StromTrooper banner

Clutch Basket??

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rider1951 
G
#1 ·
New to the site....I just picked up my new 03 about 3 weeks ago. When (miles) did everyone start having issues with the clutch baskets? Does Suzi have a recall on it or, is it one of those things that they are dealing with on a case by case basis?

G
#2 ·
bundy said:
New to the site....I just picked up my new 03 about 3 weeks ago. When (miles) did everyone start having issues with the clutch baskets? Does Suzi have a recall on it or, is it one of those things that they are dealing with on a case by case basis?
Not every one has experienced the problem. I have over 5000 miles on my '03 and have had no trouble with it. I've read reports where the problem surfaced at various mileage points - there doesn't seem to be any uniformity to it. It is dealt with on a case by case basis - no recall.

#4 ·
My 03 V Strom had the chudder from day one. Had clutch basket replaced under warranty. Dealer was told by Suzuki that early manufactuer 03's had the old clutch baskets. Suzuki first required my dealer to check throttle body synch before replacing basket. Throttle bodies were perfect so basket was replaced. New basket took care of about 2/3rds of the chudder but not all of it. Still, much better than before.

#7 ·
Re: clutch baskets

hond330 said:
i have a brand new 04 with less than 2k miles... is the clutch problem associated with 02 and 03 only or is it happening with 04's too?
i have an 04 dl1000 that has the chudder. it did not have it when i bought it new. it started at about 500 miles. it is not very bad but it is there. my bike was produced march of 04. i have it from a pretty reliable source who wishes to remain anonymous that none of the 04's have the new basket untill the very last production run. seems that suzuki wanted to use up all the old stock first or something like that. they can say the o4's have the new basket because some of them do. so it would appear that if you want one with the upgraded basket you better buy an 05. i bought an 04 because i was told they had the new basket. this was before i found all this out. this really pisses me off as there was an 05 sitting right there i could have bought. i would have put up with the ugly black color to not have the basket problem as the dealer here is a jerk and says "oh, they all do that"

Kaos :cry:

#8 ·
Re: clutch baskets

i bought an 04 because i was told they had the new basket. this was before i found all this out. this really pisses me off as there was an 05 sitting right there i could have bought. i would have put up with the ugly black color to not have the basket problem as the dealer here is a jerk and says "oh, they all do that"

Kaos :cry:[/quote]

I would write Suzuki Customer service and also phone them about your concerns. Keep copies of your letters and if you call get name and reference number. I would also try and find out who the service rep is for your dealer and have them look at the bike. Try and find out how you can write them a letter also. It never hurts to cover all your bases. Make sure that your dealer has a copy of a work order where you have made them aware of your concerns. My 02 had the problem from day one and I was able to get it repaired without too much hassle as I had contacted Suzuki several times. I have an extended warranty so I'm going to see if I can get them to replace the clutch basket with a new version before it expirse.

Good luck and don't give up.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.