StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently removed and replace the front sprocket on my 05 DL 650 and in doing so had to remove the worm gear that attaches to the clutch cable to allow for shifting. I reinstalled that worm gear but I have no tension on the clutch cable and the clutch is not being actuated. My installation looks just like the picture I took before I took it apart but I can’t figure out why the clutch isn’t working! Any ideas??

·
Registered
650 Posts
Were you very,very careful with the clutch release mechanism? It has a bunch of little steel balls that like to get loose, run away, hide, and make disrespectful noises at the owner. If you can find all of them put them back in place with some thick grease to hold them in place while you assemble the release mechanism.

Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
and I did encounter that little problem. After buying a few more bearings I did get all 11 of them back in there in what I think is their proper place. It’s very odd. The cable has no slack in it and when I pull the clutch handle the cable moves up as it should. But there is no tension on it. And it’s really not grabbing the clutch for whatever reason

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had "issues" after replacing chain and sprockets on my 2007 model. On mine the clutch would not engage. I thought I had burnt the clutch out. But it was that the adjuster under the LHS countershaft sprocket cover went out of adjustment. Check that. If you look at page 2-17 in the Factory Service Manual, you'll see the adjustment procedure.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for the response that talked about it being 180° out, can you please expand your answer a bit? I’m not sure what to move exactly to correct it per your response. Thanks very much!

For the response about looking at the factory service manual, unfortunately I don’t have one. when I took it apart I didn’t undo any of the adjusting nuts. Not sure what LHS meant in your response???

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I only ever pulled mine out once and it was many years ago but this is how I remember it.

The worm sits in groves and twists as it slides home.

As you pull it out look and take note of one of the groves, when you put it back together spin it so it slips down the next grove not the one it was already in.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
for the response that talked about it being 180° out, can you please expand your answer a bit? I’m not sure what to move exactly to correct it per your response. Thanks very much!
When you took the two peices apart, (and the tiny ball bearings fall out), it's those two parts that can be re-assembled incorrectly. Carefully unscrew the worm gear from its housing, turn 180°, and put back together. That should do it.
I used to tape the thing up when I pulled the entire mechanism to get to the sprocket, to prevent it coming apart, but eventually you do need to take it apart to grease the ball bearings. Fresh grease there makes it feel like a new clutch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts