StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For anyone sittin on the fence regarding clutch basket repair my feelings are "don't wait" It does not get better on its' own plus repair is easy. I had my basket repaired by Werks. Fast turnaround, accurate repair and what a difference it has made. Money well spent, Thanks Terry

·
Registered
215 Posts
For anyone sittin on the fence regarding clutch basket repair my feelings are "don't wait" It does not get better on its' own plus repair is easy. I had my basket repaired by Werks. Fast turnaround, accurate repair and what a difference it has made. Money well spent, Thanks Terry
I had Terry mod my basket back in 2018, well worth the cost. Also for those that don’t know it Terry a a great guy to talk with, lots of knowledge.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Terry just rebuilt mine and it is in transit back to me in PEI Canada, can't wait to try it out but may have to wait 3-4 months for the winter to pass. Sigh!

·
Super Moderator
16,239 Posts
Did my previous 06 1000 with one of Terry's baskets, the before and after difference in ride-ability and smoothness was very obvious.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
Maybe dumb question, OP, but...did the Werks mod have any effect on idle hammer?

My Vee has been doing this for quite a while. No apparent ill effects, just odd.

I only notice it when idling in N. The noise either goes away (or the engine noise drowns it out) above idle. Pulling in the clutch even a little makes the noise go away. Pretty sure that's idle hammer and not clutch chudder, anyway.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,186 Posts
Idle hammer can go away when you pull in the clutch lever. But usually doesn't change unless you rev the engine a bit. Idle hammer is most noticeable after running the bike fairly hard in higher temperatures. Like riding the interstate at speed. Take an exit ramp and when you pull up to stop, the noise will be quite obvious. Most of the time you will have the clutch pulled in and it still does it.

If the noise goes away when you pull in the clutch lever, most commonly that is usually going to be caused by wear in the inner plate of the clutch basket. Part of the clutch chudder problem.

·
Farkle Purchasing System
1,613 Posts
No, I hear the noise any time the engine is running. Cold or hot, whenever idling in N, as long as clutch is out (engaged).

I suppose I'll monitor for now, see if any other clutch chudder symptoms show up.

I had the clutch side engine cover off last summer to do a water pump rebuild. Was a huge PITA so I'm not eager to have to get in there again soon.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,186 Posts
That is almost certainly a worn clutch basket. Other symptoms are probably there, they come on slowly and you don't realize how bad they are. No worries, it won't break!

That said, the engine will ALWAYS be quieter when you pull in the clutch lever. The inner hub, transmission gears and bearings slow or stop when you do that. The actual clutch basket....is locked to the crank and doesn't slow down!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts