StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I took a Vee for a test ride today (as well as a Wee) and I ended up making an offer on the Vee which was accepted. Looks like I will be a Vee owner hopefully sometime this week!

The only issue I am concerned about is something that happened during the ride. I did a section of heavy traffic and when the RPMs dropped quite low and I accelerated hard, the bike started making a loud "BAM BAM BAM" sound. It sounded like an anti aircraft gun ! It was a big bang every half a second or so until the RPM increased. It wasnt back firing or anything involving the exhaust, it was within the engine. I am assuming that I was lugging the engine, and after that I kept the RPM above 3000 and didnt suffer any issues.

So is this the dreaded clutch chudder, or was I lugging the engine, or is it some other thing that should cause me concern? What rpm do you guys run the engine at while cruising?

Also, The bike I rode never got more than two squares of temperature. This is despite sitting stationary at red lights for two minutes or more on a quite warm summer day (I was sweating while waiting for the lights to change). I thought the bike would get up to at least 3 bars in stop and go traffic. I know that under the same circumstances the cooling fan on my GSX 650F would have kicked in.

I was pretty happy with the bike and I liked it more than the Wee. The bike is pretty immaculate and apparently was owned by the mechanic of the dealership (yeah I know that sounds like a line, but I trust the dealership owner, no slick salesman etc, just bike enthusiasts).

EDIT: It's a 2008 with 38,000km.

·
Registered
269 Posts
It sounds to me like you were lugging the engine. My Vee is not happy below 3k RPM... The clutch chudder on mine occurs between 3500-4000 RPM and its more of a rattle than anything else...

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Yep that's a VEE

Doc it hurts when I do this
Well don't do that.

If you feel like it that responds to a remap and minimally a good tune up
tps tbs

You can ride 200000 miles without doing a thing

·
Registered
522 Posts
Normal for a Vee with a lean map. You can clean it up a little and then engine will pull smoothly from 2500rpms. The best thing to do is keep the tach needle above 3K and all will be fine. The engine on the Vee responds a lot differently than a torquey inline 4. It took me quite a while to make the riding adjustment.

Chudder is a completely different animal. Do a search for the chudder test here and you can see if yours suffers from it. If it does, get a hold of realshelby and he'll fix it up proper.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
likely it was lugging. i find that the under hard acceleration the V pings a lot which sounds a bit more like steel balls bouncing around inside the engine. this too is allegedly cured by a remap.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Mine coughs and spits some if I keep it between 2500-3000 rpms.It runs hard above that.I have had clutch shudder for almost 30,000 miles and it still runs strong.Oddly though everytime I pull the stator cover off, when I put it back on the shudder is almost gone for a 100 miles or so !!.I wonder if it has amything to do with the starter gears that come out and need to be put back in everytime ??.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
64 Posts
You were lugging the engine
Throwing 1/2 a litre paint tin around causes that kind of reaction I guess.
I have a Vee (and the mrs has a Wee) and have found that there is no real need to do any fueling adjustments to get it to run nice and sweet

Doing the basics (TPS, TBS, setting the 2nd flies) will see the bike run nicely
I can lug down to 2500 easy and accelerate away without a change down although if I really gas it (full throttle kinda stuff) then it gets unhappy doing what you explain tho which is a normal thing to happen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts