There's been some gunge collecting under the transmission for a few weeks now, methinks I know where this is coming from now.

Power-shifted the 20mi into the dealer, they are sorting sometime today. They've given me their V-Strom 650 demo (in blue) to ride until mine gets sorted. So far I'm impressed, but it's really different in the corners!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Clutch Leak

The clutch piston operates right next to the countersprocket and can get a lot of dirt and crud on the cylinder walls. Mine was leaking also so I just pulled it (the piston) out and washed it in more Dot 4 then reassembled - no leak since. The seal is only a $3.50 part that I now have on hand if the leak ever comes back.

Tom
Gainesville, Mo.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks TPadden, but not so simple on mine.

The slave cylinder corroded through, so it's a new one...hopefully on warranty as this isn't a typical Suzuki failure. Still riding the DL650.

·
Registered
53 Posts
GB #121 said:
Thanks TPadden, but not so simple on mine.

The slave cylinder corroded through, so it's a new one...hopefully on warranty as this isn't a typical Suzuki failure. Still riding the DL650.
Not so bad ..... it isn't a BMW :lol:

The whole slave is only $61 and very easy to change - I could do it and bleed the thing in about 30 minutes!

Part # 23 at http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/300_0331/clutch/clutch.cfm

Part Number: 23160-06G01
Description: CYLINDER COMP,C
Price: $61.29

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Tom. Will let you know what the cost damage was here!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm having a similar problem.

Suddenly, 2 days ago, all the brake fluid was gone in the black box near the clutch handle.
Filled it + purged the air. Then drops appeared on the lower site of the enige.
He's in the dealers shop now.

Apparantly the 'clutch pump' causes the problem.

·
Registered
53 Posts
xlrider said:
Apparantly the 'clutch pump' causes the problem.
I think is is clearly a design brain fart :lol: !

Whoever designed a slave cylinder that is open to chain/ countersprocket sludge never took a bike down a dirt road. At least it is a cheap and easy repair. Just glad I had returned from Alaska before mine pissed itself.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bit of a concern, DL1000 is still in the shop a week later awaiting parts.

I'm still running around on the demo DL650 N(blue). Next week is the start of the new registrations here in the UK, so I'm hoping it will be sorted and out before the rush begins. No word yet from Suzi on warranty.

I've enjoyed the DL650, the engine seems more refined than the DL1000, but I miss the raw grunt of my bike.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Keep us posted - not good news that your dealer can't get an inexpensive, common, part OVERNIGHT. Even in the backwoods of Missouri UPS brings my parts in 3 days to a week at most.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My dealer told me it's an 'know' problem with the engine that goes back to the TL1000 engines.

And what's even stranger, the replacement part we got from Suzuki is not the same as the original. It has an extra rubber ring.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
xlrider said:
My dealer told me it's an 'know' problem with the engine that goes back to the TL1000 engines.

And what's even stranger, the replacement part we got from Suzuki is not the same as the original. It has an extra rubber ring.
Suzuki seems to be very good about fixing defects in parts design for future production. They seem terrible about recalling machines that have the old parts. I don't think they ever do. So far, I'm aware of the part mentioned here, the DL1000 clutch basket, wheel bearing seals on the AN650, and a drive gear bushing on the AN650. I've heard similar feedback from owners of other Suzuki models.

Based on the experience with my 2003 Suzukis, I'd be reluctant to buy any Suzuki new model again before the third year of production. They make some very innovative bikes, and overall the bikes perform very well. But Suzuki does not step up to the plate to take care of customers who purchase early production machines. You have to learn about a problem via word of mouth or Internet, then you have to get your dealer to twist Suzuki's arm to get the part replaced under warranty. If an owner calls Suzuki customer support directly, they don't "know" about the problem. The other alternative is to wait for the part to fail...

I like the products. I am not impressed with product support.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pauljo, don't be too tough on Suzuki, Kawasaki is the same way in regards to repairing defects in newer production machines. When Kaw came out with the Vulcan 1500 classic back in 1996 defects started showing up in the "plastic" oil pump gear. After several thousand miles the gear would strip and poof.....no oil. This resulted in several engines seizing up. The defect also showed up in successive models up to 1999 or 2000, I can't remember which, before they started installing the metal gear at the factory.

Anyway, it took a very long time to get Kawasaki to repair the damage under warranty. The kicker was you had to wait till the damage was done! Not being one to want to be on a bike at 75mph plus and have the engine seize, I elected to replace the plastic gear with a steel one. Unfortunately this required the complete disassembly of the motor (split the cases) to access the oil pump gear.

There was also another common defect on that bike that allowed the carb to ice up under certain weather conditions. This made the bike run on one cylinder. The condition was termed "gasperitus" by the Vulcan Owners and Riders Club.

Kawasaki didn't "recall" any of their bikes regarding the oil pump gear, whose failure could be very hazardous. I don't believe you'll find a motorcycle manufacturer that has "recalled" any bikes. They normally just send out a "service bulletin" to their dealer network.

So don't think Suzuki is any worse than any of the others. They are all the same. I'm just glad my DL has no major defects that can't be easily remedied. So far it hasn't exhibited any other than the (minor) "chudder" which was mitigated by the installation of a PCIII. It is certainly a BLAST to ride!!!

So.......ride 'em like ya stole 'em, if they break, fix 'em.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't want to beat this to death either, but just because they all do it, doesn't make it OK. I think we should express dissatisfaction with all manufacturers who let product defects slide. The problem is that unless there is one manufacturer who is clearly better than the rest, it is hard to vote with our dollars. I think Honda used to be in that position, but I seriously question whether they still are. Honda HAS issued recalls within the past couple of years, but they all seem to be for defects that carry a high potential for personal injury - basically lawsuit avoidance.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Suzuki seems to be very good about fixing defects in parts design for future production. They seem terrible about recalling machines that have the old parts. [/quote

While I have not had any personal problems with a suzuki product (03 vinson 4x4) I have read similar things from other atv owners online. Seems to be a common theme.

Regarding honda, I still belive they have a superior product and reputation for longevity, assuming regualr maintenance is kept up on. Problem is, their durable products may not always perform as well as some others (think atv's) or, they maybe just don't have a product I'm looking for (like a Vstrom :) )

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
DooFighter said:
Regarding honda, --snip-- Problem is, their durable products may not always perform as well as some others (think atv's) or, they maybe just don't have a product I'm looking for (like a Vstrom :) )
Yep, that is why I own two Suzukis. Neither are mainstream, but both make me grin. Honda is too "committee saddled" in their designs - they lean toward conservative, try to please everyone, don't offend anybody, stuff. To an extent, that works well for them. I find it boring. (I'm talking about most of their lineup - they do occasionally come up with a winner.) The smaller manufacturers are more likely to go out on a limb with a design - and the descriminating customer can enjoy products like the V-Stroms. 8)

I applaud Suzuki's design team, but feel they should improve their customer support effort. I never meant to insinuate that the entire company is bad.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Dealer called, clutch is fixed but Suzuki decline to repair under warranty (it expired 5mos ago). :?

Unsure of cost at the moment, still riding the loan DL650. Left the DL1000 in for annual service. Will let you know Weds night when I pick the bike up.

Still think Suzuki should have picked this up under warranty.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
End result?

54GBP for the clutch slave cylinder, 2.31GBP for more fluid, and then 1 hour labour for the repair. Total was just shy of 100GBP, or $176.84US.

Still disappointed that Suzuki wouldn't absorb this under warranty (a clutch slave cylinder shoudn't fail in 29mos), but it could have been worse. Dealer was surprised chain was still good after 14300mi, says it's all down to care and attention. :D

Missed my bike, even the grips are larger. And 0 to whatever is just so much fun on the DL1000! Gotta be yellow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad - anyone else leaking out of warranty installing a new slave couldn't be easier; no mechanical skills required. Again - after pulling the piston and washing both it and the slave cylinder in Dot-4 mine hasn't leaked since.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts