StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any direct experience with a Realshelby modified basket on their bike ?

I love my bike, but the vibration that just popped up in the last 2k miles, My bike, it has 10k miles on it now and seems more noticeable after I went to a partial synthetic oil.

Would changing out the basket help ?

TY for any input.
Manshoon

· Registered
7,576 Posts
more noticeable after I went to a partial synthetic oil
Wet clutch friction characteristics will depend on the additive package in the oil, not the base oil that is used. If the synthetic blend oil you used is a motorcycle oil, then it just has an additive package that causes the chudder-y clutch to react differently.

Engine oil is about 75 - 80% base oil, either conventional oil or synthetic, or a mix, and 20-25% additives -- antiwear agents, antifriction agents, antifoamants, oxidation inhibitors, corrosion inhibitors, pour point depressants, viscosity index improvers, dye, etc.

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Anyone have any direct experience with a Realshelby modified basket on their bike ?

I love my bike, but the vibration that just popped up in the last 2k miles, My bike, it has 10k miles on it now and seems more noticeable after I went to a partial synthetic oil.

Would changing out the basket help ?

TY for any input.
Manshoon
I have a realshelby basket in my bike. So far it has been wonderful. I now have just over 5000 miles on it. I changed my oil from dino oil to synthetic at 500mile mark. My chudder did not come on until 15000 miles and was very bad by 20000. I could not stand it any longer so I sent it in to be modified. The bike now runs as it did before it had the chudder.

I have gone from dino oil to Mobil 1 synthetic in all of my bikes. At the change and from there on out I have never felt or had any difference of feel in the clutch. When I took my bike apart at over 20000 mile to send realshelby the basket to modify my clutch looked as new. There was only one friction plate that showed any signs of wear.

I would not change the basket I would send it in to be modified. A new basket will fix the problem for a short time and then it will return. A modified basket looks to be a permanent fix.

· Registered
522 Posts
I also run one of Realshelby's "werks" baskets in my '07. I run Rotella 15w40 dino oil with zero issues. I actually ran Mobile 1 15w50 prior to the basket change and prefer the Rotella. It has held up nicely and my tranny is still shifting smooth. I have just a bit under 3K since the basket mod with zero issues.

I must also say that it is far better to get your basket done than buy new. Realshelby does a very nice job and I have zero remorse. It really made my Vee a smooth ride again.

· Registered
246 Posts
I am a recent convert to the Realshelby basket mod.
He provided me with a fully modified basket which has machined shims requiring no welding, also a new brass (I think) bushing. Excellent work overall. Since installation the bike has been quieter at idol and smoother in the 3500-4000 rpm range.
My riding style has become much more relaxed since I'm not rushing through that rpm range, also I am able to run in 6th at a slower (a little) speed since there's no vibration under 4k.
Overall I am extremely pleased with this mod, I used to think the vibration didn't bother me-it's only sound, there's no wear or danger to the bike- but now that it's gone I like the bike much better.

YH

· Registered
3,864 Posts
I've got over 30K on the Realshelby basket in my Vee (I was one of the first guinea pigs)... it's still working perfectly, no chudder at all.

· Registered
417 Posts
realshelby just his latest mod on my 03 basket last week. I have only put a few miles on it since it was installed yesterday but I can already tell it is much much better than before. I highly reccomend this mod.

· Registered
66 Posts
Count me in as a satisfied Realshelby modified basket user. Terry shimmed/welded my basket and I left for Alaska about 2 months afterward. 12K miles later and zero problems on my '03 Vee. The *only* thing I noticed is that there's a secondary vibration that comes on at 4K RPM that was completely masked by the chudder. I've spoken to Terry and there may be some proof that the rev 2.0 baskets will reduce/eliminate that vibration as well... in any case, definitely mod the clutch basket if the chudder is bothersome, it's the best mod I've made to improve rideability!

· Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Count me in as a satisfied Realshelby modified basket user. Terry shimmed/welded my basket and I left for Alaska about 2 months afterward. 12K miles later and zero problems on my '03 Vee. The *only* thing I noticed is that there's a secondary vibration that comes on at 4K RPM that was completely masked by the chudder. I've spoken to Terry and there may be some proof that the rev 2.0 baskets will reduce/eliminate that vibration as well... in any case, definitely mod the clutch basket if the chudder is bothersome, it's the best mod I've made to improve rideability!
Where is some info on this Rev 2.0 basket at, mays well go all the way if cost isn't to high.

Thank you all for the input also.

· Registered
1,653 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
I've spoken to Terry and there may be some proof that the rev 2.0 baskets will reduce/eliminate that vibration as well... in any case, definitely mod the clutch basket if the chudder is bothersome, it's the best mod I've made to improve rideability!
Careful with the highlighting there... from talking to Terry, I don't think there's 100% proof so contact him before making any decision for sure!

· Registered
1,653 Posts
Careful with the highlighting there... from talking to Terry, I don't think there's 100% proof so contact him before making any decision for sure!
It did make a difference on mine though YMMV. The other thing that it did for mine was from about 6000 rpm up mine had a nasty secondary vibration that went away. I am very happy with my basket and I am glad that I did it.

· Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,932 Posts
Just to clarify a couple things: The "2.0" version, while as good as a new basket in performance did not have the refinement the current version does. There was only a few of the "2.0" versions built and while they are still in service and doing well they were all prototypes. What I learned from those helped further the development. I have been building the "WERKS" version since late last year. While there may be subtle refinements to the parts and materials this is the design I plan to carry on with as it is now. The addition of the second bearing was a breakthru in performance. Especially in the 4000 and up rpm range. I spent several weeks testing/developing this design in my Vee I had the basket out well over 15 times! From this testing I learned that the right thickness shim absolutely made the under 4000 rpm much better controlled than running without them. Overall better than a brand new basket. I need to take some time and post the pictures and updates about the new basket on the clutch basket modification thread.

Merfmann and I talked about his basket recently. He is running the "shim mod" basket. While they eliminate chudder they just don't have the refinement that a fully modified basket has. Because there is still some movement of the internal parts there can be varying degrees of vibrations felt. Most of these were probably there before the shim mod was made, but with the chudder gone they become noticeable.

· Registered
299 Posts
I'm running Terry's "werks" version basket with mobil 1 synthetic and am very satisfied. I've got about 3k miles on the basket now and it works the same as when I installed it.

I was very pleased with the workmanship, turn around time, and price. I do think the additional features of the werks version is totally worth it, I would not consider just the shim mod, the added bearing is important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.