StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:
I purchased clutch and brake lever for my 2011 dl650. I'm wondering if I have to also buy other parts to in stall them? I'm having this done , as im not mechanical in the sense of doing correctly. I WILL mess it up! 馃槶
I attached the pic from Amazon and thats all that comes with them, and here too is a link:

But also, these are relatively cheap, and Im also considering "better" ones?

Thanks!!!

Attachments

Registered
Like dravnx said, it's relatively easy to tackle but I also respect folks that know their limits. I've also been shopping for levers for my '11 Wee "rescue case". There are a lot of keywords I've learned to include in my searches for levers like folding, adjustable, extendable. I've found a few examples roughly in the same price range with some color selections. Stay safe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N7BNJ...olid=2R4V2TV1Y7V6J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6VCD9F...olid=2R4V2TV1Y7V6J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those will work just fine and you don't need anything else. If you don't have hand guards, it's a 5 minute per side job. Add 15 minutes if you have hand guards.
Awesome, thanks! I also have to change the clutch cable, and the shop will do that as well. And putting new air filter and new front/rear brakes. The bike will be so great after this. I need a lot of practice, and the internet allows one to gain the knowledge and skills by following behind many who have gone before and shared. Otherwise, there are so many darn things to know, and.im on tje.femce with everything, and get stumped very easy. Not that i need to go into this right here! But a clutch thats about to break and has already been adjusted to the point of not being able to disengage, is enough to make.me.think-- who a. I fooling.i should sell it. Hah! Wth?!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like dravnx said, it's relatively easy to tackle but I also respect folks that know their limits. I've also been shopping for levers for my '11 Wee "rescue case". There are a lot of keywords I've learned to include in my searches for levers like folding, adjustable, extendable. I've found a few examples roughly in the same price range with some color selections. Stay safe.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N7BNJ...olid=2R4V2TV1Y7V6J&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Amazon.com
Thank you! I like.the 2011 rescue case... Do you mean like charity case, or a case where you have extras when you are wayyyy out in no mans land?

Administrator
Queensland, Australia
@Bennryan Be careful. You have posted in the 2004-11 section and some advertised as suitable do not have the tang on the clutch lever which actuates the clutch lock-out switch.

Your advertisement shows DL650 2011-21 but should show 2004-11. Not positive but these may not work.

These should work, but I cannot from the images see the all-important tang that operates the clutch lock-out switch that is missing from some Chinese origin copies.

The circled part is sometimes missing - even when described as fitting 2004/11 DL650s. The bottom lever is OEM - the upper lever is a shortie adjustable aftermarket said to fit, but which does not.
Sleeve Electric blue Personal protective equipment Fashion accessory Fictional character

Administrator
Queensland, Australia
As an example this set is said to cover
"fitment 7: For Suzuki DL650/V-STROM 2004-2010"
but if you look at image #7 the tang for the clutch switch is clearly missing.

Bicycle part Tool Font Composite material Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh no! Okay, thanks. I will return them. I was thinking more after I posted them, and I'm pretty comfortable leaving the stock on there. I have long enough hands, and so far the stock lever is great. In another post id asked about slipping oxford grip (throttle)...well, I was able to fix that with gorilla glue, as someone else had recommended. I will go back and let him know it works! I scuffed the plastic of throttle housing with sandpaper, as well as the inside of grip to create more grab for the glue. I was going to change out with oem grips but am happy now, since the heat is pretty nice on colder mornings. My bike is my commuter twice per week from san rafael, ca to UC Berkeley. It makes the bike purposeful...for me it inspires me, and forces me to ride. As if I need to use the force! It's damn fun! Especially after six-shot iced latte, which i now use oatmilk. It's like being supercharged. Then the reality of work sets in, like kryptonite 馃槀

Registered
2007 dl650 v strom
Hi All:
I purchased clutch and brake lever for my 2011 dl650. I'm wondering if I have to also buy other parts to in stall them? I'm having this done , as im not mechanical in the sense of doing correctly. I WILL mess it up! 馃槶
I attached the pic from Amazon and thats all that comes with them, and here too is a link:
[/URL]

But also, these are relatively cheap, and Im also considering "better" ones?

Thanks!!!
G'day from the land down under. I've been scrolling through all the posts. Not sure if you said why, or if I just haven't found it yet, but tell me again why do you need/want new levers anyhow? I'm a great believer in "if it aint broke, don't "fix" it!"

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
G'day from the land down under. I've been scrolling through all the posts. Not sure if you said why, or if I just haven't found it yet, but tell me again why do you need/want new levers anyhow? I'm a great believer in "if it aint broke, don't "fix" it!"
Hello! Well, you make a very good point. I have an unsettled nature, and never seem to be satisfied. It's like I get something and want to try and "make it better". Sometimes it's okay...in this case, it's not really necessary to change it. I will say the barrel adjuster on clutch side doesn't spin well, or easily as it should. Maybe I should get a new one? It's like the existing one is stripped? I'm not sure but I'm worried it will be problematic--for one, I can't adjust very easy, and what if being so tight, it will fray the cable? Maybe not. But I also love the idea of advanced levers that adjust? Ahhh! I need to chill 馃ぃ At the very least, you think I could buy a new barrel adjuster? Thanks!

Registered
2007 dl650 v strom
G'day again from the land down under. I understand now. Sometimes these little alterations improve things. I have a wish list of things I would love to install. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on a anti-caravan laser beam? Press a button, and they turn to smoke!! I would love one of those haha. Happy trails Buzz

Registered
2022 VSTROM 650 XTA
2022 DL650, so you decide relevancy to your quest. But I dropped my bike last week (at a standstill) and managed to bend the front clutch lever. Works fine, but I want it back to new. So....yersday, I just went to my local Suzuki dealer in my little one-horse town. He had one in-stock. $20. Geniune OEM

Registered
You need to put some teflon plumbers tape under you clutch and brake perch.

This will allow you to snug down the perches so they stay in place while riding but if you have a fall they can easily move, this will absorb most of the shock and stop stuff breaking, this can save master cylinders and mirrors too.

They should never be that tight they can't move.

Reactions: Glidedon
1 - 17 of 17 Posts