StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the dreaded clutch noise at 2800 rpm. Does anyone have a listing of replacement parts (clutch basket) to fix the problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gear assy 21200-06811
Gasket Clutch cover 11482-06G00
3 qts of oil

·
Registered
351 Posts
Clutch

I'd really like to hear a clutch with this problem. The bike is a V-twin and it's going to shake at lower RPM. At times I think this problem is blown out of proportion. I find the bike under load with a passenger actually runs smoother at lower RPM.

scooter

·
Registered
213 Posts
Scooter
If your bike pulls pretty smooth from a stand still then you do not have any problems. Yes the twin is not going to be as smooth as an inline 4. It is not even as smooth as a BMW boxer, but I like the sound and feel better than my old R11RS. With a bad clutch basket the motor has a real rough spot as it passes through the 3000 rpm area. Mine was bad from about 2800 rpms and was not as smooth clear up to about 3800 rpms. Now the the motor feels great and around town riding is like it should be. I think what a lot of people feel is the firing pulses of the V-twin engine. If I remember correctly it does not have any balancers in it. I wish the people that do not have the problem could ride a bike that has a bad basket. It is a night and day difference. I had to put up with mine for 1 1/2 years and 17000 miles. I really thought I had made a mistake in buying the bike but now I'm glad I bought it. It is the most fun and the biggest blast to ride bike I've owned.

Dave

·
Registered
213 Posts
Scooter
Nothing it was covered under the warranty.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I agree with rider1951, the difference between bikes with good and bad baskets is amazing. Mine vibrated so bad between 3-4k that you could actually hear the fairing vibrate and it made my wifes feet go numb, and it got worse under any type of load! It was a totally different feel to the ‘thump thump’ of the firing pulses. I rode another 02 that belonged to the dealer and couldn’t believe the difference. Since the basket was replaced the bike feels so smooth you’d think it was a different engine! Of course, you still feel the firing pulses if you let the revs drop too low. Like Scooter says it’s a V-twin and they all do that.

When the old basket came out you could see the springs in the cush drive through small openings in the side and free play could be felt by hand. The new part was rock solid and had been modified so that the springs were more or less enclosed, I guess there’ll be more differences that you can’t see just by looking. Suzuki must have encountered quite a few problems for them to have made a new part (I had to wait 6 weeks for delivery from Japan). It would be interesting to know when this part found it’s way into the production line. Has it been fitted to any 03’s or will they have waited till production of the new 04? Any 03 riders out there who have had clutch problems?

While I was experiencing problems I was never sure whether it was a problem with the bike or if it was just in my mind! My advice to Paul is get it checked out first with a dealer, or better still try and blag a ride on another Strom that’s had no problems. You’ll know straight away if yours is OK if it’s anywhere near as bad as mine was!

Dave

·
Registered
167 Posts
In stock yet??

Has anybody taked delivery of a clutch basket in the last two weeks??? My dealer is telling me they are still back-ordered.

steve

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
azmotorsports.com

I ordered the parts from azmotorsports.com and they promised a 2-week turn-around (it's been 8 days and I don't have them yet). The price was $234.38 for the 06811 basket and $8l.36 for the cover gasket.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Basket in stock

my dealer called today to tell me the clutch basket parts are in. I'll keep the group posted on how the repairs turn-out.

steve

1 - 11 of 11 Posts