StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't suppose anyone in Utah or a surrounding state has a clutch cover Gasket? I can't believe not one dealer in the state of Utah has one in stock...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Practically no non scheduled maintenance parts are stocked. With so many years and models, it's cost prohibitive.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just seems odd to me.. Its the same gasket for all the DL1000's and SV1000's. I would think with occasional clutch work that people do that someone would carry one..

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
Well if its all clean then use high temp silicone

clean surface with brake clean
RUB on the silicone you must make sure it is adhered to the surface not just beaded on it

wait a moment

put together , bolt up

wipe excess for cosmetics

after 15 minutes ride away

Looks like plastic but itsnot

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I wouldn't try it. Get a proper gasket. It's a long, narrow bead and doing it fast enough to keep it wet without over or under doing any part would be difficult. There's also a double coolant passage under pressure that has special sealant on the gasket. RTV silicone squeeze out likes to ball up, break off and dam oil passages if over applied.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,609 Posts
I agree with Greywolf. Silicone is a real problem when it gets inside an engine! If you simply must try to get the bike back together till the new gasket comes in, I would try using Hylomar around the coolant ports. I done this during testing with no coolant leaks. I used one gasket 7 times! But they were only on there for at most a couple hundred miles.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im just impatient but am learning patience.. This week is suppose to finally be a good sunny week with some warmer temps and I just put this engine in so I was hoping to get some seat time with the better weather.. I do a lot of alone long distance riding and don't want to risk either of the water ports leaking. I will wait, I just don't want to.. :frown: Guess I'll ride the KLR..

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
If your old gasket came off without really falling apart (the teflon coating kind of flakes, no matter what), re-use it. What's the harm if it doesn't work? It'll leak a little. Big whoop...you have another on order when the new one shows up put it on and there ya go.

I re-used mine that way, and 2,000 miles later it's still leak-free, just fine. Plus, I have a spare or one for the next time I have to pull it.

I wouldn't re-use prior to a trip or something, but for me it was worth the small gamble.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I reused mine too with a very light coat of black RTV at the water jackets. I have no leak problems. I also have been assembling engines for years and have used the RTV silicones in many applications with out any trouble. If you go gooping it on there in large blobs I can see trouble.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If I didn't have my KLR I think I would do a temporary re-use, but as much as it pains me I will wait.. I am ordering two btw so I have one on the shelf along with a water pump o-ring..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts